Correct me if I am wrong but....

...Shouldn't you be able to beat the game with out needing a build that gives you 100% resistance to damage?

I am currently level 55, did fine up until Dom. Yes I would die a few times here or there, I am no hardcore try hard, I just clicky click and have fun. Well I did until I realized having 30-40 resist in ele damage was not going to work. So I looked into builds. Got my resists to 75% then looked into more builds. So far every build I find relys on flasks (which is cool) but it relys on them making you IMMUNE to what ever ele damamge you are facing. This seems like a bug with ele damamge being to high so high that if any is allowed to hit, you die.

My build is a Life on hit Melee Splash Multi-Strike build. It works fine for basicly all the game but Dominus. At 75 resist for all ele damamge bar chaos I still almost get one shot and don't have the time or the flask charges to heal back before the next attack.

It seems that if I want to defeat Dom I have to get flasks that cause me to be IMMUNE to all damage. This however is not an option for my build since you gain flask charges via kills or criticals, which I can get.

So my main point to this post is to cry over there being no sustain build in PoE, that I have seen or can figure out how to do with out being IMMUNE to damage which if I was I would not need to 'sustain' my hp.
It's kind of that way but there's an element of actual game play involved especially with Dominus, the black Vaal thingies and a couple others. If you see Dom winding up his fist, that's a clue to move out of the way or you're gonna get it. Same with the Vaal wrecking ball, floating lightning eyeballs that swell up and discharge etc. Sometimes you just have to step out of the way or take a big nasty hit.
You don't need to be immune at all to survive any boss fights, If you have sufficient resistance at the difficulty and boss you are fighting, you should not have much trouble. Like what rarugren said, there are things that will definitely kill you essentially no matter what, and those boss skills are balanced around that. Essentially the very telegraphed animations of bossess are things that require you to manually dodge, such as Dom/Vaal smash, or corrupted boss storm calls, etc. The entire Dominus fight requires you to have high/near cap resistances in all main three resistances except chaos. If you are dying the in the second phase of dominus, make sure you have a bleeding flask, the rain plus his attacks will do plenty of damage over time, especially if you get cursed with vulnerability. If you are still dying however, make sure you have a sufficient life pool to survive the fight in the first place, if you are fighting dominus in normal, you should have over 1000 Hp, over 2000 in cruel, and don't bother with merciless dominus (until act 4).
twitch.tv/djayred

@DjayCrimson
I have 1900(ish) HP ... and I have my resist maxed. I do understand the move from the big spells and I simply don't have the life regen for the fight. (all other bosses I could take a hit or two and still come back from the mistake) I took a closer look at my passives and items ... and I forgot a while back I respected since in normal and cruel I did not NEED base regen, until Dom :).

I think if I respec (assuming we get a full respec after act 4) and get more Life regen and damage from a 5l chest and change my Helm/chest/boots to ones with high HP/Life regen I will beable to almost face tank dom. I do now its just after my flasks run dry hes still over half hp and I have zero means to refill them minus portal which I don't like doing since it should not be needed.
There are several things wrong.

https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgEAAecOPBQgFE0UcRT2GJEb-iE0JIslvCXfKCo6UjqdOzs9Dz38QT9QR1HmWGNfP3Kpdn92rHdTe4x82X31fuCCB4TEhVKGO4tPjM-Uh5d5m2qeV57Fn8ukGacwrY20L7YsvJ_EFcT2xtjPftlh2Xzfst-_5FHqGO8O8kH2SPcy-Ov8Sw==

That should be a far superior skill tree.

With this tree as the aim for high levels.
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAAecOPBQgFE0UcRT2GJEb-iE0JIslvCXfKCo6UjqdOzs9Dz38QT9QR1HmWGNfP3Kpdqx3U3uMfNl99YIHhVKGO4tPjM-Uh5d5m2qexZ_LpBmnMK2NtC-2LLyfxBXE9sbYz37ZYdl837Lfv-RR6hjvDvJB9kj3Mvjr_EusqlnzkFUaOMAaJy8t0p8-_9Nr2TSO_lQNzStQHM5qAZe0VamRzrvt975ul_Kc2L01kjrh8kX-CqZXTeP-j2CRZ1jkrWDEGemGYLakQo7elpgK4kM8Lcautz4=

Feel free to modify it some, but your current tree is just way too inefficient.

Your items are also... really poor. I am not saying you should have top notch items, but the prismatic ring, helmet, amulet, belt and gloves should be extremely easy to replace.

You have 1 life flask for level 34 at level 55.

Your weapons do little damage... I know it can sometimes be hard to find good items, but I've never had the need to have weapons with resistances, nor do you if you spend some alts/alchs to craft some stuff (if you're playing self found) or buy some items from people.
If you lack sustainability, you should use life leech gem, it provides more than enough life gains for most of
elemental builts, as for physical attack builts, they can use life leech mods on gear.
"
Aetherium wrote:
If you lack sustainability, you should use life leech gem, it provides more than enough life gains for most of
elemental builts, as for physical attack builts, they can use life leech mods on gear.

I have used life Leech and so far the only skill I see any effect of life gain from them was Inferno blow and even then it was ONLY if multipule mobs all exploded. Single targets the regen amount was never enough, but then again my build was never focused on high damage. So if I can incress my damage perhit maybe I will use it, until then I will keep life on hit with melee splash and multi strike. right now I get 28 I think per hit and hit 3-3 per sec. I assume that means 3 times per sec with main hand and 3 times per sec with off hand for a total of 6 hits per sec, I don't know if that takes into account Double strike skill and Multistrike or not.

"
Shamanics wrote:
Your items are also... really poor. I am not saying you should have top notch items, but the prismatic ring, helmet, amulet, belt and gloves should be extremely easy to replace.

You have 1 life flask for level 34 at level 55.

Your weapons do little damage... I know it can sometimes be hard to find good items, but I've never had the need to have weapons with resistances, nor do you if you spend some alts/alchs to craft some stuff (if you're playing self found) or buy some items from people.

Thanks for the skill tree change, I have never taken much time for that since the game doesn't really allow you to change your path much unless they reset it. (unless there are high level items that allow you to respec all points)

As for the gear ya I know my helm,chest and boots are not good, the ring is because I need the dex for the skill gem (I forgot to stop leveling it hehe and now have to keep it to use double strike which is my main source of life regen. The weapons, even switching to gear people offered in game that had dbl sometimes 3x the damage still resulted in all skills dropping in overall dps. So I never would keep them, I was told last night that the game displays incorrect dps for skills and I should always try to fight with new weapons a bit before I decide to not use them, not sure if this is true.

And the flasks, I almost never use the hp one except a few unique mobs even then I hit it one time and im fine. I am looking for better flasks I just never seem to see any drop. :/

Thanks for the info
I don't know about resistances... I am making a Leap Slam type character, and incidentally picked up the "southern chain" (from Scion) to Sentinel for 28% resistances. Other than that I think I have 12% from Elementalist over on the left side. I had no problem up until Merciless 3rd Act where my level started falling behind the level of the maps. I've now leveled up to where I am comfortable trying the end run (lvl 67). But it seems to me that if I could do the pyramid boss (I think that is the one you are talking about) or the end boss (3 characters, two to merciless) without even noticing element damage... I just don't see it as that important for the "actual game". You get 1 shot if you are too close or fail to dodge (or evade) the boss' attacks. So don't fail to dodge them! What helped me most was making my left click WALK ONLY. After I took the basic attack off the left click (at like level 20) I found this game a heck of a lot easier (and stopped running back into hoards of mobs). Any suggestions you see regarding "end game builds" is specifically engineered to "not EVER get killed" fighting regular mobs. Thus complete immunity = happy leveling to 100.

(ps. just for kicks I wanted to see if I could take the slam from the pyramid boss guy during the second act... 3k hp, 3k armor, plus armor pot (6k)... 1 shot me... so, my guess is that you are supposed to avoid these attacks (compared to being able to mitigate 3 laser beams in a row from him with the same stats / gear))
Last edited by maouse on Apr 21, 2015, 3:44:14 PM
ya basically, if you see a build guide showing off a build with 100% resistance etc, close that page, look for another build thats not lost up its own backside. Some extreme Uber Atziri boss farming builds make use of that sort of thing, but theyre more likely than not very gear dependent and designed specifically for taking down that uber boss. For general purpose mapping, farming, grinding builds 75% elemental resists is fine. You may find if you are an elemental damage dealer, say a lightning Arc witch, the build will probably run a lightning resistance aura which increases their max lightning resist, this is to deal with Reflect Elemental monsters that reflect a ton of their lightning damage back at them, its not actually to deal with surviving against monsters.

Shamanics tree is a lot better. Those weapons sorely need updating. Regarding tooltip, tooltip from 1 skill to another is often not worth comparing, eg cyclone will always ave a much smaller tooltip but often do way more damage than other skills. however when updating your own weapons, trust the tooltip, if you equip a new weapon and ur dps goes up a load, trust it.

I feel like if you have better weapons youll end up needing to facetank way less. Look for weapons with physical damage. Youre lvl55 and those brightbeaks have 59 pdps (physical damage per second). Did a search on poe.trade (search engine for the trade forums) to see whats out there

http://poe.trade/search/ahitehimarimam

if you sort them by price (click on the orb at the bottom left below all the mods) then scroll down the list, look at the pDPS stat on the right hand side, theres weapons like..

Morbid Ram Ancestral Club
Level: 56 Strength: 179

20% increased Stun Duration on Enemies
123% increased Physical Damage
24% increased Attack Speed
+110 to Accuracy Rating

this has 189.55 pDPS, and you can still use the masters to craft flat physical damage on it, which will take it over 200 physical dps, it will literally deal 4x more damage than one of your brightbeaks. It is priced at 1 orb of alchemy, i mean, thats literally nothing. You can get 2 weapons like that for 2 alchs and do 4x as much damage as youre doing right now, so when you normally have Dominus at 75% life right now, he will be dead with these weapons.

"
soulzjd wrote:
As for the gear ya I know my helm,chest and boots are not good, the ring is because I need the dex for the skill gem (I forgot to stop leveling it hehe and now have to keep it to use double strike which is my main source of life regen. The weapons, even switching to gear people offered in game that had dbl sometimes 3x the damage still resulted in all skills dropping in overall dps. So I never would keep them, I was told last night that the game displays incorrect dps for skills and I should always try to fight with new weapons a bit before I decide to not use them, not sure if this is true.

You should be able to get a level 1 double strike by creating a Shadow and completing the quest Braking eggs (opening the submerged passage). Or you can easily buy one for 1 alch in trade channel.

Also you can only use the respec points from orb of regrets or quests to change your tree, start connecting the tree as I suggested and when something connects and there are some nodes that are just useless respec out of them giving you new points to spend in more useful skills.

Trading makes your life really easy in PoE, if you plan to play this game in the end game you're going to get somewhat used to it.

Also to easily stop leveling a gem when you are at the level you want right click the + symbol when it says to level up and it will go away from your screen (you can level it up by going in the inventory and then it should appear the symbol to level it up)

Also remember you can always use the masters to craft some stats, say you grab a helmet, alchemy it and and is decent, or just happen to come across a decent rare helmet, then master craft dex on it if you need it (very common thing to do at end game).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info