And again - will melee dexterity based builds be forgotten?

thanks GGG - your game is awesome, this is only thing I can(like)to play!

And again - will melee dexterity based builds be forgotten in the new expansion? Look at all those new melee skills they are all RED(http://www.pathofexile.com/theawakening/skills)! This is already a pain to 5R carcass jack, How GGG suppose to play us Evasion based melee chars: How many chroms I need to spend to make all stuff offcolor???

I ripped 5 dexterity melee chars in last 1mHC league. Maybe I don't know how to play(please tell me how you create EHP in mid45-56lvls), but I see such indifference of pure life from str and evasion from dexterity.

And one more thing: Add safe moving skill to dex or remove cast time from smoke mine. Don't use Whirling Blades in HC at all - this is a desyncing suicide in the middle of a pack. Please add stun or damage immunity during the use(using Lightning warp do not look as melee skill with high mana use)

Thank you for reading and sorry for my bad English!
3.0 IC Elemental Facebreaker Ascendant (HHC) - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1972518
2.6 Burning torpedo BLS Berserker(HC) - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1866111
2.5 HoWA BF Elemental Raider - Hybrid 800+int - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1785450
Last edited by Damac0101 on Apr 17, 2015, 8:23:54 AM
For supports, they could use more I guess. You could probably argue that multistrike would make more sense as a green. Lowering your per hit damage to hit faster definitely sounds like a dex based concept.

Cyclone, reave, flicker strike, dual strike and double strike, as far as active skills go id say green kinda dominates.
Last edited by Splift on Apr 17, 2015, 5:03:10 AM
Since I dont play hardcore much I am not qualified. to comment on that,but I do play melee 85% of the time as it is my favorite way too play.

Now this is personal preference but I think evasion is one of the worst mechanics in the game and even when I play a ranged i usually change evasion too armor. And for melee double so. It's like this

You are standing in the middle of the road refusing to move and expecting that somehow that semi truck will not hit you when it gets too you. If you want to "EVADE" it you would have to jump out of the way, which we all know melee doesn't like too do.

Too where armor mitigates some of the incoming damage"even though less effective at higher levels" evasion only gives you a chance to squirm out of the way which can be hard if the whole screen is filled with monster attack.
The only advantage evasion has over armor I believe is the type of damage that can be reduced...I believe you can evade all damage but only reduce physical with armor.

But as a melee character I have found much more use in unwavering stance. Since stun is one of melee's worst enemy's.
And as far as life goes hopefully they will fix the dead zone a little from mid 40 to mid 50's with the re balance. But that will not help me much cause as a personal preference anytime I can take CI I do and especially with melee

You never know I might try a CI evader some day..
those who know little believe they know much.but those who know much have learned of their ignorance

Guild: eclectic gaming council. Diversity is our first name
"
creampuffed4u wrote:
Since I dont play hardcore much I am not qualified. to comment on that,but I do play melee 85% of the time as it is my favorite way too play.

Now this is personal preference but I think evasion is one of the worst mechanics in the game and even when I play a ranged i usually change evasion too armor. And for melee double so. It's like this

You are standing in the middle of the road refusing to move and expecting that somehow that semi truck will not hit you when it gets too you. If you want to "EVADE" it you would have to jump out of the way, which we all know melee doesn't like too do.

Too where armor mitigates some of the incoming damage"even though less effective at higher levels" evasion only gives you a chance to squirm out of the way which can be hard if the whole screen is filled with monster attack.
The only advantage evasion has over armor I believe is the type of damage that can be reduced...I believe you can evade all damage but only reduce physical with armor.

But as a melee character I have found much more use in unwavering stance. Since stun is one of melee's worst enemy's.
And as far as life goes hopefully they will fix the dead zone a little from mid 40 to mid 50's with the re balance. But that will not help me much cause as a personal preference anytime I can take CI I do and especially with melee

You never know I might try a CI evader some day..

I believe that is incorrect. Spells can't be evaded without a mechanic explicitly functioning that way (meaning evasion won't work). Spell Dodge and Spell Block I believe are the only ways of avoiding spell damage.
I like many kinds of games 😊
"

I believe that is incorrect. Spells can't be evaded without a mechanic explicitly functioning that way (meaning evasion won't work). Spell Dodge and Spell Block I believe are the only ways of avoiding spell damage.

Thank you for clearing that up,It makes evasion even worse.:) as I said i didnt know since I really have not tried it just know a lot of guildies has problems with evade.
those who know little believe they know much.but those who know much have learned of their ignorance

Guild: eclectic gaming council. Diversity is our first name
"
I have an Ev/Es melee char. I don't think it's feasible to go CI as an evader simply because you want full ES gear to ensure the CI pays off. EV/ES gear just doesn't get you there ES wise. The decent life pool is a nice fallback.

But I'd love to see someone pull it off.

I did a CI/eva/armor reave build a few leagues ago. All I needed to get 10k evasion was a 500/500 ev/es shield and grace, though I had to sacrifice hatred to use grace. Also managed 8.5k es and 2k armor with incandescent heart. Could've gotten a lot more evasion and ES with a well rolled carnal, but those are kind of tough to find in short leagues.

Evasion is super easy to get in high numbers if you have a fair amount of dex and use grace, the es/ev shadow nodes certainly help too.
IGN: Smegmazoid
Long live the new Flesh
"

However, any Elemental and Chaos Damage from Attacks will be mitigated by Evasion.
Armour does not protect against any sort of Ele/Chaos Damage, but it does protect against Physical Damage Spells and Bear Trap.
tbh with rallying cry , mom right in the dex area and the new claw base dexterity based builds look like they are being revolutionized and i include dexterity melee here too.Dont forget you have vigilant strike and a chest that would work awesome with dextertity , endurance charges and the "can not be evaded " part of the skill. Tri-herald mom life&mana on hit daresso chest vigilant strike build incoming!
ok heres the thing, in my experience evasion is super super strong for melee, but like armour its not enough alone. I would never wear a chest like carcass jack for melee, tbh theres not many builds Id wear it for at all, maybe like casters or trappers who stay well out of harms way.

With evasion melee you really want strong physical mitigation to go along with it, theres 2 ways to go about that. First is lightning coil, thats an ar+ev hybrid chest, hence rolls tons of red and green which is exactly what you want. It gives strong phys mitigation by turning a portion of physical to lightning which you then resist the majority of. It essentially gives you the same mitigation as a fairly decent amount of armour, and then you stack a ton of evasion, use grace aura, ondars guile keystone and grab acrobatics + phase acrobatics. Since the coil nerf this isnt as strong as it once was but its still strong, when combined with a taste of hate flask its super strong and its a hybrid ar+ev chest meaning tons of red sockets as standard.

Second way to go about it is to go hybrid armour + evasion, which in my opinion is probably the strongest defense a melee can take right now. You invest in hybrid ar+ev nodes, if you can grab some life+armour nodes and life+evasion nodes as well thats gg. Then you equip full armour gear, if you make sure you get strong armour rolls on the chest and hat (and shield if you use a shield) youre going to end up with 8-15k armour, youll want to back that up by getting an extra couple of endurance charges, example the oak merciless reward and the endu charge in the duelist area. Then you run grace on top for the evasion, spec ondars guile keystone and youll get between 8k and 11k evasion on top of your armour, so you are essentially getting almost all the benefits of pure armour and pure evasion, youll be wearing an armour chest so red sockets all day.

Pure armour with no significant avoidance and pure evasion with no significant physical mitigation are complete death traps, unless youre talking legacy kaoms heart Victor Doom style crazy hp build you are seriously gimped as a melee speccing into just one or the other imo. Evasion does evade elemental attacks (not spells), its entropic so basically your chance is forced into regular patterns, its not rng, if you have 50% evasion against a given mob you wont be hit twice in a row by it, its extremely strong but ultimately you will be hit and when you get hit you need that physical mitigation.

on the ci discussion, ci is just extremely hard to gear, with GG trade gear you can absolutely go hybrids but ud need a lot of luck to get that sort of gear self found.
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
ok heres the thing, in my experience evasion is super super strong for melee, but like armour its not enough alone. I would never wear a chest like carcass jack for melee, tbh theres not many builds Id wear it for at all, maybe like casters or trappers who stay well out of harms way.

With evasion melee you really want strong physical mitigation to go along with it, theres 2 ways to go about that. First is lightning coil, thats an ar+ev hybrid chest, hence rolls tons of red and green which is exactly what you want. It gives strong phys mitigation by turning a portion of physical to lightning which you then resist the majority of. It essentially gives you the same mitigation as a fairly decent amount of armour, and then you stack a ton of evasion, use grace aura, ondars guile keystone and grab acrobatics + phase acrobatics. Since the coil nerf this isnt as strong as it once was but its still strong, when combined with a taste of hate flask its super strong and its a hybrid ar+ev chest meaning tons of red sockets as standard.

Second way to go about it is to go hybrid armour + evasion, which in my opinion is probably the strongest defense a melee can take right now. You invest in hybrid ar+ev nodes, if you can grab some life+armour nodes and life+evasion nodes as well thats gg. Then you equip full armour gear, if you make sure you get strong armour rolls on the chest and hat (and shield if you use a shield) youre going to end up with 8-15k armour, youll want to back that up by getting an extra couple of endurance charges, example the oak merciless reward and the endu charge in the duelist area. Then you run grace on top for the evasion, spec ondars guile keystone and youll get between 8k and 11k evasion on top of your armour, so you are essentially getting almost all the benefits of pure armour and pure evasion, youll be wearing an armour chest so red sockets all day.

Pure armour with no significant avoidance and pure evasion with no significant physical mitigation are complete death traps, unless youre talking legacy kaoms heart Victor Doom style crazy hp build you are seriously gimped as a melee speccing into just one or the other imo. Evasion does evade elemental attacks (not spells), its entropic so basically your chance is forced into regular patterns, its not rng, if you have 50% evasion against a given mob you wont be hit twice in a row by it, its extremely strong but ultimately you will be hit and when you get hit you need that physical mitigation.

on the ci discussion, ci is just extremely hard to gear, with GG trade gear you can absolutely go hybrids but ud need a lot of luck to get that sort of gear self found.

Solid, this sums it up.

And obviously CI is gear related, this has never changed and was ALWAYS for as long as i can remember a thing. You go something else and then swap to CI once your wealth level allows it and the gear is available on the market.

There is no "budget CI" that's hardcore viable that i can think off.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info