Couple questions about running Closed Beta + Supporter Packs

I hope some who have experience and insight can give me feedback on these:

1) What kind of risks does running a Beta program entail for a computer, hardware/software wise? I've never ran a Beta and my desktop's been super-stable for quite some time. I'd like to have as clear an idea of what I'd be getting into as a Beta tester if I get selected as far as what impact it could have on my system. Things like, would Bsod become possible or frequent, random unrelated errors, etc.

2) Why do supporter packs not give equal point value to the basic point packs? Like for example, an Apprentice supporter pack costs $50 but gives 400 points, whereas for the same $50 basic point packs would give 500 points (though needing more incremental purchases). I never understood this. The additional bonuses most packs offer are all digital in nature, so there is no extra cost involved for like shipping/handling or the like, so why the difference in input versus output? Personally I would have bought multiple supporter packs if their point value had been equal to what basic point packs offered, but they do not so it just isn't cost-effective to do so (and I'd rather be cost-effective with a hobby than not). Could this be changed for future supporter packs, or is the approach set-in-stone?

Thanks in advance for helpful replies, especially from devs.
For POE Devs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea6UuRTjkKs
Died like this in HC before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVsgFUiD-Y8

u_u
There's always SOME risk in running a beta, but probably fairly minimal in this case. Unless there's some major flaw in the new netcode, the worst you're LIKELY to run into is the game crashing. Seems like it's more about testing the leveling progression and things like that than the actual coding though.

As for supporter packs not giving full point value, that's because all of the OTHER stuff you get in them is considered to have some value as well. Even if they are digital, so is most/all of what you receive with buying the points. If you compare the "missing" point value vs. the cost of buying anything comparable to the other items you receive in the packs, I'd say they ARE very cost effective *if* any of those other items in the supporter pack appeal to you. If not, then just buy the points directly.

And also note that now a lot of the higher end packs DO give full point value anyway.
Last edited by Hodari on Apr 16, 2015, 7:24:01 PM
"
Peripherally wrote:

1) What kind of risks does running a Beta program entail for a computer, hardware/software wise? I've never ran a Beta and my desktop's been super-stable for quite some time. I'd like to have as clear an idea of what I'd be getting into as a Beta tester if I get selected as far as what impact it could have on my system. Things like, would Bsod become possible or frequent, random unrelated errors, etc.
Wha? You mean ongoing crashes even after you reset and not running poe? Its mostly the same client with some new features added.

I have heard of games doing some persistent damage tho, like burning up video cards, or I remember EA implementing some funny DRM with spore that permanently disables some cd roms (like re install windows permanent).
Good info on the beta testing part, but looking mainly for people who playtested PoE's previous betas as that seems most relevant to what I should expect.

As for the digital aspects of the supporter pack having some 'intrinsic' value, I don't see it that way. To me they are simply a bonus on top of a player's expression of dedication to the game and willingness to spend on it. It's not as if supporter packs are available in just any denomination, they start at modest numbers and go up from there. So, given how they are tiered, the packs seem to represent a significant monetary investment into the game, for which people get the reward of the usual basic points plus bonuses like soundtrack/forum title/etc. I guess what I'd be looking for is the basic points received to always be directly proportional to amount of money spent. It seems logical to me that were this to happen GGG would sell many more supporter packs than they do now, especially of the first few tiers, since average gamers likely to buy basic points previously, would now consolidate their purchasing into larger sums spent sooner than smaller amounts over time. Granted some assumptions built in here, but seems not a stretch.

u_u
"
Peripherally wrote:
Good info on the beta testing part, but looking mainly for people who playtested PoE's previous betas as that seems most relevant to what I should expect.

As for the digital aspects of the supporter pack having some 'intrinsic' value, I don't see it that way. To me they are simply a bonus on top of a player's expression of dedication to the game and willingness to spend on it. It's not as if supporter packs are available in just any denomination, they start at modest numbers and go up from there. So, given how they are tiered, the packs seem to represent a significant monetary investment into the game, for which people get the reward of the usual basic points plus bonuses like soundtrack/forum title/etc. I guess what I'd be looking for is the basic points received to always be directly proportional to amount of money spent. It seems logical to me that were this to happen GGG would sell many more supporter packs than they do now, especially of the first few tiers, since average gamers likely to buy basic points previously, would now consolidate their purchasing into larger sums spent sooner than smaller amounts over time. Granted some assumptions built in here, but seems not a stretch.
Once you get up to the $200 pack you have the same amount of points (you actually get 50 extra points more if you have purchased a pack before, brining it to 2050), so they dont offer you less points than what you pay by only spending it on points
The higher tier packs usually grant better point value. I actually don't really have an issue with GGG's approach, seems like a fine strategy to me.

"
You can probably negotiate the GGGold value of a pack if you want to forego some tier perks.

Also, little-known fact: The Ruler of Wraeclast pack gave less than a tenth of its value in GGGold.

^
I like many kinds of games 😊
Last edited by ArchSecter on Apr 18, 2015, 6:20:33 AM
The beta version of the game is pretty much exactly like any patch, but we'll be watching out for balance issues, progression issues, odd things like the sounds not working for placing or picking up flasks, etc. There's nothing that could harm your computer any more than a standard patch could... meaning that if your GPU overheats from extra effects, the real problem is with your hardware configuration, not the game it was supposed to handle. Any blue screens or crashes in the game are self-contained, and won't affect any other stuff on your computer. The PoE beta is no different than the Skype beta or the Adobe AIR beta, it's just a new version where they are testing out new features and testing for bugs.

The exclusive pack effects are what you're "buying" with the missing points. That Apprentice Pack armor is actually quite stylish, I've been running in 3 pieces of it all month.
"
Metronomy wrote:
Once you get up to the $200 pack you have the same amount of points (you actually get 50 extra points more if you have purchased a pack before, brining it to 2050), so they dont offer you less points than what you pay by only spending it on points

Thanks for pointing that out, may be worth doing depending on upcoming mtx in 2.0. I still would like the lower tiers to be more equivalent, though I do get how GGG incentivizes going up for the $200 pack by having its value give full points too.

"
ionface wrote:
The beta version of the game is pretty much exactly like any patch, but we'll be watching out for balance issues, progression issues, odd things like the sounds not working for placing or picking up flasks, etc. There's nothing that could harm your computer any more than a standard patch could... meaning that if your GPU overheats from extra effects, the real problem is with your hardware configuration, not the game it was supposed to handle. Any blue screens or crashes in the game are self-contained, and won't affect any other stuff on your computer. The PoE beta is no different than the Skype beta or the Adobe AIR beta, it's just a new version where they are testing out new features and testing for bugs.

The exclusive pack effects are what you're "buying" with the missing points. That Apprentice Pack armor is actually quite stylish, I've been running in 3 pieces of it all month.

That's good to know, thanks. My system's never had any issues handling PoE with all its graphics and effects, so there shouldn't be any problems on that front. Tbh I don't think I've ever ran any beta program, except something simple like foobar2000 (audio player).

That's a good point, the Apprentice armor actually is one of the few armor sets that doesn't look too gimmicky or overdone.

u_u
As others have noted, the Beta is really not much different than the live game in regards to wear and tear on your hardware. I never had any hardware issues at all in the 6 months I was in the first CB. Sure, the client would become unstable at times (and I helped find a really neat friendslist related client crash), but that's whatever.

As to the packs, if you value the mtxes that come with them, they are worth far, far more in points than straight up points packs. Armors tend to cost something like 300 points (not looking it up right now, lazy), so the Apprentice Pack actually gave you 700 points of value just between the armor and the raw points. Then add in things like the title, the hideout mtx, etc and you are getting even more for your money.

My master pack gave the same points (2,000) and 3 sets of armor and all the peripherals as well. Insane value compared to just getting $200 worth of points.

I have yet to see a pack that I thought was a bad deal relative to buying the plain points, simply because all those extras have, to date, always been worth it (to me, ymmv :).
Support a free Hong Kong.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with
sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo Galilei

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info