CPU/GPU question

First, I'm a total dumbo when it comes down to IT, so please forgive me if I'm asking the most obvious questions on Earth.

I'm looking to upgrade my PC a bit, recently I replaced one of my HDDs with an SSD and doubled my RAM. But, that's definitely not enough to run some upcoming games like the Witcher 3 or GTA 5. So, I'm thinking about getting me a new CPU and GPU.

I'm using a M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 mobo and I'd rather stick to it. Also, I'm currently using a CFT-600-14CS power supply and would rather keep it as well.

My CPU as of now is AMD Phenom II x4 965 and my GPU is GeForce GTX460. I would like to spend max €700.

Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm just being delusional and my mobo doesn't suprise any of the newer stuff, but let's see if my fellow exiles can help me out. :)
[2.4] Riff Raff - under 1ex Reave RT DoT Gladiator: http://poeurl.com/C6q
You will need a new mobo, there is no other way if you really want to upgrade.

I recommend:

Z97/H97 Mobo (doesn't matter which manufacturer, Z97 if you want to OC)
Intel core i5 4690(K)(depends if you want to OC)
Custom Geforce GTX 970 or AMD Radeon R9 290(X) (AMD won't make you happy playing PoE)

I would not recommend an AMD CPU and maybe some things will be cheaper if you buy them second-hand.
Nuuuu don't listen to Intel fanboys and get an AMD CPU.
(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.
Fanboys? Are you starting a war?
I'm no fanboy and Intel CPUs are way better in general and for gaming.
Don't claim an AMD CPU is enough for gaming, it is not. Even Intel's single core performance is too low in some game scenarios.
AMD hasn't brought anything new for years and can be considered dead (for gaming) until they release their new architecture next year. I'm not talking about GPUs here.

Don't start an AMD vs. Intel discussion, he just wanted some help.
Last edited by darkmatch on Apr 12, 2015, 11:00:44 AM
Nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu buy AMD they are good!

"
darkmatch wrote:

Don't start an AMD vs. Intel discussion, he just wanted some help.

Offtopic bro.
(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.
Last edited by bhavv on Apr 12, 2015, 11:13:01 AM
When purchasing a gpu you want to look at the middle number...

1-4 is not recommended
5-7 is considered entry level
8-9 is considered top of the line high performance

Every graphics card has "pipelines" the more pipelines the better... Do not be fooled by ram. Some cards are extremely advertised as having 2 gb or more of memory; that's not as important as its number.

"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
Lol pipelines ... 10 years out of date mr Solwitch.

- PoE TOS.
"
darkmatch wrote:

I recommend:

Custom Geforce GTX 970 or AMD Radeon R9 290(X) (AMD won't make you happy playing PoE)

I would not recommend an AMD CPU and maybe some things will be cheaper if you buy them second-hand.

Basically this, it's within your budget and you will be able to play everything at 1080p and max details with at least 30 fps.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
darkmatch wrote:

I recommend:

Yeah, I did some researching myself and found out 965 was basically the best CPU for my mobo. I could get the items you recommended for around €750-800 which I guess is still ok with me.

But, will my 600W power supply still handle it? I've got 4 x 2GB RAM (I now realized I'm using 2 x 2GB DIMM and Crucial sent me 2 x 2GB UDIMM, hope they'll be compatible), a DVD station, 1 x HDD, 1 x SSD and a 92mm CPU fan + an additional case fan.

Also, can you recommend a decent and budget case for Z97? Mine has exactly zero features for cable management.
[2.4] Riff Raff - under 1ex Reave RT DoT Gladiator: http://poeurl.com/C6q
Last edited by Weißenberg on Apr 12, 2015, 5:54:29 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info