Be Like Piety! Tanky Ball LIghting Build 1.3 non crit (HC viable)

Introduction

I have decided to share my extra tanky BL witch build non-crit, we use shock from the tree, We use evasion/dodge/mom for survivability
Ball lightning is our main attack with vaal storm call for extra dps

The basic's

We are going to combine Evasion/EB/MOM/AA/Acrobatics/Phase Accrobatics/Ondar's

One of the problems i have always found with MOM that when i take hits im having trouble casting my spell due to lack of mana. Currently in my ball lightning links i have a cast speed of approx 4 casts per second and a mana cost of 116 mana per cast(in a 5link)... thats 116*4= 464 mana per second. If im getting hit on top of that MOM is draining my mana before i can kill things. The solution is to combine the accrobatics keystones with evasion and ondar's. This means 40% of the time i am dodging attacks and 30% i am dodging spells. My base evasion is around 2.2 which is good for 20% evasion and 40% with ondars. With grace i push this up to 6.6k evasion and 38% to evade attacks 76% to evade projectiles. With a well rolled jade flask + evasion modifier i hit 18.5k evasion and 58% evasion against attacks and will be capped against projectiles. Between this and my dodge i will take very few hits while using my jade flask. I also have a measily 8% chance to block and 2% chance to block spells, doesnt really account for anything but hey every bit counts.

We are going to use ball lightning in a Pledge of hand which gives us a free spell echo and allows me to function fairly well with a 5link, the total dps for ball lightning isnt that great but i like ball lightning so i choose to use it. You can easily change this to arc if thats your thing.

We are going to use a cloak of defiance for the advanced MOM passive.

These are the basics of the build, no other gear choices are mandatory.

Pro's

- Very tanky, Huge EHP via life and unreserved mana / MOM / EB / Dodge and Evasion
- Very mobile, Via lightning warp
- Rips through most trash mobs
- Relatively cheap compared to some builds, biggest expensive will be 5L pledge of hands
- Able to do high level maps solo
- Negates most physical and fire damage
- single reflect not an issue, hits very quickly but not that hard
- Decent evasion possible
- Accrobatics/Phase accrobatics/Ondars
- Shocks quickly without crit (and has bonus damage VIA celestial punishment node)
- Does not dsync much
- Fire and forget, BL + AOE nodes and gem means you can fire these things pretty willy nilly and still achieve good results
- Pierces natuarlly, good for taking out totems
- Spanning so far on the tree gives alot of all stats, you don't need much in the way of stats on
gear
- can easily swap to arc if thats your thing

Con's

- Low tool tip DPS, i think most people know by now that tool tip isn't everything, if you want to boost this take out lightning pen (but your better with it)
- Higher hp targets and some bosses will go down slow
- Chaos damage will drain you of your mana and health very quickly
- EK exile can rip you a new one if you don't see him coming
- Leapers/Flickerstrikes/Devourers can be a pain if they hit you in quick succession, draining your mana quickly, highly reccommend grace over HOI with them
- Corrupting blood will demolish you if your not paying attention. This is due to the fact that we hit many times per second and not very hard. I highly recommend that you have a staunching flask on something that has a good duration to manage this. Don't put it on life or mana flasks because they run out quickly
- Elemental Reflect maps are not recommended
- no regen maps not recommended
- half regen maps are possible with mana flasks and much less survivability
- Blood magic is doable but a pain, we dont rely heavily on auras so we can them off but our regen and dps will suffer and might not be able to run AA
- Atziri... not sure havent tried, but you would need to drop BL for something single target on against her... maybe i will try someday
- Heavy point investment in the tree, will be level 80-85 before you feel like its coming together

Offence

Tooltip dps shows low, but we are doing considerably more with shock and celestial punishment and conductivity, not to mention that each BL hits multiple times per cast

Not all of my gems are fully leveled yet

DPS with grace
Spoiler

DPS with HOI
Spoiler

Defense

All setups have 40% chance to dodge attacks and 30% chance to dodge spells as well as 40% damage taken as mana

Defense with Grace
38% evasion vs attacks 76% evasion vs projectiles
HP - 3910
Unreseverd mana - 1057
Total EHP = 4967
Spoiler

Defence with Grace + Flask
58% evasion vs attacks capped evasion vs projectiles
HP - 3910
Unreseverd mana - 1057
Total EHP = 4967
Spoiler

Defense with HOI
21% evasion vs attacks 42% evasion vs projectiles
HP - 3910
Unreseverd mana - 1903
Total EHP = 5813
Spoiler

Defense with HOI + Flask
49% evasion vs attacks 98% evasion vs projectiles
HP - 3910
Unreseverd mana - 1903
Total EHP = 5813
Spoiler

Passive Tree/Bandits

This passive tree is very point intensive and spans from the very west end of the tree to the very east end of the tree. It really starts coming together around level 85

My current tree at 87 (could hit this at 86 if i had the regrets to change my bandits)

Poe website

Poe Builder

Bandits - i recommend you kill all as this build requires so many points but you may choose to take life in normal and cast speed in cruel

Norm- kill all (recommended) or Oak for life
Cruel- Kill all (recommended) or Alira for cast speed
Merc- Kill all, we aren't utilizing any charges in this build so this is really the only choice

Gearing

Mandatory

Chest - Cloak Of defiance (links dont matter) - this allows us to pick up MOM which we would never be able to do with our passive tree
Weapon - Pldge of hands (5link recommended) - this gives us a level 30 free spell echo giving us a 6link for the price of a 5link

Recommended (but not necessary)
Boots - Rainbowstrides - movement speed, resists, high mana and ES
Ring - Voideye (socketed with AA) this gives us +5 levels to arctic armor

Other
We are looking to cap our resists and maximise out life and mana (or energy shield through EB) and pick up some evasion if possible

My Current Gear

Gem Links

Attack Skill in Pledge of hands 5 link

Ball Lightning - Lightning Pen - Faster casting - Increased AOE - Life leech
Spoiler

*Q20 life leech is highly recommended. We do not go for vaal pact. Ball lightning hits many times very quickly for a small amount. I have tested with vaal pact and have found that my leech is too low if i use it. I am able to do single reflect on monsters but i avoid elemental reflect map mods.

6th link - i have not had a chance to try this out yet but i would consider using a Q20 added lightning damage for the additional damage and possibly dropping the Static blows shock cluster by elderich battery. Also i love knockback in the setup, not only does it provide excellent defense but it lets BL hit more per cast.

Single target/Burst DPS
current 5 link - VSC - Life leech - Spell Echo - Lightning Pen - *added lightning damage
Spoiler

if i could get my sockets right i would remove added lightning damage for reduced duration

Other links

Aura's (RRGB) - reduced mana - herald of thunder - clairty - grace/herald of ice
Spoiler

When i want more dps i switch in herald of ice. This also gives me more effective health by freeing up extra mana reserved, i would typically use grace when there is alot of projectiles or leapers/devourers

Cwdt setup (RRRR) - CWDT - enduring cry - immortal call - increased duration
Spoiler

Lightning Warp (RBBB) - Reduced duration - lightning warp - curse on hit - conductivity
Spoiler

I would consider making this last one a double 2 link with reduced duration and lightning warp and then manually casting conductivity and having a second defensive curse such as temp chains or enfeeble for a HC character

Artic Armor
Spoiler

+

If you can get your hands on this then put you AA in here, if not put it in your extra spot on COD or Pledge of Hands

Videos (more being uploaded)
Last edited by christ6 on Apr 11, 2015, 9:36:54 AM
Reserved
first video is up, some more difficult ones on the way
Last edited by christ6 on Apr 10, 2015, 11:37:20 PM
2 more boss videos up. Double academy bosses and double courtyard
"
christ6 wrote:
One of the problems i have always found with AA that when i take hits im having trouble casting my spell due to lack of mana.

Typo. You probably meant MOM, not AA.

Anyway, another way to counter that problem is to use Lavianga's Spirit (though a bit expensive).
"
- Very tanky, Huge EHP via life and unreserved mana / MOM / EB / Dodge and Evasion

"
- Leapers/Flickerstrikes/Devourers can be a pain if they hit you in quick succession, draining your mana quickly, highly reccommend grace over HOI with them
- Corrupting blood will demolish you if your not paying attention. This is due to the fact that we hit many times per second and not very hard. I highly recommend that you have a staunching flask on something that has a good duration to manage this. Don't put it on life or mana flasks because they run out quickly

How is this tanky?
"
Bada_Bing wrote:
"
christ6 wrote:
One of the problems i have always found with AA that when i take hits im having trouble casting my spell due to lack of mana.

Typo. You probably meant MOM, not AA.

thanks i will fix that

"
Bada_Bing wrote:

Anyway, another way to counter that problem is to use Lavianga's Spirit (though a bit expensive).

good idea that i didn't think of, ill see if i can pick on of those up
Last edited by christ6 on Apr 11, 2015, 9:28:09 AM
"
arcadius wrote:
"

"

How is this tanky?

These are standard problems end game with alot of builds and MOM in general. Typo on the EK exile, i meant the one that punctures, but you can use a staunching and warp instead of running. As it stands right now chaos resistance is hard to come by. Leapers/devourers are really not that bad with good immortal call setup and quick reactions (flasking and warping away). Devourers just hurt, they hit hard against any build, but once again quick reaction and CWDT-immortal call. Reflect is fine, map reflect is manageable with purity of lightning swap and flasking correctly but its just a pain so i avoid it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info