PoE story and Act4's inspiration came from here?

I've found PoE's lore and characters have lot of similarities with some specific MagicTheGathering blocks, i'll mention a few ones that probably were the main inspiration for PoE.

Timeline http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Timeline
Spoiler

Wraeclast = Otaria? http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Otaria

Deities
Spoiler
The Numena were a group of wizards that managed to almost single-handedly overthrow the reign of the Primevals. Each color of magic had a representative numen, although the numena for the colors white and green were slain by the other three wizards, who refused to share their powers in a five-way split. The numen of blue was Lowallyn, who was later reincarnated as the illusionist Ixidor. The numen of black was Kuberr, who was worshiped as a god of commerce among the Cabal and was later reincarnated as the child of the Cabal Patriarch and Phage. The numen of red was Averru, who was later reincarnated as an ancient city bearing his name.

After the numena's reincarnations, they were swiftly destroyed by Karona.

http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Numena

Kaom biggest inspiration?

Spoiler

Kamahl was a powerful barbarian from the Pardic Mountains of Otaria, the brother of Jeska and pupil of Balthor. He left his mountain home to go to Cabal City in order to earn himself wealth and fame through pit-fighting. His fighting technique was a mixture of barbarian close-combat skills and red magic, which he combined using his prized possession, an enormous two-handed sword rumored to have been crafted from the staff of Urza......

http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Kamahl

Balthor

Kaom's primacy?

maybe Hyrri?

Spoiler

Jeska was an Otarian barbarian along with her brother, Kamahl. Due to the tumultuous happenings of her life she was called Thrice Touched by Infinity....

http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Jeska

Act4 Centaurs maybe inspired on this guy that protected Kamahl & Jeska in the story.

Phage(Corrupted Jeska)

Jeska was cursed so that anything she touched would rot and because of this, the only fabric that she could touch was silk, and she could only touch inorganic items like stone and steel.

possible Maligaro inspiration

Spoiler

Ixidor was a powerful illusionist and a well-known pit champion, but he lost all his fame and fortune after his love Nivea was killed by Phage(Corrupted Jeska) in a Cabal pit fight.

looks like Maligaro spike:
Spoiler

Ixidor's creation
Spoiler

Angel of Wrath (Phage Antagonist)
After Ixidor had been dumped into the desert because of his extreme gambling debts to the Cabal, he wallowed in his grief over his lost love. So strong was his heartache, that when his shaping abilities manifested, they took the form of Akroma at the cost of Ixidor's right arm. She was crafted in his dream and made of his flesh. Ixidor gave her but one objective, to avenge Nivea, no matter the cost.

City of Sarn perhaps The Cabal city?

Spoiler

http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Cabal

Cabal City was a city located in Otaria that was controlled by the Cabal, and was the capital of the organization. It was notable for its pit fighting.The Cabal Patriarch lived in a huge mansion in Cabal City, from which he ran the city. The pit fights were used to entertain the citizens, earn money for the city and the Cabal, and sometimes replaced trials as a justice system in which claimants battled to resolve their cases. However, the city was nearly destroyed when it was attacked by a Krosan dragon; later, it was completely overrun by dementia creatures when Chainer usurped rulership of the Cabal and exiled the Patriarch to Aphetto.

Chainer later lost control of the immense power granted to him by the Mirari in a pit fight against Kamahl and the Order. Cabal power in the area had been greatly weakened, and the city itself had suffered massive damage, so the city was abandoned and the Cabal relocated to Aphetto.

Pîety?

Spoiler

Braids was a powerful — and very mad — dementia caster for the Cabal.

..She was first placed in charge of the Cabalists that were sent to the Mer Empire capital to catalogue the valuable artifacts held in the vaults. While there, she made a deal with Laquatus to find the Mirari for him in exchange for being able to keep any interesting artifacts she found. However, her team did not find the Mirari as it instead was first found by Emperor Aboshan, who used it to sink a third of Otaria and also accidentally killed himself in the process. Afterwards, the Mirari fell into Braids' hands, but she was immune to its lures as her mind was already occupied with her dementia visions. Instead of using the orb, she merely pocketed it and made her way back to Cabal City to give it back to the First....
http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Braids

Spoiler

Dominus?
Spoiler

Virot Maglan, the Cabal Patriarch (also known as the First of the Cabal) was the leader and founder of Otaria's Cabal. As the first and chief worshipper of Kuberr(deity) he was gifted with an enormously extended lifespan and the ability to decay anything he touched.

Possible Cataclysm? inspired in Mirari corrupting the continent.
Spoiler

The Mirari was an artifact of unspeakable power that appeared on Otaria roughly a century after the Phyrexian Invasion. The word “mirari” was an ancient word for a fantastic wish-granting artifact and the Mirari certainly matched that description, tapping into its wielder's desires and making them real. However, the Mirari also inevitably caused disaster to strike the bearer, usually leading to their death....

http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Mirari

...However, the Mirari now began pouring energy into Krosa, causing the creatures there to mutate into gigantic, crazed beasts and even causing the plant-life to grow out of control. As time wore on, the wave of mutating energy began to spread across Otaria, turning the normal creatures of the continent into misshapen, exaggerated versions of themselves. This, along with the re-emergence of Karona and the slivers of the Riptide Project, led to a great deal of damage being done across the continent.

ACT4 zones inspiration?
Spoiler

http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Grand_Coliseum

Grand Coliseum and the Heroes

Lionseye?

well they're coliseum heroes so doubt their influence for The beast.

and there are more similarities out there but i stop here.

thoughts?

Last edited by dimraiden on Apr 9, 2015, 11:33:01 PM
Plagiarism! RIOT
Last edited by choopk1993 on Apr 9, 2015, 10:41:35 PM
Pretty sure its a well known fact that the GGG boys are huge MTG heads, so pretty unsurprising.

Hard not to be influenced by your influences lol.
Noblesse oblige
"
Pretty sure its a well known fact that the GGG boys are huge MTG heads, so pretty unsurprising.

Yep
ZiggyD is the Labyrinth of streamers, some like it, some dont, but GGG will make sure to push it down ur throat to make you like it
Last edited by Sexcalibure on Apr 9, 2015, 11:06:20 PM
"
choopk1993 wrote:
Plagiarism! RIOT

Not plagiarism, inspiration. Research those definitions, dude.

And yes, Chris has openly talked about his passion for Magic: The Gathering, and if I'm not wrong, he once said in Reddit that some of that lore served as inspiration for Sarn.
"
Sexcalibure wrote:
"

Yep

more like this one :D

Convicts being exiled to a harsh land where the natives want them dead, and their only hope for long term survival is to band together and create a new nation of their own in this place they have been exiled to?

A U S T R A I L I A
"
dimraiden wrote:
"
Sexcalibure wrote:
"

Yep

more like this one :D

Are you kidding me? That's awesome.
"
MonstaMunch wrote:
Convicts being exiled to a harsh land where the natives want them dead, and their only hope for long term survival is to band together and create a new nation of their own in this place they have been exiled to?

A U S T R A I L I A

Or Like Isreal!

So i guess that in act 4 where are going back to where we come from and the people that now lives there but that are not the ones that exiled us

cant wait!
ZiggyD is the Labyrinth of streamers, some like it, some dont, but GGG will make sure to push it down ur throat to make you like it
"
Sexcalibure wrote:
"
MonstaMunch wrote:

A U S T R A I L I A

Or Like Isreal!

No, completely not like Israel.....

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info