CwDT + Spell Totem Question

All,

Short Version:

How can I get a CwDT+Spell Totem into a 4-link item, and still have both attached skills proc (one on the totem, the other a single-cast from the CwDT)?

TLDR Version:

I have a Cast when Damage Taken (CwDT) level 1 gem in a 4-link item. I use "Summon Skeletons" and "Enfeeble." Both gems are below the level limit for L1 CwDT. When I take damage, both the skeletons and the curse work correctly (activate, proc, whatever the term is). This setup works great.

However, I found CwDT-Spell Totem-Summon Skeletons is more effective than a single cast of 2 skellys. So my goal is to have CwDT generate both a totem that summons skeletons, plus a single cast of enfeeble.

Unfortunately, when I link CwDT-Spell Totem-Summon Skeletons-Enfeeble, I get either a totem that summons skeletons, or a totem that casts enfeeble (depending on the order of the links). No matter what combination of skills I try, I get the same result. A spell totem casting one of the spells, but the second spell does nothing.

How can I fix this? Is it possible to get a single CwDT that has both a spell totem linked skill plus a single-proc skill?

Thanks in advance for your help. Incidentally, I would think this is a common problem; but for the life of me, I cannot find a thread addressing this issue.
Well of course you will get what you see:

- Your curse is linked to the spell totem support, it is no longer a single-cast spell.
- You presumably do not have Ancestral Bond so you can only have one totem at a time - hence only one will exist.

You need separate CwDTs.
IGN: Chundaziri
8/8 Ambush/Invasion Complete - 21/06/2014
8/8 Warbands/Tempest Complete - 10/08/2015
Ah. I think I understand:

The Totem gem functions like a support gem. It modifies all skills liked to it. Just like "faster casting" would increase the cast speed of both the skellys and the curse; the totem adds "totem" to both skills. Since I can only create 1 totem, CwDT procs one of the two skills as a spell totem and the other fails to proc.

Is the above correct?

Also, assuming I was able to have 2 totems, would CwDT then create both totems (1 skelly totem, 1 cursing totem)?
Yes Yes
IGN: Chundaziri
8/8 Ambush/Invasion Complete - 21/06/2014
8/8 Warbands/Tempest Complete - 10/08/2015
I appreciate your help. Thanks much.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info