[1.3.1] Blackdepp's Ground Slam Marauder (inexpensive)

HELLO LADIES & GENTLEMEN,

I'm Blackdepp and this is a build guide for a budget ground slam marauder. This builds is very tanky with roughly +220% life and puts out quite some damage. You don't need any specific uniques at all, but they help. This build suits new leages or races (1 week+) very well, because it can be started with no currency at all. I played my character to level 87 and it was a lot of fun. Ok, let's get started:
_________________________________________________________________________________

SKILLTREE

--> SKILLTREE <--
(Screenshot)

If you manage to get enough DEX and INT on your gear, then you can skip these nodes and put them somewhere else you like. Feel free to put the rest of your nodes wherever you like (life, damage).
_________________________________________________________________________________

GEAR

Helmet:
Use a rare helmet with high life, resistances and armour.

Chest:
A Belly Of The Beast is the best body armour for this build, but you can also run a good rare chest plate.

Weapon:
You need a Two Handed Mace with high physical damage added and increased and attack speed.

Gloves:
Slitherpinch takes care of sustaining mana and leeches a litte life too. It gives us a lot of DEX and litte attack speed, though it has low armor. If you have mana/life leech on jewellery you can use good rare gloves with life, resistnaces and armour, but this is the cheapest way to go.

Boots:
Look for life, resistances and armour. Movementspeed is also nice.

Belt:
Meginord's Gridle boosts your DPS and increases your life. If you have problems with resistances use a rare leather belt, heavy belt or rustic stash with high resistances and life.

Amulet:
Just look for resistnaces, life and added physical damage. Try to fill up your DEX and INT with it.

Rings:
The rings need to have life and resistances. Added physical damage or attack speed helps to boost your DPS.

For Flasks feel free to take whatever you like but i recommend for endgame minimum 3 Bubbling Divine Life Flasks. Look for mods that remove:
-Bleeding
-Freez
-Shock
-Cursed

Other good flask options are:
-Granite Flask
-Quicksilver Flask
-Atziri's Promise
(DPS & leech)
-Doedre's Elixir (to keep up the charges)
-Taste of Hate (DPS)
-Rumi's Concoction (defense)

Take whatever you like and/or can afford.

GEMS

Ground Slam:

Ground Slam is your main attack. It is linked to:

-Mulistrike
-Melee Physical Damage
-Added Fire Damage
-Faster Attacks

Enduring Cry:

You need Enduring Cry to keep up your Endurance Chages, because they are a importante factor of your physical defence. You selfcast Enduring Cry either your Endurance Charges are about to expire or your Immortal Call consumed them. It is linked to:

-Spell Echo

(Because this is only a 2L, you can combine it with Leap Slam and Faster Attacks)

Leap Slam:

Leap Slam is used for fast movement. It helps encountering monsters and to backtracking. It is linked to:

-Faster Attacks

(Because this is only a 2L, you can combine it with Enduring Cry and Spell Echo)

Blood Rage:

Blood Rage allowes us to gain Frenzy Charges for more attack speed and also gives us life leech. You can link it to Increased Duration if you want.

Cast When Damage Taken:

On this character you run a high level Cast When Damage Taken to automate you defence. It is linked to:

-Immortal Call
-Increased Duration
-Devouring Totem

Auras:

The auras on this character are Hatred, a Purity Aura (to help with resistances) and as soon as your Reduced Mana Gem is leveld up high enough you can link Herald Of Ash as well.
+ any Purity Aura

The rest of the skill gems is optional. You can use another Cast When Damage Taken Setup or use some of the counter skills. They work pretty well with Endurance Charge on Melee Stun or Curse On Hit with Temporal Chains. For certain bosses or dangerous situations you can use the Enfeeble curse.

BANDITS

-Normal: Oak (+40 base life)

-Crule: Kraityn/Oak (+8% attack speed / +18% physical damage)

-Merciless: Oak (+1 Endurance Charge)

STATS

EXPLANATION

This build is fairly simple. Before engaging monsters you cast Enduring Cry to increase your physical defence. Then you attack the enemies with Ground Slam until everyone is dead. That's pretty much it.

There are however one thing you have to have a look at. Watch carefully over your Endurance Charges. If they are about to expire or are being consumed by your Immortal Call Setup you need to refresh them, to keep up your physical defence, becuase this build lacks a little armour. 6 Endurance Charges give you 24% (6*4%) physical damage medigation. Together with a little armour and a high life pool that is enough to sustain physical damage.

Against damage peaks this character runs a high level Cast When Damage Taken Setup with Immortal Call linked to Increased Duration, so that your (6) Endurance Charges are consumed and you become immune to physical damage for some time (~9 sec.). This setup also covers a Devouring Totem that consumes corpses to heal you back up. Together with good life flasks and the high base life regeneration you will be fully recovered in the blink of an eye.

This character leeches mana and life with physical damage.

To escape from dangerous situations or for faster movement use Leap Slam.

Ground Slam allows you to attack from a little distance. So if you are engaging a very dangerous enemy hold Shift and attack from your current situation, without facing the enemy to close. For these situations the Enfeeble curse also becomes usefull.

Gameplay Videos:
[1.3.1] Path of Exile: Ground Slam Marauder - Precinct (slight variation of the character above)
[1.3.1] Path of Exile: Ground Slam Marauder - Promenade (74) (slight variation of the character above)

Other build guides:
[1.3.1] Blackdepp's Arc Witch

I hope you like that build and the guide helps you. If you have any questions about or suggestions for this build feel free to write in the comments below. You can also contact me ingame (IGN: Hiyuka).
IGN - Blackdepp
Last edited by Blackdepp on Jun 18, 2015, 5:47:26 PM
Noone likes my build :'(
IGN - Blackdepp
Ground slam builds are kinda overplayed. Many people have tried them in the beginning of poe and when they were starting to play.
I LOVE this build! Thanks for the post i made one last night with a bit different path which i will regret my way out of later but i love playing this i can't stop :D
IGN: Jawhy
Hey, I'm playing this build right now in the 5 day race. It's great fun. But I have a question: you say
"

Where do you gain the life/mana leech from? From the weapons? Or did I miss smth...
"
Skaldik wrote:
Hey, I'm playing this build right now in the 5 day race. It's great fun. But I have a question: you say
"

Where do you gain the life/mana leech from? From the weapons? Or did I miss smth...

He is getting his mana and life leech from his Slitherpinch gloves.
The Awakening is coming soon. In order to that I have tested a modified version of my build above on the live servers.

Here are two gameplay videos:

- Precinct

- Promenade (74)

If you have any questions feel free to ask them (:
IGN - Blackdepp
Last edited by Blackdepp on Jun 7, 2015, 8:19:29 AM
Hey guys, I though about the new skill tree and how to adjust this build for it.

This is the current result: Any thoughts about it?
IGN - Blackdepp
I also have been playing a ground slam marauder, not on beta though. After watching your videos it seems to still be very viable, so this is a tree I came up with, let me know what you think.

For the most part they are the same, but there are a few differences, and I do have some resistance nodes taken, that eventually will be re-speced after finding better gear. I plan to start over on a brand new character and play as self found.

http://cb.poedb.tw/us/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBBS0HdQmWDc0OPBQgFHEU9hiRGekaPhrkHM4c5yE0IVUnICtQLPsxnjSOOQ46UjrhOzs8LT0PPfxAoEE_R35QR1HmWGNeE18_YJFgxGFSZU1oZWjyah5qO2qla9lyqXTtdqx3U3h6eu97jHzZggeDX4PMhNmE74Y7hmCHaoiPiiKMz5Bskc6XeZ7FplepJ6mUrY2vbK-ntC-3PrvtvJ-9Nr6nwKbEuMT2xq7G2M9-0iHV-Ni92Xzawdw95FHkreoY7w7vTvIv8kHyRfPd9kj3Mvjr_TD-Cv5U

AFter really comparing the two, yours is more armor with extra endurance charges and AOE, mine has more Damage nodes.

In 1.3 I have been running my Groundslam with Blood magic, I noticed that you do not, can you shed any light on the advantages of not doing it? I just feel I will have a hard time leaching enough mana to sustain the attacks if I dont use blood magic. Thanks, and great guide!
IGN - Pholcers
Last edited by Pholc on Jul 9, 2015, 11:46:32 PM
The advantage of not going blood magic is simple - auras. Hatred and Herald of Thunder boost your dps quite a lot.

In your skilltree are missing some AOE nodes I think.
IGN - Blackdepp
Last edited by Blackdepp on Jul 11, 2015, 4:11:25 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info