Quick logout question

Can someone confirm for me that Alt+F4 is effectively the same as clicking the logout button? I mean, does it send the "oh shit" packet which immediately saves your character? I recall Chris saying that going to character selection is a less reliable method of escaping danger than logging out is, and I'm not sure how Alt+F4 compares utility-wise.

So far I've managed in hardcore without using either, but it would be a great comfort the next time I face merciless Brutus to know I have an escape route if my gear isn't quite up to par.
"
Can someone confirm for me that Alt+F4 is effectively the same as clicking the logout button? I mean, does it send the "oh shit" packet which immediately saves your character? I recall Chris saying that going to character selection is a less reliable method of escaping danger than logging out is, and I'm not sure how Alt+F4 compares utility-wise.

So far I've managed in hardcore without using either, but it would be a great comfort the next time I face merciless Brutus to know I have an escape route if my gear isn't quite up to par.

chris confirmed (on reddit) that alt+f4 is the fastest way to logout securely.
client immediately shuts down and sends a "connection reset" packet to the server.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Last edited by vio on Mar 27, 2015, 6:57:55 PM
alt+f4 is better but you're pretty much defeating the entire purpose of playing in hc... especially with the kind of example you just gave :|
@geradon

Thanks for the answer.

@jebroni

My only purpose in playing 1month HC, much as was my purpose in playing Bloodlines, is to beat the challenges. My 8/8 bird-topped challenger trophy says hi, but I am in fact a standard player through-and-through. I don't care at all about hardcore or the reasons people usually play it, I merely rise to the occasion at the siren call of rare and exclusive cosmetic effects.

Spoiler
Actually, I'd prefer the league rewards were less appealing tbh. I don't even like earning them that much. I prefer my standard stash and characters but what can you do.
There was a video on youtube a while back of someone recording the exact time it takes for a character to logout. He went through all the methods.

Someone else can dig it up.
"The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence."

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info