[Theory]Low Life RF

This will likely be the first build I try post-2.0. It originally started as two separate ideas -- A lowlife Righteous Fire character, and a Cast on Melee Kill character that used RF to do most of its damage, and culling strike with cyclone to trigger CoMK. I decided to combine the two into the idea you're seeing here.

Build

The Tree

Features: 105 Points
26% Reduced Reservation
60% Increased Effect of Auras
206% Max Energy Shield
7.2% Life Regen
+1 Max Fire Res
+1 max Lightning Res
75% Increased Burning Damage
40% Increased Fire Damage
Keystones: Zealot's Oath, Blood Magic, Elemental Equilibrium

Obviously this is a current tree for a build I don't plan to attempt until after a major content patch. Nothing is set in stone, but the one thing that seems most likely is that we'll be losing the buff effect nodes on the tree. This makes RF easier to run (honestly I'm not sure if I would be able to run this build currently without RotP), so I'm not too beat up about it.

Suggested Gear and Links

-- CWDT, Immortal Call, Increased Duration. I'm too lazy to hand cast Enduring Cry. You can do it, but you'll probably have to take out an empower somewhere, or maybe go without Leap Slam + Faster Attacks in your shield.

-- Leap Slam + Faster Attacks + Elemental Weakness. This shield is exciting to me. Supposedly you can run RF with this mod, and the idea of doing it with a respectable amount of ES makes me tingly.

-- Vitality, Reduced Mana, Empower, Discipline. Ignore current colors and gems.

-- Reduced Mana, Empower, Purity of ICe, Purity of Lightning. Voidbringer are decent ES gloves, and they give my elemental auras +1 level. Ideally we vaal +1 to socketed gems onto a pair, but that's a longterm goal.

ES Boots -- Increased Burning Damage, RF, Increased AoE, Concentrated Effect. Pretty much just looking for high ES boots, maybe with some res. Movespeed might be an option but if I have a choice between more ES and some movespeed, I'm choosing the former.

-- Ignore the colors and gems again. Links will be LGoH, CoMK, Cyclone, Culling Strike, and two blue spells. Currently I'm going for Ice Nova and Arc, but balance changes in 2.0 might bring other options to the table. The idea here is to trigger EE with ice nova, then hit with arc, boosting arc's shock duration and using arc to trigger EE for my RF. Flame Surge is another option I'm going to try out. I'm also excited to see new spells.

-- Purity of Fire. Will be level 26 when I eventually vaal one to 21.

-- Lots of regen. An obvious choice.

Belt and amulet slots will be there to get ES and res if needed. If not, then the amulet will likely be Shaper's Seed, with a long term goal of vaaling +1 max res onto it. The belt will either be an ES belt or a Doryani's Invitation, whichever feels like it does more damage.

Previous Post
This is not a build I will attempt anytime soon. I don't have the desire to recolor my items, or craft/buy jewelry with Elreon's 20% ES mod. However, it is something I've put a bit of thought into.

This build originally started as two separate ideas -- A lowlife Righteous Fire character, and a RF Cast on Melee Kill character. The first idea was never really given much thought beyond "RF burns ES for less, and you can get shitloads of ES if you build/gear right". The second idea revolved around using culling strike and Cast on Melee kill to finish enemies off as they were burned down with RF. Arc and Ice Nova are cast with CoMK to shock, freeze, and trigger EE for RF.

Build

The Tree

Features: 105 Points
38% Reduced Reservation
66% Increased Effect of Auras
200% Max Energy Shield
6% Life Regen
+1 Max Fire Res
Keystones: Zealot's Oath, Blood Magic, Elemental Equilibrium

Suggested Gear and Links

Rare Sceptre (+3 to Fire Gems) R-R-R
Purity of Fire / Empower / Reduced Mana
The most important thing here is a +3 one hander. Sceptre is the best because of the ele damage, but a dagger works too if you'd rather use Whirling Blades for movement than a slow Leap Slam. Other mods to consider are fire damage or Catarina's mod. I am aware that the wiki says PoF stops gaining max res at level 23, but when I asked around, the only person who claimed to have tried pushing one that high said the max res continued along the previous pattern, giving +6 at level 26.

Springleaf or RotP R-G-B / G-G-B
Leap Slam / Faster Attacks / Elemental Weakness or Leap Slam / Faster Attacks / Elemental Weakness
I think that if it doesn't cause degen here, Springleaf is the better option. Without RotP, you'll be at 85% fire res when aura effectiveness is factored in.

The Vertex RRRB
Vitality / Reduced Mana / Empower / Discipline
+1 to all gems, some ES, and even a decent amount of chaos res. What's not to love? Vitality gives more regen, discipline gives more survivability and damage.

Rare ES Gloves RRGB
Reduced Mana / Empower / Purity of Ice / Purity of Lightning
Res auras go here. Except for purity of fire. That's already in your weapon. Remember, more ES on these gloves means more survivability and damage.

Rare ES Boots RBBB
Increased Burning Damage / Righteous Fire / Concentrated Effect / Increased AoE
Standard RF links. Remember, more ES on these boots means more survivability and damage.

Shavronne's Wrappings RRRGBB
Life Gain on Hit / Cast on Melee Kill / Cyclone / Culling Strike / Ice Nova / Arc
Here's the idea: While RF is burning the enemies around you, you're spinning into them. When they drop into cull range, you cull them and cast your ice nova. That triggers EE, which allows your next spell, Arc, to do increased damage and leave a longer duration shock when it hits. You now have not only EE giving your RF more damage, but also shock.

Your belt, amulet, and one ring should all have as much ES as you can get. If you had infinite currency to spend on this build, you would craft 20% max ES from Elreon on many amulets, and vaal them until you hit +1 to all max resistances. Your other ring is a Shavronne's Revelation, preferably legacy, to regen loads of ES.

Thoughts? Improvements? Other suggestions?
Aura Reservation Calculator: https://poe.mikelat.com/
Chromatic Calculator: http://siveran.github.io/calc.html
Tired of using GGG's crappy skill planner? Tell them here: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1555283
Last edited by MosesXIII on Apr 26, 2015, 10:28:49 PM
You wrote:
Leapslam - faster attacks - ele weakness twice.
I guess you wanted Whirling blades instead of Leapslam for the 2nd one :)
TOILETTE  BRUSH  BOYS

@Etti
I have never tried to do an RF build so maybe I will learn something here, but two things immediately come to mind:

1: How do you plan on doing damage? Let's say you reach 7k ES (just a number I pulled out of my ass, but you are not using a high ES shield). That means you would be doing 3.5k dps with RF. You have 40% Fire damage on the tree and you could probably get 20+30 fire/elemental damage on your scepter and let's say 10% on rings etc. You get 59% from IBD and 1.69 multi from Conc Effect. That's 3.5*2.59*1.69 = 15319 dps. In what is basically a melee range. 15k dps which you will have to kill bosses with. Doesn't seem so great to me. Granted, you will get the -res from EE as well but that won't work against single enemies, and even with EE (or with your cursing them with Ele Weakness) your single target dps would still make for extremely painful boss fights.

Your Cyclone won't be doing any damage.

Your Arc and Ice Nova will be doing minute damage even with the RF multi because of no spell or elemental damage on the tree.

2: You have no survivability. No AA, MoM, armour, evasion, dodge, no Cwdt even. Also, being a low life char, no freeze or stun immunity (I know cyclone makes you immune to stun, but it doesn't to freeze. And anyway, would that really work, just cycloning around all the time?). You also need to go into melee range to do damage. Won't you die in like 1s every time?
Last edited by Cabesi on Mar 23, 2015, 11:22:01 AM
I did a low life RF build in Std recently, I reached around 35k dps. I used Ice nova ( + curse on hit ) to proc EE.
Your tree is too much focused on auras node, you need 60 % aura bonus in total, nothing more. ( to get Purity of Fire at 8 % )
Mortal Conviction is a waste, ice nova lvl 1 q20 cost nothing.
Mandatory weapon is Doryani Catalist. Shield you need to use the one with extra max fire res ( +8 % )

basically :

RF+Increase Burning+Conc Effect+Inc Area+IIR+IIQ
Ice Nova + Curse on Hit + Elemental Weakness
Purity of Fire 21 + Empower 3 + Reduced Mana
CWDT + IC + EC + Increase duration
Others aura : vitality / discipline + ?

i forgot the tree but it kinda like :

https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgMA2VsbJUuu6QLfim0ZPV9SU5f0l5WnKzW5EVAdTxzcDY1sCyL0L2_ZE3C77BjBxX_GtAyTJ1fJDXzqupitKPrGnhB_DH2Cx_no98EabJ2uwBpmnvrSjHa3MZ487DiCm5o773w8BZ_ffEu2hu0gaPJboKdVfA6UoNpiaHQJ9tR8Bg4n7cT2PC1M_69sKS7xrFcN2WEZLho-fLhfP8RY9kjyL89-rY1xeRccEmlCoySwFy-ApFOlDF8cp8autz5Bh-QiKU8spqbrN4M3ZjQKSVHw1Y_6lS4HHkmx18_5N--I
IGN TylordRampage
Last edited by Malone on Mar 23, 2015, 12:08:53 PM
Don't worry about DPS, I'm running a 7K ES / 2K HP hybrid RF build (kinda clumsy, using leech to sustain life vs chaos damage), and a Doryani's Catalyst + elemental damage on the tree, the damage is insane, especially with curse and EE.
However, the idea that Energy Shield burns for less is only true if you have a very high ES pool compared to your life pool.
Consider this : you have 7K ES and 1K life.
So you burn for 70% of your ES per second but also for 90% of your life, which translates to 90*(1/7) = 12.8% of your Energy Shield per second.
So you actually burn for 82.8% of your ES per second, which is not very far from what a life build experiences, and that's with a very high ES/life ratio (it's the important thing to consider for sustaining Righteous Fire here)

Also, you go all around the tree to get aura nodes, which is extremely unefficient for your build, doesn't bring much to go so far just for mediocre nodes, better get somme elemental damage/spell damage on the tree. For example this tree brings you enough aura nodes to get only 82% of your life reserved by auras :
http://poeurl.com/zhW5OhI
Here's the calculator for it :
http://poeurl.com/zhW5WIW

Oh and btw, I'm pretty sure lvl 26 PoF doesn't give 6% max resist, did some research about this and it most likely doesn't get higher than 5% max resist. Even then, with 42% aura effect and 21% inc effects of buffs, you get 8% max resist from a lvl 23 PoF.

I have a spreadsheet for ES-based RF builds to know if you can sustain your Righteous Fire and for this build, with the tree I provided and lvl 21 PoF and 20 Vitality, you still regenerate 2% of your ES per second if you have 7K ES and 1K2 life. Leaves a lot of room for less ES or more life or whatever. And that's counting the 21% increased effects of buffs, which increases Righteous Fire degeneration.

If you want to discuss this, just add me in game and hit me up when I'm online, I spent a lot of time creating and thinking about ES-based RF builds so that's kinda my area of expertise now :p
IGN TylordRampage
Last edited by Malone on Mar 23, 2015, 4:43:53 PM
Solid build :)

Here´s mine;

I have been messing around with an ES-based RF Char since over a year now, dumped hundreds of regret orbs in my passive tree and tried tons of item/skill combinations - im finally pretty happy with the current state of my build.

Suggestion:

Your build lacks some kind of defence, i think.
Melee ES build are pretty vulnerable to big physical hits (devourer for example) - the good old Cookie Cutter CWDT + Enduring Cry + Immortal Call combo works amazingly well

While its always nice to have some extra Max Elemental resistances, an empowered purity of Ice/Lightning is just a little bit too much in my experience - there arent really much enemies with huge elemental hits (the few exceptions are Vaal + the Flameblast exile - but Rise of the Phoenix is enough to facetank them) and you can easily outregenerate the smaller hits.
Empower is also kinda wasted on Vitality, since the extra Lifereg per Level isnt that huge - so you could try to remove some Empower gems and maybe also some Reduced Mana Gems (unlike me, you dont really got a problem with mana-reservation :P) and add the CWDT combo instead.

You can also remove the 9 Points close to the Ranger tree, since you actually only need 60% for PoF to reach 8% and spending 9 passive points only to buff your Discipline a little bit seems not worth it.

Other than that, your build seems pretty nice - i like the idea of your Cast on melee kill Setup.

"
Yalani wrote:
Solid build :)

Here´s mine;

I have been messing around with an ES-based RF Char since over a year now, dumped hundreds of regret orbs in my passive tree and tried tons of item/skill combinations - im finally pretty happy with the current state of my build.

Suggestion:

Your build lacks some kind of defence, i think.
Melee ES build are pretty vulnerable to big physical hits (devourer for example) - the good old Cookie Cutter CWDT + Enduring Cry + Immortal Call combo works amazingly well

While its always nice to have some extra Max Elemental resistances, an empowered purity of Ice/Lightning is just a little bit too much in my experience - there arent really much enemies with huge elemental hits (the few exceptions are Vaal + the Flameblast exile - but Rise of the Phoenix is enough to facetank them) and you can easily outregenerate the smaller hits.
Empower is also kinda wasted on Vitality, since the extra Lifereg per Level isnt that huge - so you could try to remove some Empower gems and maybe also some Reduced Mana Gems (unlike me, you dont really got a problem with mana-reservation :P) and add the CWDT combo instead.

You can also remove the 9 Points close to the Ranger tree, since you actually only need 60% for PoF to reach 8% and spending 9 passive points only to buff your Discipline a little bit seems not worth it.

Other than that, your build seems pretty nice - i like the idea of your Cast on melee kill Setup.

The two biggest revelations (insert pun about Shav's ring here) I gained from your thread were the use of Voideye and Voidbringer. My current thinking has changed to using both of those uniques. Yes I'll lose out on one good ES ring, but I'll be able to make it back up by not only switching to Catalyst, but also freeing up its sockets to run a 3-link CWDT / EC / IC. As for Voidbringer, well, I know you weren't keen on the idea of empowered purities in the first place, but I am, and voidbringers would kick that up one notch further and have a decent amount of ES to boot.

As for the content of your post here, I'll admit that I'd hoped not to need a CWDT link (especially since when 1.4 hits, you won't be able to trigger EC). I'd hoped to stack higher amounts of regen and fire res through empowered auras to simply brute force my way through most damage. However, it was still something I was wary of, which is why I was honestly glad to be able to clear up space for a CWDT link without dropping any of the effectiveness from my aura setups.

I also took the advice in this thread and dropped the reservation nodes by the ranger tree. With those points, I grabbed Holy Fire (burn node between templar and witch), the three regen nodes right off of the templar start (bringing me to 7.2% from the tree) and Inner Force (how the fuck did I neglect Inner Force?)

At some point I will edit the OP to reflect these changes. Also, has anyone actually tried using Springleaf for low life RF? I haven't actually tried figuring out the math of it all (math isn't my thing, and since Springleaf is a 1c unique, I figured it'd be easier to just test it down the road than to try and focus on crunching the numbers), but every time I bring it up, people look at me like I've got three heads.
Aura Reservation Calculator: https://poe.mikelat.com/
Chromatic Calculator: http://siveran.github.io/calc.html
Tired of using GGG's crappy skill planner? Tell them here: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1555283
If you have Inner Force, you can also drop the aura nodes beneath Blood Magic, they're very weak anyways. You'll still have 42% increased effects of auras and 21% increased effects of buffs -> 42+21 = 63% increased effect of PoF, still enough to get 8% out of your lvl 23 PoF.

Concerning Springleaf, it's quite simple : with your setup and with a lvl 23 PoF, you'll reach 92% fire resist. Imagine you're burning for 82% of your ES each second. (1-0.92) * 82 = 6.56 % of your ES per second
However, if you lose 8% max resist from RotP, you double that burn : (1-0.84) * 82 = 13.12 % = 2 * 6.56 % of your ES per second

So, not worth the 6% life regen.
That's also not counting Inner Force, which increases the RF degeneration effect, so you'd lose even more than that.
Also, with only 84% max fire resist, you'll lose the ability to easily get to 100% with a Ruby Flask, which would grant you a very high effective ES regeneration and thus, loads of survivability.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info