Where to find experienced developers to help me out?

I'm beginning the process of learning everything I need to know to make my own Top-Down Futuristic ARPG. However, as it is a lot to learn starting from almost no knowledge, I often have questions that are relatively hard to find answers to. I am hoping to find someone who will voluntarily help me solve problems I run into every now and then, or help me understand things. Someone I could maybe chat with on Skype and send my code to if there's an error I can't resolve in it and have them tell me how to fix it.

I've done a little poking around but I'm not really sure where to look for this sort of thing. I can't pay someone to help me, craigslist seems shady, and I can't afford college.

So far I've been watching lots of tutorial videos for the main things I'll be using: Unity (for the game engine) and Blender (for creating all, or most of the objects in the game).

With that said, maybe someone here has a better idea of where I could look?
Designer of Unending Hunger and The Craving divination card.
frontseatquestion@gmail.com
isnt unity pay to use? Subscription or smn liek that?

Why not try out unreal engine 4? it went free. Is unity easier to use?
"
S3ph1r0th wrote:

They changed their pricing model with the release of Unity 5. In short, it's free for hobby game developers and small indie companies.

Anyways, OP, what kind of questions do you have? I have started to play around with Unity, too, and so far I have found everything I wanted to know by doing their tutorials and using google. The Unity forum seems to be rather slow but the answers.unity3d.com page feels like a decent place to get answers. There are also many other game development communities where people might help you out.
Stackoverflow might also help
"
kruemel2222 wrote:
"
S3ph1r0th wrote:

They changed their pricing model with the release of Unity 5. In short, it's free for hobby game developers and small indie companies.

Ow, cool. Didnt know that.
Btw, is unity considered more capable/easier to handle/"better" (anything of the before mentioned) than Unreal 4?
I was ready to start using ue4 for a little project of mine (now that i finally got into computer science university) but if it's easier to do in unity then ill start there (it's a 2d project).
Last edited by S3ph1r0th on Mar 23, 2015, 6:10:22 PM
"
kruemel2222 wrote:
"
S3ph1r0th wrote:

Anyways, OP, what kind of questions do you have? I have started to play around with Unity, too, and so far I have found everything I wanted to know by doing their tutorials and using google. The Unity forum seems to be rather slow but the answers.unity3d.com page feels like a decent place to get answers. There are also many other game development communities where people might help you out.

I guess I was looking for a tutor-like figure. I also was hoping for a place that had all the answers I might need to find.

I think I need the additional help because I'm honestly a bit of a slow learner. :/
Designer of Unending Hunger and The Craving divination card.
"
"
kruemel2222 wrote:
"
S3ph1r0th wrote:

I guess I was looking for a tutor-like figure. I also was hoping for a place that had all the answers I might need to find.

I think I need the additional help because I'm honestly a bit of a slow learner. :/

I am afraid that it will be very hard to find someone professional who will give you private lessons for free.
Of course I don't know how advanced your questions are, but there is a lot of information online. If you want to learn C# or Blender, there are tutorials that teach you the basics. Many things have already been asked somewhere, so you should be able to find the answers if you google correctly. If that fails, ask on a community page.

"
S3ph1r0th wrote:
"
kruemel2222 wrote:
"
S3ph1r0th wrote:

Ow, cool. Didnt know that.
Btw, is unity considered more capable/easier to handle/"better" (anything of the before mentioned) than Unreal 4?
I was ready to start using ue4 for a little project of mine (now that i finally got into computer science university) but if it's easier to do in unity then ill start there (it's a 2d project).

TBH, I didn't do too much research here. From the little I have read online it seems to me that both engines can handle any everyday game task just fine (that is as long as you are able to implement it ;) ).
There are tutorials for both of them that show you how to create a simple 2D game. I recommend to give both engines a try and then decide which one's workflow you liked more.
Last edited by kruemel2222 on Mar 23, 2015, 8:09:23 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info