Goodbye, to one of the world's greatest leaders

Some of you may not know of him... but he was a visionary. Yes, he was a tough SOB who did bad things, but perhaps, all great leaders are.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/03/22/asia/singapore-lee-kuan-yew-obit/
http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1984685_1984745_1985491,00.html

Thank you, sir. May you RIP.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2015/03/lee-kuan-yews-singapore

Spoiler
Last edited by dlrr on Mar 30, 2015, 6:34:17 AM
I don't get it.

I'm sure he was great, RIP, but that picture doesn't say much.

It shows growth but all the points brought up does not coincide with changes to the graphs outside of the fertility rate.

It is extremely inconsistent and does not convey any information that links him to those changes.

Am i missing something?
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Hey crackmonster, I agree the picture actually doesn't say much. The obit links in the OP provide a lot more detail on what he has done and the context with which he did it in.

A quick summary of the context:

- Singapore was a British colony. Size smaller than New York and less than half the size of London. Zero natural resources apart from a port.

- Under Lee Kuan Yew's leadership, Singapore stopped becoming a colony. Given the country's size, they joined Malaysia. Singapore got kicked out of Malaysia in 1965.

- After getting kicked out, the country wasn't expected to last long given it was pretty much a backwater that lacked everything and was surrounded by idealogically-different, and on occasion hostile, neighbours.

- Against all odds, and under his leadership, the country turned into one of the richest per capita in the world today

- Key achievements included defense (thanks to him bringing in the Israeli military for training), public housing (which involved shifting people from farms to government apartments), safety, a constantly evolving economy that attempts to transform itself constantly (focus on electronics manufacturing during the 70s and 80s, focus on services and banking from the 90s, oil refinery and storage, adding on pharmaceuticals post 2000, etc), and establishing a multi-racial culture in what was previously a volatile mix of races

- He was by no means an angel. In his own words, he did "nasty stuff", including detaining people without trial. He also bankrupted several political opponents. But, all in all, he was a man who created an economic miracle (he was the country's first Prime Minister from 1965 to 1990)
Last edited by dlrr on Mar 23, 2015, 6:34:34 AM
Thanks for the longer explanation, sounds quite extraordinary.

I like that he was just rolling over opposition that was just trying to get some shine thinking of self.. and sometimes you need to disregard what an outsider can justify to do what is right.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Mar 23, 2015, 8:12:30 AM
Lol this thread will dig out all the Singaporeans. Again, RIP MM Lee. Salute.
I had read somewhere that singapore is one of the most drastic rising countries economically-speaking. Their economy went up like crazy in a matter of 20 years.
Also, http://www.heritage.org/index/ranking. Second after hong kong in economic freedom.
I guess that mister is the one to blame for that rapid growth?
Indeed he was Sephiroth! But don't take my word for it:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/in-memoriam-opinion/1737126.html

SINGAPORE: Following the death of Mr Lee Kuan Yew on Monday (Mar 23), newspapers from around the world have published opinion and analysis pieces about his life and his accomplishments.

Henry Kissinger, Washington Post

"I began this eulogy by mentioning my friendship with Lee. He was not a man of many sentimental words. And he nearly always spoke of substantive matters. But one could sense his attachment. A conversation with Lee, whose life was devoted to service and who spent so much of his time on joint explorations, was a vote of confidence that sustained one’s sense of purpose.

"The great tragedy of Lee’s life was that his beloved wife was felled by a stroke that left her a prisoner in her body, unable to communicate or receive communication. Through all that time, Lee sat by her bedside in the evening reading to her. He had faith that she understood despite the evidence to the contrary.

"Perhaps this was Lee Kuan Yew’s role in his era. He had the same hope for our world. He fought for its better instincts even when the evidence was ambiguous. But many of us heard him and will never forget him.”

Roger Cohen, The New York Times

"You don’t have to like Singapore to admire it. Once you begin to admire it, of course, you may discover in yourself a sneaking affection. The achievement of Lee Kuan Yew, the nation’s founding father, who died Monday at the age of 91, is immense. The 20th century produced few greater statesmen and perhaps no greater pragmatist.

"The fact that the elements for cataclysm exist does not mean that cataclysm is inevitable. Lee demonstrated this in an age where the general cacophony, and the need to manage and spin every political minute, makes statesmanship ever more elusive. The determining factor is leadership. What defines leadership above all is conviction, discipline in the pursuit of a goal, adaptability in the interest of the general good, and far-sightedness."

John Burton, Peter Montagnon, Kevin Brown and Jeremy Grant, The Financial Times

“His greatest achievement was to promote the concept of good governance in Southeast Asia, a region long plagued by corrupt, inefficient governments. As Singapore’s Prime Minister for more than 30 years, he built his small island republic into one of the world’s economic success stories.”

Steve Forbes, Forbes

"Lee simultaneously demonstrated that sound finance can coexist with soundly thought out social programmes. He pursued a vigorous housing programme that enabled people who didn’t earn high incomes to buy their homes; his was a model for how subsidies need not lead to the housing-related disasters that have plagued the US.

"Singapore’s health care system has provided comprehensive coverage to its people without the rationing, high costs and dicey care that characterise so many others. Singapore’s pension system avoided the pay-as-you-go trap that is hurtling those in other countries toward insolvency."
I saw this thread and thought it was about FusionReactor.
That guy was alpha as fuck. Great role model for every man.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
Indeed he was! Not many men out there have said to the CIA:

"The Americans should know the character of the men they are dealing with in Singapore and not get themselves further dragged into calumny. They are not dealing with Ngo Dinh Diem or Syngman Rhee. You do not buy and sell this Government."

http://www.reddit.com/r/singapore/comments/2zzlz3/til_cia_tried_to_bribe_mr_lee_kuan_yew_and_got/
Last edited by dlrr on Mar 30, 2015, 6:32:48 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info