[1.3] [Bloodlines] HeaT's Hybrid SZX Vis Mortis Witch Summoner (5 Spectres 9 Zombies X Weapons)

[1.3.x] HeaT’s Hybrid SZX Vis Mortis Witch Summoner (5 Spectres 9 Zombies X Weapons)

This is a guide for a Hybrid life Witch Summoner build I used in the Hardcore Bloodlines league. It utilizes three key unique pieces (Vis Mortis, Midnight Bargain, Bones of Ullr) to create a crazy minion army with offensive and defensive utility. The highlight of this build is having 5 Spectres, 9 Zombies, and a slew of Animate Weapons. Viable in both HC and SC but the build was developed and played in HC so it has a HC frame of mind.

Pros and Cons
Pros

+Does not require 5 link to clear high level content (lvl75+ maps)
+Can function as a support build
+Good synergy in groups because minions are a distraction and Evangelists provide invulnerable bubbles.
+Invulnerability to damage support from evangelist bubbles
+High life even with 30% reserved from Midnight Bargain (approximately 3000 life w/Midnight Bargain and 4100 ES)
+A complete “managing” summoner. All damage is managed by the character through minions, no direct character damage. A “true” summoner build if that is important to you.
+Defensive (bubbles, hybrid life, vaal discipline, stun from evangelists) and offensive utility (large number of minions providing damage)
+Energy shield gives you nice buffer to react to damage when/if it reaches your life

Cons

-Can have mana regeneration problems
-No physical mitigation outside of evangelist bubbles
-Not a beginner’s build
-High level of situational awareness required
-Minions are squishy and require a higher level of attention than desired
-Cannot clear some high level map bosses like Palace Dominus
-Some Bloodline mods like Herald of Obelisk mods can wipe your whole squad

Videos of Mapping, RIP, and Build Guide

General flow/gameplay of the build and how it functions.

Level 75 Plateau
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXVEPLBUbUQ

Level 77 Shrine *Post Rip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cktJ2qRZkdQ

It clears 78s just as fast minus bosses.

RIP Video (Level 88)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrHZMTdPCPs

Video Build Guide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcW0eXHk2zc

Gear Explained

General note on gear:
Because this is a hybrid life build most of your pieces should strive to have an ES base and high ES, however exceptions can be made through hybrid gear like AR/ES to lessen the difficulties of rolling off colors (ie, animate weapon requiring GRRR)

Helm - +2 Minion Hybrid AR/ES -

The +2 minion helm should be a staple to any summoner because it acts as a nice survivability and DPS boost for your minions. Animate Weapon set up in this slot because the hybrid base makes rolling the appropriate colored links more likely. Alternatively, you can use a pure ES +2 Minion with the caveat of a more difficult color link set up depending on what minion you chose to use in the helm.

Weapon – Midnight Bargain –

Midnight Bargain adds to your minion pool an extra Spectre and Zombie, but the downside is it reserves 30% of your life. At level 88 my life after reservation is approximately 3000 and my ES pool is 4100. A significant ES pool helps offset the dangers of otherwise playing with a low life pool. Aim to purchase a well rolled Midnight Bargain as it increases your minion’s damage and movement speed.

Amulet –

Preferable stats are life, es, resists, mana, mana regeneration. This particular amulet provides a strong defensive base by offering high resistances and ES sources (int, flat ES, %ES). Not completely perfect because it has a damage mod that is not utilized by my build.

Rings –

Two-Stone -

Preferable stats are life, es, resists, mana, mana regeneration. Strong ring, strength is not required and ideally should be dexterity to support the leveling of Hatred/Vaal Haste/Animate Weapon.

Ruby –

Preferable stats are life, es, resists, mana, mana regeneration. The cast speed helps with curse casting, convocation, and flesh offering. It’s not perfect because the build cannot make use of the cold flat damage, but otherwise a very good ring. This ring was self-found and difficult to replace without spending more currency than desired so I chose not to upgrade.

Boots – Bones of Ullr

Bones of Ullr add one Spectre and Zombie to your minion pool. A well rolled pair is important if you place high value on movement speed.

Gloves – AR/ES

Preferable stats are life, es, resists, mana. The plan was to run my animate weapon set up in these gloves until I acquired a 5L. I did acquire a 5L so these were on my upgrade (pure ES base with high ES, life, resistances) list before I ripped. A pair of 150+ ES gloves are ideal.

Belt –

Preferable stats are life, es, resistances. Preferred utility stats are %increased life recovery rate (helps with healing minions), % increased flask charges gained. Nice belt, would have favored % life recovery over %flask charges. Self-found.

Shield – 1EX

Preferred stats are high es (Minimum 300+), high life, resistances, mana regeneration, mana. I rolled dex on this shield to support Hatred/Animate Weapon/Vaal Haste. This slot will be your most expensive if you want to min/max and will probably set you back 4ex+. A lot of room for improvement if I had the currency to spare.

The Chest – Vis Mortis – 1.5-4EX

The most interesting piece of this build which has a special buff called Unholy Might that adds 30% of physical damage as chaos damage to a minion who poses this buff. The buff is not global and applies independently to each minion when they kill an enemy, meaning if 30 minions are concentrated on one enemy, the last minion that scores the final hit will be the ONLY minion that will receive Unholy Might.

5-Link set up for Spectres. I used Spectres in my +2 Helm until I was able to 5L the chest.

***I have mixed feelings about this chest. I don’t think the +1 extra Spectre compensates for the life penalty or for the fact that Unholy Might is not globally applied to minions. In my mind you would not benefit more from having one extra Spectre than you would from using a greater defensive ES chest (600+ ES). The offensive property would not supersede the defense gain from another chest.

On Unholy Might: The lack of proliferation severely diminishes its impact almost overshadowing it all together. If Unholy Might applied globally this chest would be more useful. Reduce the overall Chaos conversion and/or the buff time but make the effect universal.

Flasks:

I suggest having at least 2 “animation” flasks which heal your minions. One being instant and one being overtime.

Used provide instant health to minions and yourself.

Used to instant heal yourself and for dealing with bleed status.

Used to deal with bleed status and helps with movement speed because Bones of Ullr does not provide a lot of MS. *Note: This flask is not rolled properly at all. Should have rolled curse immunity and quality on it. Not too sure why I overlooked this flask. Additionally, this flask could be replaced with another “animation” flask.

Used to heal minions overtime.

Used for physical mitigation purposes and removing bleed status. The build has virtually no armor outside of this flask, it can be trivial but it has saved me from RIPing in 2 separate instances.

Gems and Links

Enfeeble (non-linked):
Used to direct/guide minions *(see General thoughts section for more info). I RIPed on three builds previously (2 were lag and 1 was misplayed) and was tired of RIPing so I choose Enfeeble. For better clear speed use Vulnerability.

Raise Spectre:
Raise Spectre – Spell Echo – Increased Duration – Concentrated Effect – Increase AOE – Added Fire (6L)
Increased Duration is used so that invulernability bubbles have increased uptime. Concentrated Effect made the bubbles and attack area too small for my linking so I used Increased AOE to compensate. I experimented with remote mine and minion damage as well. I feel the set-up is preference oriented so experiment with gems to see what you like.

Animate Weapon:
Animate Weapon – Melee Physical Damage – Melee Splash – Increased Duration
Increased Duration is required to accumulate high quantity of weapons resulting in higher DPS. Melee splash is used to generate an AOE effect. If this build used Anger/Wrath to add to minion damage I would suggest using Weapon Elemental Damage instead of Melee Physical Damage. As it stands, this build only uses Hatred so I opted for Melee Physical Damage (also has synergy with Unholy Might). *Note* I high recommend having the passives Potency of Will and Exceptional Performance before using Animate Weapon as a minion.

Reduced Mana – Generosity - Hatred
Strictly for your minions.

Reduced Mana – Discipline – Convocation
Discipline is important in contributing to your secondary life source, Energy Shield. Sockets are scarce on this build so I placed Convocation where it “fit”. I gave more importance to other gems being linked because in this build Convocation is used more for utility and the benefits it would gain from support gems is nominal.

Raise Zombie – Minion Damage – Melee Physical Damage – Multistrike
If you want your Zombies to have AOE damage substitute Minion Damage or Melee Physical with Melee Splash. I didn’t use melee splash because the build already uses 2 sets of minions who use AOE damage and I thought a 3rd was overkill.

Vaal Discipline – Vaal Haste – Flesh Offering – Increased Duration
Vaal Discipline is used to deal with high incoming damage, works for you and your minions, so if you think your minions need extra defense to deal with something like Herald of Obelisk, Vaal Discipline is definitely an option. Vaal Haste and Flesh Offering are using to boots DPS considerably. Increased Duration extends the buff of these skills. The increased skill effect duration passives from the tree boosts this set up tremendously.

Skill Tree and Leveling

Level 87
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMBA-4EBwSzBkkI9A18DlwQlxFQE2wWbxcvGyUdFB2-JKoo-iqYLJwy0TOHNZI1uTbpOlg64TwtQYdEBEVHRX5FnUmxS65Ms025U1JVxlXWVytXyVltXGtfKl-YZOdo8mpDaqxq-mvbbRluqn0YgKSCx4PbhEiFYIhAj0aQM5MnmuCboaIAplemrKcIpyuqxKyYtAy18rc-uJO86r2CwFTAZsNtxq7MvM8y0_vXz9i92QvZW9-K42rpAuq66-Tr7uyK74jwH_JF99f5N_no-oD60v4K_rM=

Level 80 – Incorporate Animate Weapon into build because at this point you should have you should have Potency of Will and Exceptional Performance notables.
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMAA-4EBwSzBkkI9A18DlwQlxNsFm8XLxo4GyUdFB2-JKoo-iqYLJwy0TOHNZI26TpYPC1Bh0QERUdFfkWdS65Ms025U1JVxlXWVytXyVltXGtfKl-YZOdmnmjyakNqrGr6a9ttGW6qfRiApILHg9uESIVgiECMdo9GkDOQVZrgm6GiAKaspwiqxKyYtfK3Mbc-uJO86r2CwBrAVMBmw23Grsy8zzLT-9i92QvZW9-K42rpAuvk6-7sivAf99f56PqA-tL-Cv6z

You can transition into actual summoner late 60s or early 70s based on preference.

I consider this build complete at level 87. After level 87, you have several options:

More life (immediate)
More energy shield (immediate)
Grave Intentions (4 points lvl 91)
Aura Effect
Inner Force

My preference is life.

Note* Faith and Steel and Devotion is questionable in this build. If you were to respec these 6 points, Arcane Focus for 3 points and life passives for the remaining 3 points it would probably better. With my current gear Arcane Focus provides an additional 200 ES/faster recharge and life is about the same.

I leveled with life based Arc and Geoffri’s Crest. Links used for Arc were:
Arc – Spell Echo – Faster Casting – Lightning Penetration

I prioritized life and resistances on leveling gear.

BANDITS:
Normal: Oak
Cruel: Kill
Merciless: Kill

General Build Thoughts

On guiding minions:
Many summoners guide or direct minions through a skill like Arc, Freezing pulse, or Firestorm and this can be beneficial especially if you are using Elemental Equilibrium, however, this build does not use Elemental Equilibrium and the cast speed is inherently low. Using a skill like Arc (unlinked) and having low cast speed locks the character in place longer than I prefer.

From my observation, you can control minions successfully through other means like casting curses so I settled on using a curse.

Auras:
Discipline is extremely important in this build for defensive purposes. The build already takes a 30% hit on life from using Midnight Bargain so Discipline acts as a compensation mechanism. If you want to be more DPS oriented you can opt to drop it and use an offensive aura like Wrath or Anger for your minions but I wouldn’t suggest this if you are playing hardcore.

Not using an aura like Purity of Elements will make your minions more squishy than normal.

Mana Regeneration:
No Clarity or the Eldritch Battery will mean that you may have mana regeneration problems. Currently, I can only cast 3-4 back to back animate weapon summons before my mana pool depletes. That being said, there is room for improved mana regeneration via my jewelry which could alleviate this problem. This becomes less of a problem in groups.

5 Spectres?:
Do you need 5 Spectres? Probably not. Could it be just as good with four or even 3? Probably, but…5 is…cool MAN!

Bloodlines league and summoners:
The Bloodline league is rough on summoners, especially with mods like Obelisk, Bearers, Link, or Abaxoth which will DESTROY your minions, in some cases wiping them all out within a second. Luckily your Spectre Evangelists can avoid most of this damage which will allow you to reset by recasting Zombies. More traditional non-srs summoner builds will have difficulties with certain mods so be aware.

Hybrid Builds:
When the skill tree for 1.3 was released I hypothesized that hybrid builds would be extremely powerful more so than they have been in the past and they are. Defensively, they are a powerhouse, the added ES defensive “blanket” provides an insane level of survivability, and even more so with Vaal Discipline. It also allows you to react immediately if damage reaches your life pool because of the warning effect that occurs when you see your energy shield deplete. I had only 1 close call to a pack of magic cult rhoas with powerful crits that left me with 300 life. The only thing that is likely to kill you is getting one shot by a ridiculous source of damage.

How good is the build?:
Taking into account, defense, offense, clear speed, ability to clear content, utility, skill tree efficiency, and party vs solo play, on a scale from 1 to 10 I would give this build a 7 and a player bias score of 8. Scored down for ability to clear content (cannot do Atziri, struggles with Map level 78 bosses) and not having a permanent layer of physical mitigation.

That being said, the build is very rewarding, having a slew of minions and commanding a large army is satisfying. It’s also rewarding to experience the transition this build undergoes. For instance, the build plays differently from level 70 to 80 than it does from level 80 onward (when animate weapon is introduced) so there is a level of diversity that keeps it entertaining and fun. I also feel like it’s always awesome and rewarding to play a fairly successful unique build.

If you guys have any questions I will answer them.

You can find me on twitch: twitch.tv/heatzgaming
You can also check out more vids on my youtube: youtube.com/heatfury

-HeaT

youtube.com/heatfury
twitch.tv/heatzgaming
Last edited by HeaT1 on Apr 14, 2015, 7:26:15 PM
i played in group with him and it's a solid build. good clear speed and pretty safe unless you get desync smash by maze vaal :)
Pure Summoner can clear Palace Dominu.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsyGsKEZhl8
"
luckbb wrote:
Pure Summoner can clear Palace Dominu.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsyGsKEZhl8

nice, his build is pretty different, mine cannot clear palace dom at least with any sort of efficiency. his minions are not as squishy because he runs defensive auras, also he's low life so im assuming he has shavs and im not sure if he is playing HC or not. but that was definitely cool. summoner <3

-HeaT
youtube.com/heatfury
twitch.tv/heatzgaming
Last edited by HeaT1 on Mar 15, 2015, 11:22:02 AM
Oops double post.

Skill tree was modified.

-HeaT
youtube.com/heatfury
twitch.tv/heatzgaming
Last edited by HeaT1 on Mar 15, 2015, 11:21:48 AM
Yes. When Shavronne's Wrappings = ES 7282 or Solaris Lorica =ES 5514.
                     ↓              ↓
ES recharge/s             492.8     &      373.1

Low Life = Flask with
1.Instant Recovery when on Low Life ,-25% increased Amount Recovered
2.Grants (40-60)% of Life Recovery to Minions

It will recovery Minions's hp immediately.
Last edited by luckbb on Mar 15, 2015, 2:25:50 PM
"
luckbb wrote:
Yes. When Shavronne's Wrappings = ES 7282 or Solaris Lorica =ES 5514.
                     ↓              ↓
ES recharge/s             492.8     &      373.1

Low Life = Flask with
1.Instant Recovery when on Low Life ,-25% increased Amount Recovered
2.Grants (40-60)% of Life Recovery to Minions

It will recovery Minions's hp immediately.

the low life + recovery on low life flask utility set up is quite clever and nice! i like it a lot!

most players will not have the opportunity to acquire a shavs in a fresh league though. Lorica is an option but i feel like 5514 ES is too low to play in hardcore especially if you have few options for serious physical mitigation.

Do you know if that build can do atziri?

-HeaT
youtube.com/heatfury
twitch.tv/heatzgaming
Last edited by luckbb on Mar 15, 2015, 4:18:15 PM
"
luckbb wrote:

that was the rawest atziri kill ive ever seen. his zombies are only 4L so his sentinels have 6L. high level sentinels are really strong, and anything with a 6L does good to amazing damage. also, he triggers EE with arc for a nice damage boost.

i can only hypothesize the theory behind that fight and what was happening as an attempt to answer your questions. it's risky not to have ruby flasks but as a summoner your minions deaggro damage away from you, the result being atziri's flameblasts targeting minions for the most part. he gets hit a few times but nothing to worrisome because he also has vaal discipline and a spare one if need be. im willing to bet his ES regen with vaal disc is ridiculous. the short answer is he doesnt really need them because of the "evasive" utility his minions provide AND he can vaal disc instead which helps you AND your minions out whereas a ruby would just help you. last thing is he can probably get more utility for him and his minions out of using other flasks because a ruby would only apply to player.

on vaal haste not being used. it would be wasted in this instance because he kills so fast, he could use it but then it would be wasted in between phases. my assumption is he is saving it as a reserve just in case the fight doesnt go as planned and he loses 2 or more sentinels and too many zombies, in which case he can vaal haste to compensate for the lack of dps that would occur from being 2 spectres short. im going to assume that those sentinels are probably the highest level possible from a magic pack so resetting that fight wouldnt be an option, so vaal haste is saved as a last resort.

again just theory, but it is interesting to think about. that atziri kill was quite spectacular considering it's a pure summoner.

-HeaT

youtube.com/heatfury
twitch.tv/heatzgaming
Thank you for your explanation , it help me a lot !!!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info