Focus Gems (and solution to help melee) and AA idea

I know GGG already has melee fixes coming 1.4, but this is not exclusive to that.

Add gem slots to the character itself, not just to equipment. It can go on the inventory screen either before or after the potions. You can add just one (for the purpose of housing just a focus gem) or add three or even four that are linked, which can be used like any other gem slot (focus gems then should be able to go any where - in equipment slots or these character gem slots - like portal gem).

The multiple linked slots idea would assume GGG would like to give players more gem slots than currently exists from equipment. You can make it an AA idea, where one slot opens up at certain levels e.g. 20, 50, 80, 100 and/or required a certain amount of experience points to unlock (as well).

You can have both ideas, i.g. one focus gem slot (on one side of the potions) and the linked slots on the other side.

Anyway, to the focus gems. They should be white (like the portal gem). Here's just a few examples and you can see how they can used to enhance or balance certain type of builds. Note, don't focus or argue about the numbers, just look at the concept (GGG will come up with the best values).

(focus gem of the ...?)

Warrior (something this may help the melee issue)
- 10% less damage taken
- 5% less spell damage done
- 5% less project damage done

Ranger
- 5% more projectile damage done

Anti-mage
- 15% less spell damage taken

Mage
- 5% more spell damage done

Assassin
- 10% more damage done
- 10% more damage taken

Defender
- 10% less damage taken
- 10% less damage done

These are just some ideas. I'm sure you can think of lots more.

Of course allow only one focus gem to be equipped. You can make them static like a portal gem or make it have levels that would increase it's benefits (reduce it's negatives).

Pros:
- focus gems: alternate way to improve a character which doesn't depend equipment or a node on the skill tree that you must reach
- focus gems: quick way for GGG to balance certain types of builds
- multi-linked-slots: alternate way to advance - make the last few slots take a lot of exp to unlock
- multi-linked-slots: more slots for more skills is always desired

Rough Picture (warning mad skills inside)
Spoiler
Last edited by Dregos on Mar 4, 2015, 5:31:58 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
neat idea
I Liked your idea. Its pretty close to my request for more gem slots got from passive tree.

It really seems to help to balance overall. Will this focus gems to have another color? Black? Pink?

Your idea is more explained. Its a nice suggestion. I prefer to use skill gems instead, but it's really great anyway.
Last edited by samfortal on Mar 4, 2015, 9:03:21 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info