Has Mao Kun been changed?

I have run a Mao Kun after a while since my last one, and I have noticed a small change in how treasure chests spawn; now they spawn almost one after each other, after killing about 3/4 of the spirits in the map, instead of one at a time at more regular intervals. As a side effect, the final Fairgreaves fight (the one in which he is surrodunded by a circle of ghost pirates) is earlier, and there is less need to go around and chase the last ghosts in the map to get it.

Was this change in recent patch notes? I must have missed it.
Shower thought: no two rares are the same. So rares are unique, while uniques are not. On the other hand, uniques are rare, while rares are not.
"
fph wrote:
I have run a Mao Kun after a while since my last one, and I have noticed a small change in how treasure chests spawn; now they spawn almost one after each other, after killing about 3/4 of the spirits in the map, instead of one at a time at more regular intervals. As a side effect, the final Fairgreaves fight (the one in which he is surrodunded by a circle of ghost pirates) is earlier, and there is less need to go around and chase the last ghosts in the map to get it.

Was this change in recent patch notes? I must have missed it.

I don't think it's any different. I've played this map about 5-6 times, most recently probably like 1-2 months ago.

I kinda know what you mean, sometimes it "feels" different. You can probably look on the wiki to see how how it's supposed to unfold.

I always seem to make 1 full circle and kill all the mobs. then, on the second time around, I get the chests & mini-fairgraves.

I think there's like 6 chests total, then you get fairgraves. maybe sometimes after i kill him I notice I still have a few more "ghosts" to kill.
You need 8 chests total; 7 before fairgraves' final form.

The map has been the same forever. The chests spawning isn't about how many ghosts you kill; there is a specific ghost that will spawn for each booty chest. Killing that specific ghost will unlock the chest. As far as I can tell, ghost spawns are relatively randomized, so if you have to go to the far edges of the map to kill them all, your spawn pattern was just unlucky. Likewise, if you unlock all the chests in a neat row, well before you finish clearing the map, you were lucky.

The ghosts that spawn booty chests are called Revenant Pursers. Pay attention and you'll see the chests spawn as they die.
Last edited by codetaku on Mar 1, 2015, 10:36:30 PM
The ghosts in question that spawn the chests have a stormsail shield (basically a shield that looks like a ship's wheel).
Theorycrafter/Build Creator for PORTAL guild
@BlightScourge -> guide @ view-thread/1382667 (Retired till Mjolner is fixed)
Lvl 94 Crit Mjolner Marauder
twitch.tv/savagewolves

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info