anti drawing mechanic

Just my two cents on the matter, I've been in both situations where my enemy runs away from me, and vice versa I run away to reposition myself. Why not have a mechanic placed where if you dealt no damage to the enemy units after X seconds you receive a DoT debuff that lasts until you die or you damage your opponent. The degen should also increase as the stalling goes on so it puts the runner at a disadavantage. As for the damage, if there was any way to put an unblockable unresisted percentage based degen that would be great.

I feel the mechanic encourages offensive play over turtling and running away. Let me two scenarios where I feel it works best.

Scenario 1 : An ice shotter vs a puncture trapper in the dungeon tileset. The trapper runs down the bottom corner, lays down traps and camps the inner corner. The ice shotter has no way to get direct LoS to fire a straight shot unless he walks through the puncture trap minefield, or he blink arrows into a trap stack. In this scenario the puncture trapper forces the ice shotter into a scenario where he must play on the uneven field to even have a shot at winning. the way the degen mechanic works is that the puncture trapper camping defensively will NOT damage the ice shotter unless he goes into LoS and does offensive traps, so he is subject to the degen. The ice shotter though will be able to use rain of arrows to break traps, therefore damaging a unit of the enemy and being safe from the degen. This situation shows how offensive play is encouraged instead of a game of attrition and patience, which is imo boring as fuck.

Scenario 2 : An ice shotter vs a facebreaker cyclone in the docks tileset. The ice shotter blinks to the top and camps by the uppermost corner laying traps at both sides. The melee then clears traps and rushes the ice shotter. As the melee initiates with a weapon swap flicker into cyclone, the archer blinks away. now he is forced to keep running and suffer degen, or turn around and take shots at the melee. The second s
choice is imo conducive to a good fight, where the melee isn't forced in a cat and mouse chase with the running archer.

I feel like the overall pacing of LLD in its current state is lacking, and I loathe having to fight vs builds that purposely delay. I don't want to give any names but in general I believe there isn't a build where you're forced to play the defensive coward. All builds can be played offensively if there ever is a reason to, and I hope this mechanic or one like it can be that reason.
what happens if you have a tankier character that can outlive their opponent by managing to avoid him long enough?

all I'm saying is that it sounds too complicated to be 100% fair all the time
LLD BOTW spark/arc caster guide http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1133731
Last edited by andkamen on Feb 23, 2015, 1:29:34 AM
damage would be %based off the hp of the player. Basically no way to use the system to win. Worst case scenario both players draw but 10/10 times if you're the least bit offensive and not a turtling running douche you will get atleast some damage in for the mechanic to not matter to you.

remember the goal is to dissuade people from purposely stalling and BM'ing by wasting time. the degen is purposely in favor of the guy playing offensive.
I don't think this would be a good idea, not every build is meant to be played in an offensive way, neither every player likes to play in an offensive way.
Imo waiting for the right moment to attack and repositioning when needed is where you really see the skills of a player; if i would be forced to constantly attack in order to avoid a DoT debuff, the incidence of my strategy would be diminished, yet the incidence of my gear/stats/build would be increased.
Furthermore, i played some other mmorpgs which had the exact mechanics you described, and it actually ends up favouring running tanks' builds, with high movement speed, hp and notably life regeneration.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info