1.3 Hyaon's Fury Flicker COMK Arc --WIP--

This build is based on the unique sword, Hyaon's Fury. Hyaon's is interesting because it has a very variable damage range, as well as self-buffing damage at the cost of survivability, and sustain-on-kill mechanics. I liked the idea of the weapon but didn't know enough about the game back then to effectively use it. Since then i've picked up a thing or two - and the recent buff (ok, reduction to the debuff) to the weapon gave me less discincentive, haha. Please note that this is a WIP, trying to get the basics down first.

This is my attempt to use it in a thematic way, creating what i'd basically describe as a lightning kill-caster. Below i go through the build and logic behind it. Please let me know what you think!

Disclaimers:
Spoiler

1. Hyaon's is, by nature, rip-prone. yes, i die.
2. Flicker Strike, is by nature, very desyncy and ergo, very rippy. yes, i double die.
3. This is HC viable only if you like to make expensive trips to standard.
4. Despite all this, riding a stream of lightning around the map is hella fun.

LOGIC:
Spoiler

This section goes through the reasoning behind the build in a step-by-step manner.

DAMAGE + SCALING:
Spoiler

I decided that the best way to utilize this weapon would be Flicker Strike. Since the whole point of the weapon is to kill often enough to keep the increased damage from killing you, the 1.25 damage multiplier of Flicker is very attractive. Additionally, the inherent movement,attack speed and dodge of the skill doesnt hurt either.

Since we've chosen Flicker with an elemental weapon, we obviously need to support it with Multistrike, and Weapon Elemental Damage.

The next problem was AOE damage, and i didn't like the obvious choice of Melee splash due to the all-around less damage multipliers. Since Hyaon's is about getting kills quickly, and has such variable damage, doing LESS damage doesnt help. So i looked to other options - namely, Cast on Melee Kill, linked to Arc. COMK is not a popular gem, as most people prefer to add raw dps to their main attack - but as a way to achieve AOE without sacrificing more than necessary main attack damage, it's perfectly suited to Hyaon's Fury.

Lastly, since we do strictly lighting damage, Lightning Penetration gets us maximum damage efficiency.

Static Strike can be a strong alternative, as it's AOE kills will proc the COMK arc; and in groups I prefer to use it so that i don't flicker out of range and die/annoy people. IF you're running with a culler, switch out COMK/Arc for Life Leech and Added Lightning.

DEFENSES
Spoiler

Since we've chosen to go Flicker and pure lightning with Hyaon's, good defenses are critical. The most dangerous aspects of this build are desync, stuns, physical damage, and elemental reflect.

With Flicker, we want to avoid being stunned, because stun = death. That leaves us the choice of going wwith either Unwavering Stance or Acrobatics. Unwavering is permanent stun immunity at the cost of never avoiding attacks. With Hyaon's debuff, we don't want to get hit. We also spend alot of points to get to Unwavering, or we sacrifice our boot slot for Kaom's Roots. Based on this, its more efficient to go Evasion and Acrobatics.

With Evasion comes the problem of when we DO get hit with physical damage, we get hit for full damage, which will cause stuns more easily. Additionally, since we do pure lightning, reflect is a problem. The best possible defense to solve both of these problems is the unique chest Lightning Coil, which converts 30% of physical damage recieved into lightning damage, which we already need to focus on resisting.

With Lightning Coil, you recieve -60 lightning resists. Ergo, it is extremely important to overcome this and stay capped. The best way to achieve this is with Purity of Lightning. if you can get it to higher levels, it not only adds lightning resist, but increases the maximum resistance value.

We then go left along the evasion/health wheels over to the templar area to grab more elemental damage and health, then up by the dual curse and lighting damage above witch.

Dual curse is really important in this, and i believe in any elemental melee attack build. Its simply the most effective way to cut resists and boost damage....and in this case, its the only source of leech aside from Doryani's Invitation. If you can get better resists, i'd drop the four points in dual curse and get a Windscream, as it only synergizes with everything this build is about.

Defenses are based around a nice life pool, some evasion, mobility from flicker, Lightning Coil, and saffell's frame/purity of lightning.

Flasks are 2 health, 2 topaz, 1 instant hybrid.

TREE Level 87:

DPS:
Spoiler
The damage is respectable - i can clear maps with most mods fine, currently i've only done up to level 75 maps. I do stay away from blood magic and reflect. Also curse immune and cold damage, but just because i like curses and hate frozen. No regen is tough but possible. Everything else is fine - even temp chains, because flicker and arc are instant movement :D.

FLICKER
Unbuffed i currently do 4144 per hit at .21 aps (19,891 dps);
At full charges this goes up to 4966 at .13 aps (38,323 dps)
Obviously these are average values. The damage range is astronomical, ranging from mother's kisses to instant obliteration.

ARC
DPS for COMK is a function of kills over time...which is where melee splash does have a consistency advantage. However, i still feel like COMK is stronger in this case.
Arc's unbuffed damage range is currently 256-4800, giving an average hit of 2,528. It chains 5 times, one of which is eaten by the killed monster, so 4 times. I believe that makes the average damage per kill at 10,112.
The buffed range is 288-5395, giving an average hit of 2842, giving an average damage per kill of 11366 damage.

None of this includes Lightning Penetration, which currently sits at 38% and applies equally to both flicker and arc; or the Shocked elemental status, which i produce a lot of, and multiplies damage by 1.5

DAMAGE PICS:
Unbuffed
Spoiler

Flicker

Arc

Buffed
Spoiler

Flicker

Arc

GEAR BREAKDOWN:
Spoiler

CHEST:
Spoiler

Ideal chestpiece would be a 6l Lightning Coil, both thematically and mathematically. Since this build only has a realistic potential of 6 (currently 5) Frenzy charges, Coil and Purity of Lightning will still reduce our damage taken by an appreciable amount.

I've only got a 5l Coil, so its either that or a Tabula at this point. One thing I'd like to try is an evasion or evasion/es Atziri's Splendour. The life and mana on kill would synergize extremely well with the build.

You can run this gem setup with a 5l, but you'll need to drop WED or Lightning Pen, and removing either is a big reduction in power. Trying it out, its probably better to just remove the comk/arc portion and go basic elemental flicker or static strike without the 6l - kind of annoying and dangerous to run into lightning resist mobs otherwise.

HELM:
Spoiler

Because we do primarily elemental attack and spell damage, it's harder to find a better synergistic item than Crown of Eyes - however, its not absolutely necessary. Devoto's Devotion has no downsides in this setup, Alpha's Howl/Geofri's would be good for your auras, or just a rare helm with life and resists. With CoE, though, you open up gearing options significantly, as you now need only one stat to boost all of your damage.

Hyaon's is of course the centerpiece of the build. This one isnt perfect, but it has a higher damage roll, so i'm happy with it.

Because we do primarily elemental attack and spell damage, it's harder to find a better synergistic item than Crown of Eyes - however, its not absolutely necessary. Devoto's Devotion has no downsides in this setup, Alpha's Howl would be good for your auras, or just a rare helm with life and resists. With CoE, though, you open up gearing options significantly, as you now need only one stat to boost all of your damage.

With the CoE, You'll want to get a good spell damage shield, with resists and health. Mana regen would be another good stat to get on the shield, as flicker gets mana-intensive.

Amulet:
For amulets, this is a good place to get spell damage, % and flat lightning damage, or weapon elemental damage. All four would be amazing and impossible to find. Otherwise, Health and resists.

Rings:
Same as above, good place to get damage. Obviously no spell damage, but you can still get WED and Lighting Damage on rings. Otherwise, Health and Resists.

Spoiler

AT THIS POINT NOT RUNNING THIS, because resists are hard to cap with so many uniques i dropped RB for now.
I'm also running a Romira's Banquet. This isnt a crit build, so this buildup of charges helps get that crit once in a while, and keeps us up on power charges - useful with the spell damage per power charge node by the lightning damage cluster above witch. Because we don't crit that often, with either spell or attack, we're almost always full on charges.

CHANGE LOG:
Spoiler

Updated Tree. -Mana Nodes, +Eldritch Battery. -Hired Killer cluster, +Scion Life Wheel. Started adding more body. Added damage pics.
2/22 - Updated Tree + Gear. -Dual Curse, + Acrobatics. Switched Shield and Boots to Saffell's and Windscream. Removed Romira's banquet for now. Added Defense explanation.
Last edited by Eludicate on Feb 22, 2015, 4:31:38 PM
I made a Hyaon's Flicker build in Torment, it's pretty viable. Made a video about it if you're interested. You can probably modify it in some way to work with ComK by dropping 2 supports in the 5link.

I picked up Acrobatics and went with Blood Magic support in stead of going EB though. I've found that Hyaon's needs only a few damage nodes because it's such a strong weapon in it's own right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtCVfRYg03w
Thank for posting. I like how you're running things with blood magic, working off of the inherent regen of Hyaon's to keep the attacks going without touching your mana. I totally agree about the strength of the weapon, but like you say in your video, the lightning resist mobs are what sucks the wind out of our sails. The primary reason to travel the route i did was to get to all of the penetration nodes possible, as well as the dual curse setup, to counteract the resists. That and the Lightning pen gem gets me through the resistant mobs no problem.

i think i might try the more life-based build you've got going in the future.

Kind of had to stop working on this for a while, so it's likely to be after act 4.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info