Help me answer this please!!!

I have question concerning lightning damage.

Q1:
What is the reason for lightning damage having such a huge damage range? Skills, auras and items seem to all have a really big gap between the possible damage from its lowest to highest point.

Q2:
On a given instance, can your lightning damage roll super unlucky rolls doing next to no damage because it simply rolled low?

Q3: Is the reason why lightning damage is created in such ways due to the fact that it can shock where as cold and fire do not give such a substantial damage boost?

Last edited by gtrans on Feb 13, 2015, 5:17:12 AM
Nobody will be able to give a definitive answer to your questions because "it just is".

From my personal stance, lightning represents a volatile power that is highly unstable and as such, in an attempt to reflect this in-game it has a wide range variety of rolled numbers.

It can take out a rare enemy in a single hit, or in an excessive amount of hits.

However if we take the raw numbers and apply them over time there "average" damage output is the same as all other elements.

From my point of view, lightning can be best utilized by applying a lot of hits in a short time-frame, this alleviates the high and low-end damage rolls. Since you force more damage rolls in a lower time frame.

Which in return gives it a character to build around that is nothing like the other elements.

I think this somewhat answers your questions.

As for Q2) yes this can happen, but like mentioned earlier it evens out over time or over a succession of hits.

Q3) most likely it has nothing to do with it's status ailment but is just an attempt to give it something unique compared to the other elements in the game and successfully so in my opinion.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Thanks pal. Nice read

"
However if we take the raw numbers and apply them over time their "average" damage output is the same as all other elements.

While I do agree that technically, lightning damage should be on par, the status ailment defines it's superiority.

"
gtrans wrote:
Thanks pal. Nice read

"
However if we take the raw numbers and apply them over time their "average" damage output is the same as all other elements.

While I do agree that technically, lightning damage should be on par, the status ailment defines it's superiority.

Shock is extremely on par if not sub-par currently to the other ailments.

Freeze enables the best form of EHP increase, a frozen enemy deals 0 damage, almost nothing beats perma freeze builds in support.

Burn is one of the best "semi-crit" one can attain in the game, proliferate burns is one of the best forms to clear AOE-style and can be easily scaled.

Shock has actually become one of the most boring ailments currently, it "just" increases your damage output but leaves very little to be build around. You either combine it with other damage sources/ailments or you simply ignore it.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
gtrans wrote:
I have question concerning lightning damage.

Q1:
What is the reason for lightning damage having such a huge damage range? Skills, auras and items seem to all have a really big gap between the possible damage from its lowest to highest point.

Q2:
On a given instance, can your lightning damage roll super unlucky rolls doing next to no damage because it simply rolled low?

Q3: Is the reason why lightning damage is created in such ways due to the fact that it can shock where as cold and fire do not give such a substantial damage boost?

answer because every arpg in existence has done lightning cold and fire that way.

cold would has the lowest peak damage but the highest min damage , fire would have a higher max damage but a lower min damage and lightning would have a very high max damage but a very low min damage.

cant really think of a good arpg in recent memory that strayed from that formula

in practice you attack too fast for the variation to matter but if for some reason you try to build a spike damage build which relies on slow lightning attacks you would be in trouble

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info