How to get tankier? (and more dmg?)

I have 2 accounts i mainly play on,
lvl 80 mara dual flame totem,

and lvl 80 ele spec throw scion.

however, both builds im fairly squishy, and not do as much dmg as the guides say they claim to do.
how do i get tankier and increase dmg?

This is dual totem

and this is my Ele Spec charc

NOTE: (i know get higher gem level to increase dmg, but other than that how else? )
A few more level will always help.

Go crit on totemer. Going crit it almost always a good thing to do to increase your damage, even point wise.
on gear: spell damage on amy. You can also try a caster shield like, rathpith globe with spell damage
on links: you can try fire pen instead of faster proj or added chaos. If you're well overcapped in res, you can try tabula rasa to get a 6th link.
put lightning wharp / faster casting / reduced duration in your gloves for high mobility (=> defense)

On the buzzsaw: afaik, this is not currently a popular spec. Back in 1.1, it scaled very late, iirc. You had to wait for lvl past 90 to get 13-15k lmp dps.
A few things however: your sword is slow, get one with 2.1 aps at least. And you lack WED on gear.
Ranger builds list: /917964
When two witches watch two watches, which witch watches which watch?
If the witches watching watches watch the same watch while you watch which witch watches which watch, they switch watches; then, the watch switching witches watch which watch you watch.
Watching witches watch watches is not for the faint of heart...
Last edited by Panini_aux_olives on Feb 13, 2015, 3:01:11 AM
Another thing to note is that many guides will show you the maximum damage and survivability for the finished build. Since your gems are not fully leveled yet and have no quality, your damage is a lot lower naturally.
Some will even go as far as squeezing out every possible way to get big numbers like having full power/frenzy charges when taking a screenshot of the damage without even a way to generate these charges reliably themselves. Or something like using full 21/20 gems and the Atziri Flask, then calculating what theoretical DpS they can reach with 100% crits, maximum damage rolls and triple curse and EE on while the stars align and a slightly surprised whale and a flower pot fall from the sky.
11.02.2013 - 11.02.2017: four year PoE anniversary!
"
vargorn wrote:
Another thing to note is that many guides will show you the maximum damage and survivability for the finished build. Since your gems are not fully leveled yet and have no quality, your damage is a lot lower naturally.
Some will even go as far as squeezing out every possible way to get big numbers like having full power/frenzy charges when taking a screenshot of the damage without even a way to generate these charges reliably themselves. Or something like using full 21/20 gems and the Atziri Flask, then calculating what theoretical DpS they can reach with 100% crits, maximum damage rolls and triple curse and EE on while the stars align and a slightly surprised whale and a flower pot fall from the sky.

This.

Plus a lot of the guides are showing characters decked out with mirrored best in show gear further increasing the damage numbers.

It's usually counter productive to worry about replicating the numbers shown in those types of guides.

If you have enough DPS and defence to do the content you desire then don't get hung up about it.

To answer what to do when feeling "squishy", what damage type is hurting you. Physical, Elemental, Chaos? Spells, melee, ranged?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info