Require DELETE for dropping gear - RL horror story :)

Setting: I have 5 year old twins, boy and girl. The girl was not feeling well, so I went into the living room to lay on the couch with her. The boy turned the monitor on and started dropping gear off of my toon (not in my stash, not in Guild Bank, not traded, and I was in a town so it was unrecoverable). All of it gone baby, gone!

He came into the other room and said, "I'm playing your creepy game, Dad". So I checked on what he was doing. He had killed off: Atziri's Boots, Infractem Bow which had lvl 17 Puncture gem combo, all flasks, and whatever else was in my toon's inventory at that time.

Luckily, the gear is replaceable for about 1x, so I'm not too peeved, but here are some Quality of Life / Sanity suggestions:

1) Time-out the session after 15 minutes of inactivity. Many reasons to do this. Relatively easy to listen for that condition and call it.

2) Require a DELETE textbox before higher level gear can be dropped. Could be based on ilvl, linking, or cost algorithm.

3) Some might not agree with the suggestion above, so alternatively require that all gems must be removed before gear can be destroyed. There is a checkbox for this when you sell, but for dropping, it should be mandatory. This would prevent unnecessary gem and gear loss as people unfamiliar with the game probably wouldn't be able to make that happen.

... while we're at it...

4) Is there any way to make a parental control to make the game a little less creepy, a la skins and gore settings? I know that's a (whole) lot to ask, and I don't play the game in front of my kids, but I also don't want them to see the graphics in case something like this happens.

5) Out of scope for the above discussion, but it would be IMMENSELY HELPFUL to get a health/flask HUD so that I don't have to look at the bottom left of the screen while in combat. HUD should overlay in the middle so you don't die as much in combat.

Or possibly just be able to move around screen elements, which I don't think you can do with your screen, but a very cheesy health HUD would do wonders!

Anyway, some food for thought. Happy to support ($) the game - I love it, keep up the good work, and don't let the man get you down.

Cheers!
~ Scards
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
The more I think about this, the more I am up for the inactivity timer. That would solve the issue above almost single-handedly without a lot of new code. Just a thought...
Requiring all gems to be removed before an item can be deleted would be nice.

Other suggestions are little too specific to your own situation (though a time-out period would be useful for retaining data usage in some cases too). So, the gem-drop thing is the only thing that I would say is necessary.
There is a text box asking you if you want to drop/delete the item if you try to drop it in town.

An auto logout timer wouldn't really help much.

4. nope and there is not likely to be, game is not marketed at children.

5. again nope, you allow it to be moved and you are catering to the lazy and those that want to use super wide screen/multi monitor setups to basically zoom hack, not going to happen.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
"
lagwin1980 wrote:

5. again nope, you allow it to be moved and you are catering to the lazy and those that want to use super wide screen/multi monitor setups to basically zoom hack, not going to happen.

No idea what zoom hack is as I am pretty new to the game, but (respectfully) this actually IS needed. When you are spending time looking at your health/mana bars, you are not engaging in combat effectively, and relying on peripheral vision is too inconsistent. Why butcher people that play on larger monitors?
"
Scardia wrote:
"
lagwin1980 wrote:

No idea what zoom hack is as I am pretty new to the game, but (respectfully) this actually IS needed. When you are spending time looking at your health/mana bars, you are not engaging in combat effectively, and relying on peripheral vision is too inconsistent. Why butcher people that play on larger monitors?

It was a bannable program that allowed people to zoom further out from their character to see much more of the map and "cheat"

Multi monitor offers almost the same function as a zoom hack as you see much more of the screen, it's not as much as a zoom hack but it is an advantage but doing a multi monitor set up is not bannable...many still consider it cheating though.

Allowing people to move the UI makes it easier still for those that already have an advantage and dose not really offer anything for those that don't have the set up...if anything it would effect performance.

Deal with it, it dose take a bit of getting used to but there are other queues to dropping health mainly the light radius being reduced which is very noticeable, you don't need to look at the orbs past a glance even in the thick of combat you should be able to manage this.

Last edited by lagwin1980 on Feb 1, 2015, 5:18:05 AM
"
lagwin1980 wrote:
"
Scardia wrote:
"
lagwin1980 wrote:

It was a bannable program that allowed people to zoom further out from their character to see much more of the map and "cheat"

Multi monitor offers almost the same function as a zoom hack as you see much more of the screen, it's not as much as a zoom hack but it is an advantage but doing a multi monitor set up is not bannable...many still consider it cheating though.

Allowing people to move the UI makes it easier still for those that already have an advantage and dose not really offer anything for those that don't have the set up...if anything it would effect performance.

Deal with it, it dose take a bit of getting used to but there are other queues to dropping health mainly the light radius being reduced which is very noticeable, you don't need to look at the orbs past a glance even in the thick of combat you should be able to manage this.

I'm just throwing this out there - if your camera is so claustrophobic that using a duel monitor setup can be argued as giving an unfair advantage, your camera is way too zoomed in.

I don't mind the level of zoom so much in the game, I think the horizontal angle is about right, but the verticle angle (specifically the southern angle) is appauling. When you have mobs that are halfway through their leapslam animation (I mean distance, not time) by the time you see them, they are leaping from 2.5 to 3 times the distance from which you can see them at. That is fucking atrocious game design.

I repeat: I don't have many beefs with the zoom and UI layout in this game - but THAT is my bugbear.
"But we still had a lot of fun, please don't think this comes from hate.
We bitch because we like you and we want you to be great!" ~Miracle of Sound
Last edited by LostKavi on Feb 1, 2015, 7:06:54 AM
It's not claustrophobic, that just the shit cheating scum spout to excuse their use of cheats, it's fine as it is, the UI dose not need to be moved...all it would accomplish is making it easier for those that cheat or skirt cheating with multi monitor and impact on game performance.

"
lagwin1980 wrote:
It's not claustrophobic, that just the shit cheating scum spout to excuse their use of cheats, it's fine as it is, the UI dose not need to be moved...all it would accomplish is making it easier for those that cheat or skirt cheating with multi monitor and impact on game performance.

Did you just stop reading 5 words in?

What part of "If mobs are halfway through their attack cycle before you see them - much less see their starting position - you're zoomed in too far" flew in one eye and out the other? I would suggest going back and reading the entire post before replying.

And no - I don't use the cheat codes. If I knew how though, I probably would.

Spoiler
Not now that I know that GGG is carpet banning for them. Not worth it. Still want that verticle FoV to be greatly increased.
"But we still had a lot of fun, please don't think this comes from hate.
We bitch because we like you and we want you to be great!" ~Miracle of Sound
Last edited by LostKavi on Feb 1, 2015, 8:16:22 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info