Space's CWS Scold's Discharge (1.3) - RIP 1.3.1

Well, 1.3.1 was deployed and trashed the build. Scold's does not stun anymore. RIP, it was fun while it lasted.

Welcome, this is a very unique build made possible by the new Torment specific unique Scold's Bridle. Scold's inflicts damage of 400% of the mana cost of skills on yourself. The concept is to link Cast when Stunned in multiple gear slots to spells, and stun yourself using Incinerate to trigger them. I use Romira's Banquet Ring to get power charges from incinerate (as it cant crit, removing the charges) which are then used to power discharge.

The build is CI for one primary reason - a low amount of life is necessary to stun yourself reliably from scolds. A secondary benefit is running free bloodrage for Frenzy charges to be used in discharge. From the passive tree and corrupted gear I have 7 Power Charges, 5 Frenzy, and 4 Endurance. Discharge dps using concentrated effect is about 150k per use. I currently have 7.9k ES

VIDEO - 77 SHIPYARD - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjpcD9T_SKk&feature=youtu.be - apologies for poor quality, recorded on laptop.

Key Items:

Voidbringer is needed to increase the mana cost of incinerate to a level where it causes enough damage (via scolds) to stun. I use maligaro's restraint to keep myself permanently shocked which further increases the damage taken by using incinerate, to a level where CWS triggers very frequently. It also gives a badass bubble effect which i like, and the 15% movespeed and 60% increased damage is great.

The struggle with using incinerate is getting to a high enough mana cost where it will reliably stun with Scold's - Voidbringers and Mali's belt are key for this. However, I take significant damage just from casting. This means that If I am unable to leech ES back I will die very quickly. Luckily 1 discharge is enough to leech back to full, but it is similar to playing a Blood Magic character in that you damage youself to do damage to enemies.

Currently I leech via warlords mark linked to curse on hit with herald of thunder. If i were to get a 6l I would add in leech to my discharges for additional safety. Currently I cannot run No Curse maps because of my reliance on warlords mark.

In addition to discharge linked to CWS in my 5l chest, I also run 2x arcs, Ice nova, and enduring cry linked to other CWS gems in my gear. These trigger often and are a great source of secondary damage. Enduring cry gives more charges for discharge.

REFLECT - Ele reflect is very dangerous with discharge. If i see a reflect pack I will remove my cws gem from discharge, which reduces the threat and I can then attack with incinerate and rely on my arcs and Ice nova to kill it. However, surprise reflect packs will kill me, but if played cautiously it should be ok. You can see a reflect pack early on in the recorded shipyard video.

The build actually does great damage with just incinerate, hitting a tooltip dps of 4.6K in a 4l with full charges up - so incinerate on its own is a great source of damage.

STUN MECHANICS
Spoiler
With ES up you will be avoid stuns 50% of the time. Once stunned, the CWS gem has a 50% chance to proc each linked spell. Each stun can proc multiple spells, but no duplicate spells (i.e cant trigger both arcs at once). For this reason I have 2x discharges linked in my 5l, to ensure they proc regularly. I usually get 1-2 procs every second as seen in the video. If desired I could replace my arcs/ice nova with another discharge gem for more Booms, but that would make it difficult to fight reflect packs. My incinerate has a cast time of .07, so about 14 casts a second. 50% of those stun are avoided by having ES up, and then another 50% are further lost by CWS only triggering 50% of the time when stunned. This is still 3-4 stuns/casts a second, which is plenty.

Full gear:
Spoiler

Tree at lvl 88

Bandits - Kill all, Kill all, Help Alira (power charge)
Last edited by SpaceJanitor on Feb 3, 2015, 12:32:09 AM
Very nice use of new unique mechanics. I just don't understand that why it looks like that you are not getting stunned at all.
2.0 ain't no melee patch.
Thanks - the reason it doesnt look like im stunned is 1. Practical application cluster in witch - 55% chance to not be interrupted by stuns, and 2. Incinerate is barely over the threshold to stun me reliably so the stuns it creates are quite short.
Space going for BoTW again lol.
That's a pretty interesting build you have there :). I like the amount of thought that seemingly went into making it.
Awesome build. I was making a 100% crit chance CWS discharger in rampage, but didn't realize the potential Scold's brings. Well done!
Glad to show some new ideas off - if anyone else has tried a CI scolds CWS build i'd be keen to hear about it. A week or 2 ago on reddit i recall someone using warlords mark as a trigger which also seems interesting, although will proc far less i think.
Welp... they cut this build's balls off... =\
Build is trashed as of 1.3.1, they fixed the "bug" that made Scolds stun on self inflicted damage. If you've been doing this, the tree still works for a really strong CI discharger.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info