[1.3 HC Viable + Newbie Friendly + VIDEOS] Static-X Melee Marauder

Hey everyone, what's up? I would like to present to you my melee marauder build which I made in Torment. Every now and then I heard a phrase that "melee is dead" (especially when new leagues started, and people complained that melee isn't buffed) and I just wanted to prove you that melee's NOT DEAD! It's actually great and I recommend it for everyone bored with fighting from a distance, it's very refreshing to actually make a contact with enemies.

The block chance is lower, yeah, okay. It was overpowered anyway. But defences from shield are way higher now, and there are also counterattacks which can be linked with life gain on hit to get more survavibility. And new tree is simply great, it offers very good flexibility to grow on def/dps simultaneously as you level up. I would say that all in all melee is very much viable now.

The name Static-X came to me from mixing main skill - static strike - with main weapon used - axe. And I also wanted to honour recently passed Wayne Static (although I don't listen to him, but I kinda like his vibe).

Build highlights
Spoiler

- easy to make (doesn't require any specific items)
- effective (can do any maps with any mods)
- super fun close combat (true manmode poe experience)
- mega tanky (5.2k hp, 50% block, 10k armor, max res, life leech + dual life gain on hit)
- high dps (30k dps on static strike)
- great flexibility (can be more defensive or offensive, depending on what you like him to become)

Character sheet
Spoiler

Videos
Spoiler
dominus run - skip to 2:20 for fight - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaR7t2rcSOc
rare lvl 75 plateau map - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCOrQK5Sjfo

sorry for the choppiness - my potato laptop fault.

Tree
Spoiler
for level 87 - https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgEAe4zG2D38WGOMz_ZIXz8UIORRUEfvDho-6dV5OX7ins3SIYIH8kHZfFcNrY3Pfnas6hj46xNMJvgX4U4ywaNZ_jB34mFkUnKp9zLE9j0P_lQNzStQHM4GOSSL8wb7qlFgOth8u-w4kFUnL4KbmjvvfDwFn9_AZvAfogAEszboAeenMBRN_EsYkbyfZKOuUBPJ_muE72EhGlV07QUteu9gS14TrK8M96mVwL9AoASHMk6PmbaKYuwvzMGChNm9Nkd-vqdlTXzZZacaOBLhkc4t0rvt

I would suggest to get mara nodes first, then head to the duelist side, and finish on the templar side. The order is up to you - but it's generally good practice to balance between def and dps nodes. And take endurance charges last.

Gear
Spoiler

There aren't really any specific items to get, but I would suggest to prioritize high block chance shield, good rare dps axe, eq with hp and resistances, and when everything is ok, focus on maximizing damage.

You can get the uniques I have, they are very strong. For armor you could also go with Carcass Jack for more AoE.

It's good to have some mana leech on gear so you don't have to use mana potions. Some dex on jewelry would be also recommended if you don't wanna waste points for +30 dex node in the tree.

Soul Taker would be nice as a weapon (though I believe the damage will be lower). The weapon I have in hand now cost me 20c.

Gems
Spoiler
Check my pasted eq for fast config info. We gonna use every slot for some purposes.

5-link: static + faster attacks + multistrike + weapon elemental damage + melee physical damage
our damage dealer.

4-link: standard def for melee, I mean cast when damage taken + immortal call + enduring cry + increased duration
our defensive machanic.

4-link: reduced mana + herald of ash + hatred + herald of ice
more deeps. you can switch HoI for tempest shield if you would like to be more tanky.

4-link: reckoning + life gain on hit + curse on hit + warlords mark
you can switch CoN+WM for any damage gems for more deeps.

3-link: vengeance + added fire damage + life gain on hit

3-link: leap slam + faster attacks + endurance chance on melee stun
for movement.

It's good to have 20% quality static strike - it gives 15% more aoe.

Feel free to ask any questions. I don't know if it's Atziri viable - haven't tried it yet. I will and give you some info. Have fun!
Last edited by ziew on Feb 6, 2015, 9:31:08 AM
How about bandits? Do you take skill point on Cruel or attack speed/physical dmg? And on Merci you go for Endurance charge or skillpoint?
why not Unwavering Stance?
Resolute technique and Abyssus?
@Marrond - it's really up to you, I prefer to take passive points on both cruel and merciless, allows for more flexibility

@tase - waste of passive point and about 16% evasion chance, which is 1 for every 6 attacks

@elonzin - yes, its for crazy deeps boost

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info