Insta Dead Strongbox - Should be adressed

Hello, since i dont know if that might be a bug, or it should be a bug - i will adress it here

(Edite: Read before description: I update these as a bug. I realised that its still hard to beat that strongbox - but i should have not died instantly. There should have been something happening before i died.)

- maybe a lagg spike like a super fast happening that forwards everything
- just the only ice nova chest that actually did have a bug - because there was no time difference in clicking the box and dying. I realised i should have had the option to see what actually was happening or the second to move away.. but there was no second to play anything before i died. Not because this box is a death trap - but because LITERALLY - I opened the box and was dead without time difference. No Freeze, no obvious lagg, maybe a non obvious lag that is impossible to notice..

So the whole story why i got to complain:
- why i searched the forum
- and why i get to say is a lagg because of the discussion below - i came to realise that there is a time difference between opening a strong box and encountering whats inside.

So. I was like:
"Oh - A Strongbox, let's open it!"
Well, that was anything i could say.

I clicked on it and was dead.

I am a witch. I play single player. The game is adjusted to one, two, three, four and how so many more players in case of amount and drop of monsters.

And yet i get one hitted by a strongbox - without any warning.
A missing warning on an Ice Nova Strongbox should be considered - very bad, for the casual gamer - that does not like exploding Strongboxes since it will INSTANTLY Kill his beloved character he can't respawn in the Bloodmod League.

I already got so far - to get all the equipment together. To easily kill Brutus, this Pirate, everything else.

So... there is this huge problem - that needs to be adressed - and as i was reading in the whole forum - it wasn't for a long time.

Since i come of a bit strong - because i have a clear opinion about how gameplay should enhance the day of the gamer and not utterly ruin any effort put into the game for like 14 hours - because of a huge balancing problem NOT ADRESSED - but mentioned all over the forum. I am gonna keep this post updated.

If u are just one person - at a certain level u cant have such high level equipment to survive this 3 ice nova strong box

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j137/Trisley/screenshot-0007.png
A Simple Screenshot

Last edited by MondPanda on Jan 29, 2015, 2:45:25 PM
Last bumped on Mar 3, 2018, 6:05:54 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
What do you mean a warning? The thing says right there on the box that it casts Ice Nova. Smart people play through the game in softcore before they attempt hardcore so they know what to expect. I'm guessing you didn't try that because everybody else knows that Ice Novas are dangerous and get more dangerous as the area levels get higher and higher. Consider yourself lucky that you got to learn a lesson at a low level instead of a high one.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
box ice nova one shots ppl all the time there are many vids of it on the internet too... not a bug you just don't have enough experience and wasn't paying enough attention to game mechanics
Pretty clear from the picture that you got frozen and caught in a pack of unstable (i.e. exploding) spawns.

If you spent 14 hours of gameplay getting to that point, then you need some more experience playing the game. Many are in or near endgame after 14 hours of play.

Either way - pay attention to mods on all boxes - remember your resists - and keep in mind the strength and weaknesses of the build you are playing.

Not a bug - not really even an issue if you are paying attention. But that is such an early RIP of a hardcore character to be complaining about......
Dear other people. I spend 14 hours with that one character.

No - You should not defend something that one shot kill in ZERO Seconds. That is just hilarious to do so. This is a game - it must be beatablet to some extend, even if it takes u a while to do so.

But the problem is.. it is not at this point. THAT THERE IS NOO NEED FOR DISCUSSION - you should realise that.

If this is a feature installed by developers to utterly annoy anyone.. because they say like - we dont care. I care. If u dont - then dont comment.

So.. an expert in this game would be one - that ignores the strongbox ? That is simply missing the point. A Strongbox must be beatable. And i dont know what happen - i just died without any delay.
And my pc did not even freeze up - there was no delay in connection either.. i just died - there was no time to life after i opened the stronbox.

I am no new player, i am no heavily experienced player... but to be fair - i died before on serveral occasions - incompetence, afk, wrong build, not enough amour, not anough equipment, not the right flasks, and so on. At level 18 there should be a point where u can continue without an inevitable death, and this strongbox has nothing to do with mechanics - it is simply something NOT ADRESSED by support and game devs.

I learned a lesson - that in an HACKN SLASH you should be able to HACKN SLASH YOUR WAY THROUGH.

IF u did miss that class, please go back to VGHS - if they would still accept you with that comment of yours.

Yes paying attention... i did just play that char while paying attention - i did not encounter a ice - nova strongbox ... for like.. ever since i started the game. That would be like 140 hours of game play. So go away. I am not sorry for adressing this as a bug.

-.- NOT AT ALL. I really want to hear a clear opinion of a real Moderator to this deadly mechanic. Since people die on all levels.. and get annoyed over it like.. worse.

Point is that this is not an insta-kill for most players who are prepared for it. You check the mods - you evaluate the mods vs. your current build - then you open it if you can handle it.

I am leveling up a witch right now - I opened no less than 6 ice nova boxes just today, and did not RIP to any of them.

There is (and has almost always been) a small delay when you open a box with visual effects, but I am telling you the exploding spawns are probably what killed you. The monster spawn from boxes is random, so that was just a horrible combination of RNG that froze you in place for a bunch of suicide exploders to kill you. The screen freeze just kept you from seeing it.

Again - not a bug. The box itself isn't always an insta-kill. The combination of box/mod/mobs killed you.

"
MondPanda wrote:
So.. an expert in this game would be one - that ignores the strongbox ?

An 'expert' would have Cold Resist, making it easy to survive. Normal/Cruel difficulty Ice Nova boxes can be beaten by simply having proper Resists, and when you're in Merveil's caverns, spoilers, you're gonna want some Cold Resist anyways.

On Merc, you can either use a Sapphire flask, outrun the Ice Nova with a Quicksilver flask, or teleport away with a Smoke Mine or Lightning Warp. Tankier builds can of course still just stand there and take it.

The point is: Ice Nova is not an instant kill.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Jan 27, 2015, 1:39:15 PM
"
MondPanda wrote:
This is a game - it must be beatablet to some extend, even if it takes u a while to do so.

It is beatable. You're just bad at it. You've played 140 hours and your highest character is 18?

I lost my first Bloodlines character opening a strongbox in Mervail's caverns. It didn't even have Ice Nova. It happened exactly like JuniorHakensheath said. I was in the middle of a bunch of exploding squids that all blew up in my face. I didn't make a bug report because I knew I should have skipped the box (any box) in that area because of the monsters that spawn from it.

There are 15,000 players listed on the Bloodlines ladder, the lowest of which is level 74. Why don't you tell them how unbeatable this game is for a level 18 character.

Ladder:http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1120982
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
There was no screen freeze. If i say .. i couldnt count till i died.. i mean i opened the strongbox, did not need to breath, count to one or anything - i mean in ZERO seconds i died. Without a freeze!

My pc did not lag.. i was just like wtf happend.. it was a millisecond at most that i might have been able to do anything..

Again. I cant outrun something that gives me no time to outrun - the zero second command i made - was not a turn of speech - it was meant literally.

SO i guess it was a bug in the end.

-.- Not because of i should know better and it is still deadly.. but because i died instantly after i clicked.

Well - .. guess i have to update above.
Huh. Find it funny. I think it was adressed in the end.
Still.. caught up on like the last posts i made and realised how funny you guys where.

You instantly thought i was a bad player.

Che. I mean, you totally ignored the fact i clicked on a strongbox and died instantly - without anything exploding - or because it exploded without delay - which in turn could or would have been a bug.

Well.I did learn i needed more resitances. But it is still laughable to insta die.
And like i said - you missed the point.

Its easy to harass a player just because he played his highest classe to death.
Doesnt mean - you should laugh about the character i chose for Display.
Its not like i needed to put a character there that was more advanced or am obligated to keep a high level one - if i dont want to play it anymore because at some point i fucked up with skills.

Its really bad to run out and yell - noob. If thats all you do. Its hateful.

Well - i doubt you have become better people by now. But maybe you try to be more helpfull or act less dumb in public.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info