supporter unique idea

A little background, this is my alt forum account. The main is linked to my steam account and goes by spartansaint with a t instead of a y. I have three moderately leveled characters,and roughly 700 hrs on Poe according to steam last I checked. I use this account from my phone as I didn't know if/how to use the steam linked account from a mobile device. I say this because it's been brought up before. I'm active duty military and cannot always have my computer to play so I daydream with help from my phone. That's the most fun for me anyways, playing just tests the ideas i had so much fun forming.

Okay to the point: I was reading the post about the supporter unique who's creator wasn't happy with the process with his second pack, refund yada yada... Some commentors mentioned needing inspiration or desire to transfer their unique.

Well to whomever feels as above I have an idea! I'm extremely fond of the IDEA of the skill animate guardian. While the haku master craft was a step in the right direction, I feel it far from shores up this intriguing skill's weaknesses. Animate guardian has such potential! But alas it has remained hobbled beyond any kind of viability and is often a waste of sockets and gear in mapping builds. Relegated to a mere supporting minion role, if at all, it appears our dreams of an awesome permanent minion companion will never be realised.

Or will they?

I propose the master of puppets unique gloves. (please note metallica reference for flavor)

Item strengths:
gems in this item support level (n) Animate Guardian, where ag is 1/3 of players level up to level 30 at player level 90
+x to minion gems
Animate Guardian uses socketed active skills
Animate Guardian drops all gear on death
Animate Guardian remains near player
player attacks retarget Animate Guardian aggro
possibly low level requirement
Drawbacks:
item offers no player stats (ar, es, ev,res, nothing)
player may not equip a weapon
player cannot attack
Animate Guardian must be socketted in this item
Animate Guardian may only be summoned once per instance

Now this will allow build diversity in that the player doesn't have to be a strictly ag build or even a pure summoner. The player can still be an effective albeit gimped spell caster or summoner. The attack con means no reactive gem tomfoolery, and limits mobility skills, while hamstring-ing any srs abuse (no +1/+2 staff, lightning warp is only mobility skill available and doesn't interact well with skill duration)

I feel this unique idea would be build enabling, interesting, different and breathe life into a skill that has been largely overlooked while being far from game breaking or over powered.

Please respond with thoughts, concerns, ideas, and critique.
Last edited by spartansainy on Jan 28, 2015, 2:54:39 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Bump
"Nothing at all". I was told to say that in this case.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
"Nothing at all". I was told to say that in this case.

I'm sorry, what?
Anyone?
*player cannot attack*
*no stats*

Good Luck - Taken
"
Lynerus wrote:
*player cannot attack*
*no stats*

Good Luck - Taken

Well the idea is to give animate guardian the huge buff it needs without becoming game breaking. It allows for a powerful minion, but also somewhat limits ag, while allowing the character to be effective in certain ways while preventing abuse. Idk, could you be more constructive?
The old adage is "If you can't say anything nice, say nothing at all." I just took it a bit too literally.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
The old adage is "If you can't say anything nice, say nothing at all." I just took it a bit too literally.

Haha fair enough. But what are your thoughts? I mean it's not koams or shavs but I think it offers a new aspect in that squishy spell casters and summoners can have a tank, or with some gear investment can have a true guardian
"
spartansainy wrote:

I propose the master of puppets unique gloves. (please note metallica reference for flavor)

Item strengths:
gems in this item are supported by level (x) minion life.
+x to minion gems
Animate Guardian uses socketed active skills
Animate Guardian drops all gear on death
Animate Guardian remains near player
player attacks retarget Animate Guardian aggro

I may be missing the obvious here, but does this last one mean that the character can "steer" the guardian towards a target by using the given skill?

Are the "socketed active skills" limited to the ones in the gloves? If not, it might be too powerful, if they are it might be too weak given the "player cannot attack" listed further down.

"
spartansainy wrote:

possibly low level requirement
Drawbacks:
item offers no player stats (ar, es, ev,res, nothing)

It would need a new base glove item then, which GGG could make, and would allow the gloves to have a non-preference for gem colors when using chromatics.

"
spartansainy wrote:

player may not equip a weapon
player cannot attack
Animate Guardian must be socketted in this item
Animate Guardian may only be summoned once per instance

Now this will allow build diversity in that the player doesn't have to be a strictly ag build or even a pure summoner. The player can still be an effective albeit gimped spell caster or summoner. The attack con means no reactive gem tomfoolery, and limits mobility skills, while hamstring-ing any srs abuse (no +1/+2 staff, lightning warp is only mobility skill available and doesn't interact well with skill duration)

I feel this unique idea would be build enabling, interesting, different and breathe life into a skill that has been largely overlooked while being far from game breaking or over powered.

Please respond with thoughts, concerns, ideas, and critique.

I don't think the "Animate Guardian must be socketted in this item" line would fly with GGG at all. (Their oft stated stance is they want build enabling, not build limiting items).

Maybe use "Animated Guardian" is supported by level (x) minion life" instead of "gems in this item are supported..."?

It looks interesting, and animated guardian definitely needs some love.
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info