Torment "Budget" Low-Life No shavs/lorica Mjolner discharge/arc 7k ES 100% light res with flask

Hi this is my torment low life Mjolner build, without shavs instead having 79% chaos res and about 600 unreserved life to survive chaos damage. I consider this "budget" in comparison to other low life mjolner builds because it doesn't require any other expensive/legacy uniques (>2-3 ex) like shavs, voll's devotion, shavs ring etc. You can even use broken crown and probably get started with mjolner+self found rares.

There are two variations of this build that I've played. The discharge version offers more damage, especially vs single target. Double arc allows for ranged clearing and gives over all better clear speed in maps, and better survivability. The gear for discharge can be used with double arc, just from swapping molten strike for lightning strike, and discharge for a second arc.

This is mostly based on Tom94's Rainbownuke, with the aim being affordability. This entire build costs less than shavs, not to mention the shavs ring and voll's devotion. The solaris lorica version for me just doesn't have enough ES. I would recommend levelling as life/es hybrid as self cast arc, and not going low life until around 85, but levelling is up to you. I spent ~50 regrets respeccing from life-based mjolner, try to avoid that.

Pros/cons

Pros:
-Very good dps, both single target and aoe, best clear speed I've played with
-Can do most map mods on high level maps, can kill palace dom (turbo dom is still very scary though)
-High effective life pool (7.6k total)
-immune to reflect with a topaz flask. So far haven't one shot myself without topaz flask. Without I out leech on single target reflect
-is a "budget" build
-Surgeon's flasks for face tanking map bosses
-doesn't require 5/6L chest

Cons:
-Life leech rate is based on max life and is fairly low
-have to keep an eye on 2 life pools, requires paying attention
-requires mjolner
-requires a good PC (arc version not so bad) and might lag out your party (have made 3 people DC to date)
-can't think of any more

Some notes on the build

Romira's generates power charges on non crit, when discharge triggers the power charges are consumed by discharge before they are "removed" by romira's, if discharge crits. Arc has a crit chance of 19% without power charges and molten strike is only 6.3%, so for the majority of the time power charges are generated consistently enough to make a lot of discharges. I'm not sure if the order of gems has an influence on this, I order it so that discharge comes first, in case arc crits and removes power charges but it doesn't make a noticeable difference at all. Also blood rage generates frenzy charges which can be discharged even when the power charges are removed.

Another variation is to go non-crit with resolute technique, meaning accuracy can be ignored and power charges are never removed by arc, however I prefer being able to use surgeon's flasks for boss fights (especially atziri).

This build is reflect immune while flasks last, with 100% max lightning res. Reflect maps are tedious but possible, using 2 surgeon's topaz flasks and keeping them up for every pack.

A surgeons life flask is absolutely necessary, I haven't died yet to chaos damage but I would without it, chaos damage from beyond packs, atziri cycloner, poison cloud boxes etc are very dangerous. 600 unreserved life with 79% chaos res is equivalent to about 4.5k hp with -60%, for perspective.

using leap slam/blood rage delays energy shield regen. When I need to regen ES after a pack or during a boss fight, I weapon swap to cancel blood rage and use a quicksilver instead of leap slamming. This means it's important to have blood rage in the shield, and no aura's as they would cancel too.

As for map mods, i'm not yet over capped enough for ele weakness, but can swap in a high res ring instead of romira's and go with double arc. minus max is impossible, would die to the first reflect pack. Vulnerability affects chaos DoTs and I think blood rage too, but is no problem really. No regen maps are possible by spamming the life flask, I would not do this when I'm sleepy though. With no freeze immunity, extra cold damage maps can be tricky, just got to pay attention and use the freeze pot quickly. As for chaos damage mods like desecrated ground, poison on hit they are no problem. I can afk in desecrated ground if I cancel blood rage. The atziri trio fight has some strong desecrated ground too, but flasks makes it easy.

One think to avoid if possible is catarina missions with chaos damage, the chaos adders in her missions hurt alot, and they spawn very strong desecrated ground.

stats screenshot

skills and links

Auras
-reduced mana-empower (atleast level 2)-discipline-purity of lightning (lvl 20) in the vertex (for +1 level to all gems)
This gives a lvl 23 purity of lightning which provides 5% max light res, buffed to 7% with passives. with topaz flasks this provides 100% max light res providing complete immunity to reflect.

-reduced mana-purity of fire-purity of elements
This can be in the chest or gloves, capping resists without these extra purities is almost impossible, but if i did get the perfect gear to do this I would use herald of thunder instead, and swap in PoE for ele weakness maps.

If you feel the life flask pot too much effort, purity of fire can be replaced with vitality, in this case maybe the life flask can be omitted.

Attack skill/s
-For discharge I just use molten strike 4 linked with GMP, multistrike and faster attacks. With a 5L chest lightning strike can be added for versatility.

-For arc w/o the 5L chest I put in lightning strike instead of FA.

Utility
-Blood rage-leap slam-Faster attacks
This should go in the shield, allowing for weapon swapping to turn off blood rage.

-CwdT-IC-enduring cry-increased duration
I put this in the lioneye's. Soon I will buy a second pair of lioneye's with
-spell echo-enduring cry + increased duration-immortal call
This way I can swap in the self cast IC setup when necessary, e.g. atziri trio fight.

Gear

Requires Mjolner (around 20 ex), The vertex (2 ex) Romira's (1 ex), lightning doryani's belt(1-2ex), Lioneye's paws (1 chaos) (or spend 6 points for unwavering but not much room for this). The rest are rares I bought for under 10 chaos a piece (except gloves, they were 1 ex but I was using 0 es gloves for a while) to cover resist caps, str requirement and chaos resist (very important) (total 1-3 ex). a 5/6L chest really isn't necessary. I'll 6S my chest at some point just for leveling an extra gem but really you can search poe.trade for ES chests with chaos res and they are all fairly cheap.

I can't afford to yet but at some point I'll craft elreons %ES on the ring and jewellery.

Ideally for the arc variation, I would take out romira's for another rare ring with chaos res and other stats and use Voidbringer gloves. This gives around 200 more base ES and 150% spell crit, very nice. Doing this means dropping the power charges from the tree and preferably the bandit reward too.

current gear

This is a crit version, I go crit just to use surgeon's flasks. I think resolute technique will give more DPS, but it's not like I need any more. I take elemental equilibrium with the discharge version, even though it's not 100% efficient against most mobs, but for any mob with over 75% light res, +25% light res makes no effect so it is only beneficial in this instance, and this is where it matters.

Bandits:kill, kraityn, alira(or kill for arc version)

tree (crit)

http://poeurl.com/zbC5z8S

Can drop the 30 str nodes as necessary. Every level from heere I would just get the 6% ES nodes or spell/lightning damage nodes

tree (RT)

http://poeurl.com/zbC5rtG

Questions/advice welcome!
Last edited by hi_im_jacob on Jan 17, 2015, 10:01:59 AM
I was under the impression that all spells of same name now share a 10ms cool down so that same spells can not be cast at same time.

I remember when they implemented this a while back when everyone was doing CoC Builds with like 3 EK's going of and just shotgunning everything instantly. Was insanely OP too :)

My question though is how you can use 2 Arcs? I just assume they follow the same rules and logic that gems normally do and share the cool down so do multiple arcs actually fire off?

EDIT:

I tested this just now and only one arc is firing off so it seems like the same rules apply to Mjolner casting spells as say any other trigger gem like CWDT or CoC.
Last edited by Paragon1 on Jan 18, 2015, 1:12:49 PM
That doesn't apply to Mjölner.
IGN: Biutifoul
dual arc any good?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info