Herald of Ash + Ice

Hi!
Need a few clarification:

HoI need to shatter (killing frozen enemies) to take advantage of the explosion.
HoA need the Overkill.

If we shattered enemies, can we get the Overkill?
How about the interaction with Culling?

is it a good idea to use HoA+HoI with Glacial Hammer?

thanks!
Shattering doesn't magically mitigate all excess Damage :P

When Culling triggers, however, you haven't dealt enough Damage to kill the target in the first place, so there is no possibility of any overkill Damage.
Thanks Viper, always answering questions :)
btw, in the case of Glacial Hammer,
"If the enemy is frozen and is on less than one third life, they will shatter when hit with Glacial Hammer"
I take it that Shatter mechanic is similar as Culling, but I may be wrong about Shatter.

Anyway the reason I asked that question is to ask this:
(especially with Glacial Hammer) Is it good idea to use HoA and HoI together?

ok, just to add some more things popping in my head.
take an enemy with 100 HP.
the enemy got frozen at 30% HP (this will trigger Shatter by GC).
next attack hits for :
A) 40 damage. enemy dies. get Overkill? trigger HoA?
B) 10 damage. enemy dies. ...
GH's Shatter mechanic is a super-powered Culling, yes.
(Shatter is also used to describe any Frozen enemy dieing, hence my initial comment; I was thinking of the general case, as opposed to GH's special thing)

Situation A overkills the target just fine. They have below 30 Life, and you deal 40 Damage.
If you hit a Frozen enemy and leave it below 30% Life but above 1 Life (sit. B), it dies for zero overkill Damage.

GH is likely going to have a noticable (negative) impact on Ash's effectiveness.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Jan 12, 2015, 11:39:04 AM
had the chance to play the build, using all 3 heralds.
I think most of the time I can see the HoA 'explosion', but as my gear getting better and I crit more, mean I freeze more and longer, I fear the GH Shatter will overtake the Overkill. As the mace/scepter normally slow maybe it is still worthwhile to use HoA. Also there is the 15% as Fire, @25% mana, is comparable to Hatred @60% mana.

that said, using no AOE gems like Multistrike or Splash I still can do decent AOE clearing. and HoT thunder is awesome. currently my main setup is GH + Physical to Lightning (for Shock/HoT and up to 29% Light) + WED + (Added Fire/Life Leech). so far so awesome.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info