Best places to farm xp/I'm dying often on 66 maps``need some help guys`` ( CI arc witch )

Hi guys,

I've just re-started to play PoE after a break of like ..1 year and a half.The game's MORE awesome now that it was.I love those boxes and the drop rate of the currency/gear that I find MUCH better since I've paused.If I don't bother to much , I would like to know what maps do you guys farm nowadays for currency,gear and boxes.I'm playing maps but I would like to know where should I farm on acts maps.Different opinions would greatly help.

Thanks in advance,
Cheers
Last edited by nbr on Jan 13, 2015, 3:07:28 AM
depends on your current quest state for every act and difficulty...

Ledge, Docks, Sarn, Bosses are good location before jumping into maps i´ve figured out for myself.

Don´t forget to corrupt some of them :)
IMO, best place for chaos recipe is Act 3 Dominus. You can get a chaos in 2-3 runs (or use a alc to get amulet or ring if necessary. Few months ago the ratio in Standard for alc:chaos is 2-3 Alc for 1 chaos dont know is there any changes now.) XP will be The Dock if you are around 60-68 level and you have the chance to get midnight while you are leveling there... Or, doing Map as usual.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1119850
Selling Crit Bow ilvl 68-75 (Mostly White)
for boxes, highest maps you got!

not many people know this, artisans are worth an alch from
time to time. I'm not sure how much item level effects drop
but higher lvl artisans seem to drop better.

boxes and spirits show up often in maps.

and dom is easily the best place to collect chaos recipy
rares and extra alts. dom drops ooodles of rares when you
have decent iir. I usually need two or more trips to town
solo running dom at 200 iir.

I have two stash tabs for them, one for unids + id'd jewlery
the other one for unid jewlery and quality rares. I try to balance
them out over time. I'm willing to add quality on items over 15%
on average to complete a recipy. an extra chaos is worth a few shards.

not many people know this or make use of this:

higher item levels can spasn higher tier mods.
higher tier mods vendor for more shards.
higher monster levels inevitably increase the average
vendor return for blue and rare items.

for ex: ilvl 70 rares are likely worth between a quarter
and 3 quarters of an alt a piece.

an ilvl 70 blue also worth more on average.

Thanks guys.I'm currently lvl 78 ..I could've been easily at 80 ..but I died lots of times.I played lots of maps ..i found an exalted in a tropical island map.And another exalted in a box from an overgruin map.But I keep dying from time to time ..and I find that annoying ..considering I'm level 78 ..got some decent gear ..and 5,5k ES.My current dps with the arc is 12k.Still need 2 more levels to get to max the arc gem ,spell echo and others..I'm also life leeching ( ES leeching since I got the ghost reaver ).I don't usually have problems with ele reflect ..I hit,I loose es,I leech ..altough I died like in 1 second yesterday from a 1 hit ele reflect ..my guess is the rare had "cannot leech life" or something ..

THe dom runs would be perfect for me ..for the xp,items for vendoring ..and the time consumed in raport with the xp/farming.But I think Dom would really woop my ass.I didn't try to beat him solo yet.Also I think I'm vulnerable at physical damage.I often use armour flasks when Im getting physical hits.

I will post my gear here ..maybe you guys can tell me what am I doing so wrong to die on 66 maps sometimes.

P.S. My mana is kinda low.like 1,2k.Running the herald of thunder and clarity aura.I would use arctic armour ..but then I couldn't use the clarity gem.Im currently regenerating `90 mana/sec.Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

I dont know but just by the look of your gears you need a bit more es/life.

And I think you need new gloves, amulet and a ring

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1119850
Selling Crit Bow ilvl 68-75 (Mostly White)
As someone who leveled two Arc builds (91 crit Arc CI Witch, retired now because Standard + 82 non-crit Arc Mind-over-Matter Templar, current main in Torment) and several other CI builds to high level maps, i might be able to give you some pointers from my own experience.

Regarding DPS and Gem Links:
5.5k ES is pretty solid and your DPS is good too but i don't see you using the Lightning Penetration gem on Arc, which you really should consider doing. It is one of these unthankful support gems that don't affect your tooltip DPS (or even make it appear less due to spending a slot on it that you could otherwise use for some tooltip DPS increase) but it will increase your 'real' damage output considerably. Against mobs/players with capped 75% lightning resist, you will even deal upto 2.4x the damage you'd deal without it. Even against mobs with no lightning resist at all, you will deal up to 35% more damage which is among the best values you will get from a single support gem.
8k tooltip DPS with lightning pen will get you around the same effective damage output as 12k without on average. By average i mean that it will do just slightly less effective damage against common mobs with no lightning res but ~2x the damage on rares and bosses as well as any mobs with lightning res like most spiders etc.

Regarding Survivability:
Another thing with CI is that you usually want to have a bunch of ES recharge speed increase from passives so you are less dependent on leech. The essence Surge cluster next to CI is something i rarely see in builds posted here but it is also one of the first things i get for my own CI chars. It is especially powerful when combined with something like the standard CwDT setup that consists of:

+ Cast when Damage Taken (lvl 7)
+ Enduring Cry (lvl 9)
+ Increased Duration (lvl as high a possible and quality)
+ Immortal Call (lvl 8)

With a high level quality duration gem and the standard 3 endurance charges, this setup can make you immune to physical damage for 3-5 seconds when enough monsters are nearby. With the Essence Surge cluster as well as the ES cooldown reduction from the Witch ES nodes that you probably already have, your ES will start recharging after just around 2.7 seconds instead of the default 6 seconds.
The CwDT setup means that you will not only be much safer against burst damage from for example a group of leapers or TTB but also that your ES will already have regenerated a chunk by the time your physical immunity from Immortal Call wears off if you have enough ES recharge speed increase.
Oh and always carry a Topaz Flask! it will reduce the damage you take from reflect by a lot and by 'a lot' i mean 40% less (!) lightning damage taken compared to your regular 75% lightning res or even more reduction if you have 76%+ base or flask effect nodes.

Regarding Herald/Auras and Mana Management:
The links to Herald of Thunder are nice but unnecessary in my opinion since they only affect the secondary effect and not your Arc damage. I personally would prioritize runing Discipline, Clarity and Herald of Thunder all at once with Reduced Mana before even considering adding links to HoT.

90 mana/sec is too low for an Arc setup with both faster casting and spell echo. I imagine that you will often be short on mana and can hardly handle any maps with reduced recovery speed at all. But that is a problem that might be easy enough to fix:

* use your Elreon crafring device to craft +mana regen on the Plague Nail ring
* replace the Havoc Band ring with something useful with additional mana regen

Regarding Utility:
If you have problem with having too little str/dex, go get the Practical Application notable in the Witch starting area (best get all three of the stun avoidance nodes) if you havn't done so already. Besides givin you +20 to both str and dex, it will also get you 55% stun avoidance when casting (so basicaly all the time), which is insanely useful on a CI build that doesn't use the Eye of Chayula unique.
Personally, i consider it a must have for any caster build that touches the Witch starting area.

Use your lightning Warp to position yourself and/or to get away from dangerous situations. To be able to do that effectively you should link it with the Reduced Duration support gem and maybe the Faster Casting support (nice too but more optional). Once the reduced duration has a high enough level and possibly some quality on it, this will make your warp almost instantly instead of the "cast ... wait ... wait ... teleport" you probably have right now.

Use the Blood Rage skill on any CI char. You don't have to link it to anything and you won't profit from most of its boni but it will give you free frenzy charges for each mob killed. Without any links and any passives invested in frenzy charges that is still an additonal 15% cast speed - so why not? ;)
11.02.2013 - 11.02.2017: four year PoE anniversary!
"
vargorn wrote:
As someone who leveled two Arc builds (91 crit Arc CI Witch, retired now because Standard + 82 non-crit Arc Mind-over-Matter Templar, current main in Torment) and several other CI builds to high level maps, i might be able to give you some pointers from my own experience.

Regarding DPS and Gem Links:
5.5k ES is pretty solid and your DPS is good too but i don't see you using the Lightning Penetration gem on Arc, which you really should consider doing. It is one of these unthankful support gems that don't affect your tooltip DPS (or even make it appear less due to spending a slot on it that you could otherwise use for some tooltip DPS increase) but it will increase your 'real' damage output considerably. Against mobs/players with capped 75% lightning resist, you will even deal upto 2.4x the damage you'd deal without it. Even against mobs with no lightning resist at all, you will deal up to 35% more damage which is among the best values you will get from a single support gem.
8k tooltip DPS with lightning pen will get you around the same effective damage output as 12k without on average. By average i mean that it will do just slightly less effective damage against common mobs with no lightning res but ~2x the damage on rares and bosses as well as any mobs with lightning res like most spiders etc.

Regarding Survivability:
Another thing with CI is that you usually want to have a bunch of ES recharge speed increase from passives so you are less dependent on leech. The essence Surge cluster next to CI is something i rarely see in builds posted here but it is also one of the first things i get for my own CI chars. It is especially powerful when combined with something like the standard CwDT setup that consists of:

+ Enduring Cry (lvl 9)
+ Immortal Call (lvl 8)

With a high level quality duration gem and the standard 3 endurance charges, this setup can make you immune to physical damage for 3-5 seconds when enough monsters are nearby. With the Essence Surge cluster as well as the ES cooldown reduction from the Witch ES nodes that you probably already have, your ES will start recharging after just around 2.7 seconds instead of the default 6 seconds.
The CwDT setup means that you will not only be much safer against burst damage from for example a group of leapers or TTB but also that your ES will already have regenerated a chunk by the time your physical immunity from Immortal Call wears off if you have enough ES recharge speed increase.
Oh and always carry a Topaz Flask! it will reduce the damage you take from reflect by a lot and by 'a lot' i mean 40% less (!) lightning damage taken compared to your regular 75% lightning res or even more reduction if you have 76%+ base or flask effect nodes.

Regarding Herald/Auras and Mana Management:
The links to Herald of Thunder are nice but unnecessary in my opinion since they only affect the secondary effect and not your Arc damage. I personally would prioritize runing Discipline, Clarity and Herald of Thunder all at once with Reduced Mana before even considering adding links to HoT.

90 mana/sec is too low for an Arc setup with both faster casting and spell echo. I imagine that you will often be short on mana and can hardly handle any maps with reduced recovery speed at all. But that is a problem that might be easy enough to fix:

* use your Elreon crafring device to craft +mana regen on the Plague Nail ring
* replace the Havoc Band ring with something useful with additional mana regen

Regarding Utility:
If you have problem with having too little str/dex, go get the Practical Application notable in the Witch starting area (best get all three of the stun avoidance nodes) if you havn't done so already. Besides givin you +20 to both str and dex, it will also get you 55% stun avoidance when casting (so basicaly all the time), which is insanely useful on a CI build that doesn't use the Eye of Chayula unique.
Personally, i consider it a must have for any caster build that touches the Witch starting area.

Use your lightning Warp to position yourself and/or to get away from dangerous situations. To be able to do that effectively you should link it with the Reduced Duration support gem and maybe the Faster Casting support (nice too but more optional). Once the reduced duration has a high enough level and possibly some quality on it, this will make your warp almost instantly instead of the "cast ... wait ... wait ... teleport" you probably have right now.

Use the Blood Rage skill on any CI char. You don't have to link it to anything and you won't profit from most of its boni but it will give you free frenzy charges for each mob killed. Without any links and any passives invested in frenzy charges that is still an additonal 15% cast speed - so why not? ;)

Wow man , a thousand thanks.I will surely try this out.It doesn't cost me more than a few regrets and some alcs for the gems.( that I already had but gave them away for free a few days ago ..well.. ) What I don't get is the specified lvl of gems here :

+ Enduring Cry (lvl 9)
+ Immortal Call (lvl 8)

Also , for getting the ES fast recharger and maybe the str/dex nod .. I would have to give up at some skill nods.I've also posted my tree.Maybe you can take a look and tell me what is almost useless from there.

Thanks you so much again
Idk why this posted 2 times , soz for that
Last edited by nbr on Jan 13, 2015, 9:58:05 AM
The specific levels in the CwDT setup are so that all non-suport gems have the same level requirement (43 in this case) since CwDT can only proc a skillgem of the same or a lower level requirement. The Increased Duration gem is a support and therefore not affected by the level cap. You can also level all gems a little higher but i would always try to keep the 'proc damage' below ~25% of your maximum ES. On another note: quality on the Immortal Call gem noticeably increases the duration of the physical immunity so that is also a nice thing to have.

Your skilltree (had to find it in another thread btw ;)) looks pretty good and relatively close to my own CI crit Arc Witch except that you put a bit too much emphasis on damage nodes and too little into utility. You can also optimize it a bit to spend less int nodes so you can use these passives for some of the things i suggested for example.
The most notable and easiest to implement change would be to optimize it to save two int nodes and then respec the three 10% spell damage nodes in the Witch starting area and instead go through Practical Application. Your skilltree would then look like this and you have two additional skillpoints free to spend. Removing these 10% spell damage nodes won't hurt much since there is not that much difference between doing 450% or 480% damage.
Personally, i would also respec the 12% spell damage node for now so you have three skillpoints you can use to get the Essence Surge cluster. This, together with the CwDT setup, will make leveling much easier so you can still get some more damage later on when you level up more. I generally like to get all important survivability and utility nodes by around lvl 75-80 and save some of the juicy damage nodes for later on, which makes leveling up easier and more enjoyable ;).

If you still have trouble with stat requirements, you can get the +30 str notable on either side of the Witch area for two skillpoints or alternatively the life/str notable in the Shadow area. If not, i would suggest going through Soul Siphon to the Coordination notable in the Shadow area.
The Written in Blood notable is also nice to have since it goves you another +10 str as well as a good amount of ES and a little more max life*.

*While max life seems like a complete waste on a CI char, it does have hidden effects. This is due to the fact that the duration of status ailments like stun, freeze, shock etc. are calculated with your 'hidden' life pool (= how much life you would have if you specced out of CI right now). For this reason it is nice to get just a little extra max life increase although i wouldn't recommend wasting skillpoints on getting life nodes - but if you can get them along with something else you need like more ES or str it is certainly not a complete waste.
11.02.2013 - 11.02.2017: four year PoE anniversary!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info