[1.3] Torment: Low life Ice Spear, 400+ iir

This build is basicly a variation of the former build of the week you can find here https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1080647/page/1

Why is this fun?
Going with iir gear makes the game way more challenging. If hardcore isn't an option for you because like me you play drunk way to much, iir is a nice way to make the game much harder and still rewarding. I personally don't like builds that use silver bullets like regen/curses. If you run unid maps for the hell of it, beeing vulnerable to as little map mods as possible is key. This build should be able to run any map mod, though I haven't tried bm and ele reflect yet. For me, getting lots of loot is the reason to play grind games like this. I don't actually care about having insane stuff, so I have given away like 15 exa worth of stuff on torment so far.

pro and con
Pro
-fun
-high iir (currently have 420/19 with flask)
-rediculous damage for a mf culler
-can perma freeze high lvl bosses
-solo 78 maps

Con
-move speed stinks
-kinda squishy unless you have insane gear. I have only 5k es and 81/81/82 res (CI is pretty tanky though, and compared to most cullers you are a god).
-you have to aim = no 3 min gorge crap
-in large partys you are reduced to a totem casting slave.

gear
it is a low life build, no explanation needed.

These are amazing. Low-lvl-item = very easy to roll 4r (took me litarally 1 chrome, lol). 60% crit multi is crazy good since we have 95% crit chance in second form. Once I get my shav's 6l, I might craft some high es 30%+ iir gloves for the hell of it, but for dps maligaro's and facebreaker are king.

Crit multi, or gtfo. Flat + %ES is nice, res/stats and as much iir as you can get.

My rings are going to change once I stop beeing lazy and actually sell stuff instead of just giving it away. BiS would be 2 gold rings with es + % es from master craft, enough stats so you don't need any from tree, some res and dragon's + excavation for iir.

high es and iir, res is a bonus

This is one of the reasons why this build is so much fun. Ppl are just selling insane wands rediculously cheap (near BiS wands go for as little as 5c). Again, crit multi or gtfo, cast speed and as much cold spell damage as you can still get. Crafting 1% leech is huge, so having a free prefix is necessary. As a rule of thumb, 3% cast = 10% cold damage = 6% crit multi. I made an excel sheet that can calculate the exact ratios for you, if anyone is interested.

We are an iir char and this is BiS for that. The 10% move speed sucks, but thats what it is ;(

I just like this way to much, could switch to perandus if you want to go full mf, but I decided it is not worth it for me.

There are several options here. With better rings you can go with a high es shield or rathpith and run 1 bm aura. You can also go with saffel's. It should be good, but haven't tried it yet. I went with prism because I was to lazy to fix my res after the transition from CI. It gives you 2 more auras and nice all res, though the low es really punishes you.

Flasks:

Pretty standard stuff

links
Main attack: ice spear - cold penetration - spell echo - gmp for normal clearing, lmp for hard bosses - PoC
add ele prolif, crit multi or faster casting for a 6l (haven't tested these yet)
Culling totem: iir - flame totem - culling strike - lmp/gmp convenient for switching with ice spear :)
Cwdt - enduring cry - immortal cal - duration or any skill like vaal haste you want. Duration isn't rly needed, since immortal call is just for burst damage (looking at you devourers)
Auras: herald of thunder/ice for dps, discipline for es and what ever floats your boat after that.

Build
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgMAVa5Eq4-mghDfsCycBUJBltD1rrNMs1Aw214RD0wtF1QigZ6hVkqOPK-bEFjDbVxrhEj316yY34rpAkuuGyXZW20ZEVA1uacrf8YRlg5IY0Nd8nDVidNwUo9Gm6GOZB0Utvr3prFC8xFxhcAaZp760rcxjHaePJ8BdFVfKkV-Dlxq-iL0bAsNjRzc2rlG1-w4gpspT1eU1aaFfewY0NCP-uv1wwm5k_IdL2_ZE3C7N4Hk67QMkycNfOq6V8nGnhB_DH2Cxyj6X2rb50cGSVHw1SSwFy9Co4Cke9fBxQ==
That is my current tree. I wanted to try inner Force and it turned out greate. It gives you res, es and dps - everything you could ask for. Be careful with taking out freeze duration nodes like I did. If your dps is to low, you will not perma freeze. A quick and painful death against hard bosses like crematorium will be your punishment ^^
For me having above 300 mana makes using potions efficent. If you need more mana, get rigtheous decree on the templar side.

Damage
One thing you have to learn, is that tool tip dps is a joke. It can be a guideline to compare similar setups, but other than that it is pretty useless. Tooltip dps is actually one of the main reasons players make terrible decisions like running crit multi gem over cold penetration (see explanation below). That beeing said, here are some screenshots:

no charges gmp, 5l

no charges lmp, 5l

7 power charges lmp, 5l

As you can see, I have no crit chance on gear. Thats why my tool tip is so low. With powercharges and second form crit I go from 29% crit to capped 95% crit chance. In effect my actual second form dps is around 3 times my tool tip dps. On top of that I have around 40% cold penetration (41% with lvl 20 gem) and another 25% increased damage against frozen/shocked enemies (the effect this has on total DPS is kinda hard to calculate. The way I understand it, it will give you 25% more DPS for every attack after the first hit unless you are using other "incresed damage against" modifiers like "shocked" or items like berek's grip). So with lmp we have around 35k dps per spear. Large bosses like second form merveille can be hit by 2-3 spears at the same time, giving you over 100k dps with 40% penetration.

Defence

That image is with 3 resist flasks and divination distillate active. Normal res are 81/81/80 (will be 81/81/82 with lvl 20 purity of lightning). Since I have the flask skill points from witch tree, I go to 94% res with flasks. Distillate gets you to 101%

OMG I will never get shav's, this is a useless build
I got very lucky on this server and had it drop for me on day 3. Since I allready had it, it was cheaper to 5l it and get pain attunement than buying a 6l es base and crafting it. Low life basicly gives you an additional link and some iir since you can use andvarius and wondertrap instead of goldwyrm. A 6l CI is actually tankier (a lot more es) and has the same DPS. 6l's are only a few exa and you can craft them to around 500 es very easy (just roll high base es and master craft % es. Lucky regals can get you to 600+). You still have very good iir and a very strong character. If you want to be super cheap, you can also buy a 5l es and craft it like this

That will cost you 5-10c. The skill tree is very similar, here is an example:

mana potions suck
Feel free to use clarity :) I love not having to rely on regen. It makes using divination distillate that much easier, and no regen/half regen easy map mods.

curses
I hate them, don't ask me why. The whole point of this build is to perma freeze bosses with no curses. It works. if you want to curse: Elemental weakness is the best curse for dps, followed by assessin's mark

why is cold penetration op?
It reduces max res after capping. That basicly makes +75% cold res a free mod. Any boss that allready has 75% cold res now has 150%. You can hit that boss with as many crappy curses as you like, it won't matter. Yet, our 40% penetration (5% from tree, 36 from gem) applies after capping, so the boss only has 35% res for us. That more than doubles our dps (65% damage instead of 30%). Basicly if you can freeze a boss with no curse, you can freeze him with 75% added cold res too. No other link can ever beat that (assuming you have 400% crit multi (thats kinda low, I have 490) , the crit multi gem will add 120% at 20/23. Even with 100% crit, that is only an increase of around 27% dps. So, even with no resist, the 36% extra damage from penetration is much better). Don't get fooled by tooltip dps. Best to just ignore it.

videos
I am playing on a laptop, so recording makes me lagg like hell. For now I have a gorge run that I recorded to show that no regen is not an issue. This was my first recording ever, so it sucks. Sry :S If anyone wants to run maps with me and record it, you are my hero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzS4x3B3WUo&feature=youtu.be

Made a quick video of normal dominus as a DPS benchmark. Dominus is the hardest boss for this build, since you have no power charges on second fight (you can see me trying deodre's elixir, but need power charge duration from tree to make that work).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsiyqRDyOOU&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by Tyhmyys on Jan 14, 2015, 5:32:44 AM
Hey there!

Interesting build, thanks for sharing. Can you say something about your DPS / offense stats?

Also, you didn't take Pain Attunement on the tree, which I suppose is an error?

Finally, I would probably try to cap my resists with gear and run Haste + Clarity instead of the Purities. What do you think about that?
Fixed the skill tree, thx for pointing that out.

It is rediculously hard to cap your resists with high iir when not using purities. Keep in mind that you need to use a high es shield to compensate for the extra damage you take from ele damage. If you look at my gear, I have 0 res on gloves and boots, around 0 res from my rings and amulet (because of the - 20% from andvarius).
Not sure if you have noticed, but with divination distillate I am at 101% res. I would say running at least purity of ice for reflect is advised.

I have thought a bit about running haste, but haven't found a way to make it work. Clarity can be nice if you are running in a party, but seriously, mana potions are not that bad. You will need them anyways for 50% and no regen maps :)
I made a video of normal Dominus to show DPS. Ice spear is hands down the best skill I have ever used for an iir culler. A friend of mine made a life based arctic armour/Cloak of defiance variation of the build. If anyone is interested, I can make a more detailed guide for cheap high iir versions (Ci or life based) of my build.

I have experimented with using dual wands, and it is impressive. Massive dps boost. Will take a lot of work to get resists capped, but I think I can make it work.
Giving this a try. I also like to play drunk a lot and can't play hardcore because of it. Am lvl 58 now and almost have enough fuses to 6L my shavv's. Might just put item rarity in the 6th link since mana is already an issue and i'm going to be too lazy to use a totem.
Hi, which bandit choices did you take? Could you update your guide for those choices? Nice build and Thx!
There is a unique that served the build very well

With Herald of Thunder on means you will leech both life and mana at the same time. Tested it in no regen maps.
Last edited by camapngu133 on Mar 26, 2015, 1:59:45 AM
So forgive my ignorance as i am new to some of the mechanics in this game. You use prism guard, does that still work in a CI build? Because i know that pain attunement does not work so would blood magic work with 1 life? Is it possible that it splits the auras up from that 1 life?

I will test this theory out tomorrow and report back as i feel it is worth noting. If that works out, then i love the build haha i am lvl 67 with it in the 1 month league so waiting for that magic 68 to go ci!! then i throw on the doryani, the prism guard and pray that it all works out. I will be running discipline, purity of elements , purity of ice.

On that same note, does wondertrap boots also work with CI? or is it similar to pain attunement?

UPDATE: so prism guardian definitely does not work with CI, i suspect wondertrap does not either. you speak of a way to make this build work with the same iir without a shavs, using a 5l es base. Can you please include what gear variations you would use with it?
Last edited by jthomasio on Apr 7, 2015, 1:05:19 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info