Anybody else having probs with slow loading at start up

Hi my start up loading time is really slow>I was wondering if there was a fix for that ?
yeah ever since they opened the Open Beta, I get extremely slow start ups, like 5 mins to extreme of 10 mins to just to get to the login screen. Something is up and no one isnt saying much about it unless I missed something in the forums about it
All I can suggest is getting an SSD or using RAMDISK. I have a SSD and I load in 10 seconds (initial load) and 2 – 5 seconds between instances.
RIP Bolto
How do i get those ssd or ramdisk?
SSD or RAMDISK refers to a type of hard drive. In the case of SSD that's Solid State Drive, a flash memory based hard drive that provides excellent write/read times compared to the traditional spinning disk and moving head systems. However they come at a high price point relative to their storage space.

RAMDISK on the other hand is a sort of hardware hack that involves a bank of RAM chips on a PCI expansion card inserted into your motherboard. These have been around for a while but are less commonly found on retail sites or in brick-and-mortar stores than SSDs.

The performance upgrade - particularly in system start time and game loading is excellent but the price for storage is rather steep. For example: presently on sites like NewEgg or TigerDirect you can get a 480gb middle-of-the-road SSD for about $400 USD before tax and shipping.

Compare that to getting a nice traditional HDD @ 500gb for around $80 USD.

That said PoE is the only game I have on my system with 5 minute+ startup times.
"
Rivendusk wrote:
RAMDISK on the other hand is a sort of hardware hack that involves a bank of RAM chips on a PCI expansion card inserted into your motherboard. These have been around for a while but are less commonly found on retail sites or in brick-and-mortar stores than SSDs.

You can actually create a ramdisk MUCH easier than extra hardware.

Using one for PoE however requires that you have at least 12GB base system memory (RAM) although 16GB or more is better.

To create a RAMDisk if you have more than 12GB of ram, you just follow the simple post linked in the Consolidated Technical sticky and allocate about 8GB of RAM to the new RAMDisk. There is software that can do this easily for you. Then you copy the Content.ggpk file to this new RAMDisk and link it. Path of Exile will now load the content.ggpk file from there rather than your mechanical hard drive. It is by far the fastest access method as it doesn't have to go outside the memory bus like a hard drive or SSD would.
Will this slow starting speed be fixed in the future? This is quite annoying, many games start way faster than PoE. And not everybody is rich to buy SSD or have zilions of Ram for using ramdisk just for this game.
I have same problem, it takes 3-4 min. to start PoE. I don't have hi-end PC, however other games (D3,WoW) are loading much faster :(
You can also try defragmenting the Content.ggpk file using the application you can find in this forum. That can improve load times (although you should NOT use it if you are playing PoE on Steam).

As for "other games", they don't load resources in the same way Path of Exile does. PoE pre-loads a LOT of assets to help you have the best play experience once you get into the game. They would rather take a little extra time up-front than cause massive stuttering/lag in the game when it needs to load assets that aren't already loaded (which can still happen, but is more rare due to the preloading).
"
Drakier wrote:
You can also try defragmenting the Content.ggpk file using the application you can find in this forum. That can improve load times (although you should NOT use it if you are playing PoE on Steam).

As for "other games", they don't load resources in the same way Path of Exile does. PoE pre-loads a LOT of assets to help you have the best play experience once you get into the game. They would rather take a little extra time up-front than cause massive stuttering/lag in the game when it needs to load assets that aren't already loaded (which can still happen, but is more rare due to the preloading).

Thank you for your advice - game loading time decreased from 2:08 to 1:02 which is much better :) And Content.ggpk is now 4,2GB instead of 6GB.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info