FPS Question

Hey guys I recently started playing PoE, and I can tell already it will carry on what D2 has for years. I also just built a new PC for the family gift this year, and I am a little concerned at my frame rate, max settings or not. I can adjust the features down and get the frames to spike around 60, but they drop frequently, and highest settings it sits around 15fps in the middle of action.

Is this common?

To give you an idea of how powerful the PC is ....

i7-4790k
Gigabyte Z97X-U5HK-Black Edition
16gig 2133 Corsair Vengeance Pro
Geforce GTX-980 SC ACX 2.0
Game is saved on Samsung Pro 840 SSD

I figured even with PoE maxing out, this GPU would make easy work of it.
Unfortunately, PoE isn't a well-optimized game, when a lot of shit goes on even the top hardware is known to stutter and tampering with settings does little to help. Just ignore the issue and try to enjoy the game, nobody's really getting absolutely smooth gameplay around here.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
If it's a global thing then I have no problem with it, I assumed when I saw the low fps I missed something? I asked a handful of people in my game how they were running, and the average guy replied around 60-200. Little fluff in there eh?
CPU bottlenecks quite effectively. Overclocked my i7 3770k to 5ghz to push every possible frame out when playing on group. Still having sometimes under 30fps - depending on skills ppl are using. 970 G1 runs near 70% all the time, party or not.

Maybe we can get 64bit client in the future =)
Last edited by Jyssi on Dec 25, 2014, 5:10:20 PM
Yea I can't say I have the most knowledge for subjects like this, so thanks for the input fellas. I thought it was crazy that when I bought the GTX 980 it comes with Farcry 4, so of course I DLed that first and took this new rig for a spin, which of course seemed to handle highest settings no problem at a solid 60-70fps. Really that was my only base for concern. That and playing Bloodlines with my ping being in Hawaii.
"
SmackGoneWild wrote:
[..]the average guy replied around 60-200. Little fluff in there eh?

'The average guy' in Path of Exile either plays with potato graphics (an only mildly severe example), or doesn't actually get into high-density combat often enough for it to be an issue ;)

Anyways, what kinda fights are you looking at when your FPS tanks so badly? Is it a party of six with a Cast on Crit in there, or just you solo versus half a dozen monsters? What kinda character are you rolling?
Dropping to fifteen FPS really shouldn't happen if you're just going at it alone.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Dec 25, 2014, 7:10:10 PM
it drops to 10-15 if im in a party with 1-2 people casting barrage CoC supports with multiple totems. Otherwise Im around 30
Still feels a little bit on the low end, but CoC explains a lot :P

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info