[1.3] Hybrid Life/ES non crit Spark (with video)

I've been playing a lot of different Spark builds in the past couple of months and I think it's time to share what I learned about Spark with the community. First of all: contrary to popular belief Spark is actually good. Due to the way the game changed it is actually a lot better than it was back when Dual Spork Totem was popular. However due to additions like Spell Echo and several other changes Spark is now a lot better as a self cast skill.

To new players:
I do not recommend this build to new player. This build has to manage Life, Energy Shield and Mana at the same time, which might be overwhelming for new players.

Gameplay video can be found here

Gear requirements?

This build doesn't require any uniques. It does, however, require a decent amount of Energy Shield on gear to work properly as a hybrid Life/ES build. Though it is entirely possible to not go hybrid Life/ES, which reduces the gear requirement to almost zero. You want rare items that have life and resists. If possible you should try to get mana regeneration on your rings and amulet. This build works very well on just a 4 link. Every additional link will increase your dps immensely, but is not necessary.

If you play Hardcore you might want to consider using Eye of Chayula. Being perma stunned is almost the only thing that can kill this build.

How does this build work?

I obviously use Spark as my main source of damage. I manage my ES with Ghost Reaver and 1% Lightning Leech on my Wand and my Life with Flasks only. If you are an experienced player it's not as hard as it may sound at first. Mana is a little more tricky because quite a bit of mana regeneration is required due to Sparks high mana cost. However mana nodes on the tree and mana regeneration on gear solve any mana issues.

Skill Tree

Why no duration nodes?

I don't think duration is necessary anymore for Spark simply because most mobs are supposed to be dead after 1.5 seconds, so there is no need to have a longer duration Spark. They also interfere with Lightning Warp, making it unusable.

My current gear
Spoiler

Skill Gems
Spoiler
Spark - Pierce - Spell Echo - Lightning Penetration
5L/6L: Added Lightning Damage, Added Chaos Damage, Faster Casting
Choose whichever you like best. I personally run added lightning and added chaos.

Vaal Spark - Trap - GMP - Lightning Penetration
Trivializes bosses

Herald of Thunder - Curse on Hit - (insert your curse of choice) - Reduced Mana
Makes cursing very easy

Clarity - Discipline - Reduced Mana
Aura choices should be obvious

Lightning Warp - Faster Casting - Reduced Duration

Cast when Damage Taken - Enduring Cry - Immortal Call

Bandits

Spoiler
Normal: Help Oak or kill all
Cruel: kill all
Merciless: kill all

If you have any questions feel free to ask!
Last edited by Reizoko on Dec 24, 2014, 9:17:25 PM
Last bumped on Apr 17, 2016, 11:12:42 AM
Really interesting build. Have you ever considered running a couple blood magic auras? It could allow a couple more auras to be run. Not anything heavy, just a herald, and maybe move clarity to life to run others on mana.

Also, thoughts / experiences with Zealot's Oath?

I also want to ask how you feel playing without much mitigation. Do you feel you're tanky enough with just a huge pool of effective life?
Last edited by Precaso on Dec 24, 2014, 12:15:59 PM
edit : nvm
Last edited by ZePample on Dec 24, 2014, 1:30:02 PM
"
Precaso wrote:
Really interesting build. Have you ever considered running a couple blood magic auras? It could allow a couple more auras to be run. Not anything heavy, just a herald, and maybe move clarity to life to run others on mana.

Also, thoughts / experiences with Zealot's Oath?

I also want to ask how you feel playing without much mitigation. Do you feel you're tanky enough with just a huge pool of effective life?

I have not considered running any blood magic Auras. I don't think more airas at the cost of life would benefit this build. It would just make me more vulnerable to chaos damage and I would benefit less from all the life nodes I took.

I didn't take Zealot's Oath on purpose. I only have 1% life regen, but I'd rather have it on life than on ES. It is very convenient in desecrated ground maps and against chaos damage degen in general.

I feel pretty tanky. My biggest fear is stun however. I had a near death yesterday when map Oak leaped at me (was just entering his little area) and at the same time a pack of devourers popped up. Being stunned permanently one of the few things that can kill this build, which is why I'm considering Eye of Chayula. Other than stun even the biggest hit in this game won't kill me.
I have a question...

How do you deal with prox. shield mobs? Im using this guide now, but for those, all I can do is avoid them.
I am currently running a similar build, What are your thoughts on running a scepter, and using vaal glacial hammer with your vaal spark for bosses?

Edit:
Never mind, I just realized that Pierce makes the sparks go through the walls.
( -(oo)-")
Last edited by JadoBleu on Feb 24, 2015, 11:03:40 PM
Hey..

i really like the look of this build and would love to try it out..

Is there any chance that you could update the build for 2.2 ? since when i open it in the tree planner it's filled with holes and i fairly new ?

Thanks in advance

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info