{1.3}PvP Build - LLD Searing touch fireball trapper

I'm sure that I'm not the first to think of this but there wasn't one up when I looked so I'm posting my version here.

A fairly gimmicky build that works much better in blitz/FFA events than in BO7. The goal is to trick the opponent to stand still for long enough or run over previously placed traps. Having the low ground in order to see more of the screen is critical.

Basically a standard(pretty expensive) trapper with the goal of landing a cold snap and dropping traps like it's hot. You'll want to get the lower ground to land traps from farther away and curse. You'll need to practice quite a bit and get used to using most of your mana per trap. Without mana regen on gear you will get 2/3 traps a round so make sure to gear up. Link lvl 1 arc with cull to clear traps and finish off close to death opponents. At the start of each round, I generally throw a trap somewhere to gain the move speed bonus from the trap boots to gain the lower ground(not advised vs. full rush builds).

my gear for reference

Some of the gear is not so good but the order of mods to be looking for IMO is - life > resist > mana regen > mana > fire damage.

tree
my current tree

If you have enough added strength on gear you can go up to the blood drinker cluster like this

I help oak. If I had the right gear I might kill for the extra passive into blood drinker(second tree) but I really haven't tested if that would be better.

_______Links_______

Fireball - trap - lmp - fire pen - lvl 2 empower - faster projectiles/point blank/culling strike

arc - culling strike ; For traps/finishing opponents.

cold snap - cold pen - added cold damage - lvl 2 empower

freeze pulse - lmp - cold pen - trap(if not in deerstalkers)/ lvl 2 empower

On bear trap; I don't personally use bear trap because the mana cost is way too high and my gear can't support it really. It will work well if they do not have an escape mechanism(whirling blades etc.)

You can use ZiggyD's new ring with arc or cold snap which can manage a 1 shot on tankier char's if they are cursed as well.

engagements

Always use shift(button to stand still while casting) to throw traps as close to where you want as possible.

Against melee; If you freeze with cold snap throw 2 traps on them or in front of them towards you. If it doesn't freeze throw traps on your feet or in front of you. Try to guide them over your traps as they namelock.

Against ranged; It's a tough matchup but I wouldn't go spamming traps since the mana cost is too high. Play the long game and hope they slip up. It's important to keep them cursed and try to engage when it's fresh for the extra duration it will give to a cold snap. Try to double peek corners so they stand still and attack then drop traps on their feet. Always shift casting to stand still.

Variations If you know who you're fighting you may be able to pull off super sneaky kills. Either run around the arena and drop some traps in a walk way, stacked traps IMO. Or by finding a corner and trapping the entrance. Many people will just walk into them on accident and you get a free win. Generally won't work vs. opponents who will take their time.
On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

IGN: Baacon
Last edited by 13acon on Jan 11, 2015, 9:06:51 PM
The build is very solid and not easy to play against!
LLD BOTW spark/arc caster guide http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1133731
Bump
bmp updated some stuff. I'll try to make it clearer when I have time.

bmp updated a whole bunch of things and did pretty well with this build in the most recent US HC blitz/ffa events.

Last edited by 13acon on Dec 26, 2014, 1:17:04 AM
bmp. some updates and decent results on HC, top 3 a few times. I definitely have room for improvement in my play though.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info