Layout problems with the new tree

While I found the 1.2 update to have been virtually nothing but better than the tree was in 1.1, I'm not as fond of some of the changes this time around.

Problems:
-New start areas are a bit lacking in total nodes (low 50s instead low 60s as the current witch and shadow and old marauder/duelist/templar areas had) and the new nodes are roughly as versatile as the old ones were, so in general there are less nodes to get that are relevant for the given, although the new nodes are very stat efficient (maybe too efficient in some cases). Solution might be as simple as adding a few nodes to existing clusters and lowing per node stats slightly.

-Bottom portion of Duelist start is too specialized, with four different clusters that each appeal to (generally) mutually exclusive gear configurations (2h, 1h+shield, dual wield, bow). This could easily be solved by combining shield and dual wield clusters into one larger cluster with One Handed stuff and block chance while dual wielding or holding a shield effects. This would also improve pathing to the exterior portion of his area for many builds.

-Between the Marauder and Duelist areas there is a distinct lack of generic One Handed Melee nodes, whereas you can find lots of weapon type nodes and even some Two Handed Melee nodes. A single good 1h cluster would fix this, challenge would be finding a place for it.

-Intelligence side of Templar area is devoid of Mace nodes and only has 1 cluster for Staves. The result is that its difficult to get enough Int from the tree for Templar builds focused on Scepters or Staves. One partial solution would be to move Galvanic Hammer cluster back more to where it was in 1.2.

-By the Blade is poorly positioned and if it's going to stay there NEEDS its Evasion on the notable changed to Armour. Axes and especially Swords are str/DEX weapons, while I think I know why this cluster is now where it is (combined Fell the Weak and Blade of Renown from 1.2 tree into 1 cluster that serves both purposes), its exodus from the Duelist side of the Marauder exterior has hurt the layout of that area for Sword and especially Axe builds, particularly Duelist builds for those weapons (moving Blunt Instrument over to the other side by contrast was a smart decision because Maces and Staves and str and str/int weapons).

-Cleaving/Slaughter cluster is too far from Duelist, it's right smack dab in the middle of the Marauder area and its the premier cluster for Axe wielders, it should be a little more even in it's placement between marauder and Duelist.

-Even worse than the previous cluster, the Razor's Edge/Blade Master cluster is VERY poorly places, Sword are about 50/50 str/dex unless were talking Rapiers, which are PURE dex. Why would we have a major cluster for swords all the way over in the middle of the Marauder area, this would be a better place for By the Blade or a similar cluster. Razor's Edge/Blade Master should be, if anything, slightly on the Ranger side of the Duelist area. One way to solve this would be to move Revelry over to the str node between Executioner and Champion of the Cause, and put the big Sword cluster in it's place.

I should mention that despite these problems, a lot what changed is definitely an improvement over 1.2 tree.

Last edited by Frightning_Lightning on Dec 13, 2014, 5:07:20 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info