I found an (existing) way to help 2hander melees

I love 2h melee weps I think they are cool, but one of the biggest troubles for me is mitigating elemental dmg. So I found a solution to tht.

Link up
CWDT - Descrate - Echo - Devouring totem (all lvl 20, except descreate it doesn't matter wat lvl it is)

when u take 3k dmg. ull trigger 6 corpses to spawn. Devoruing totem lvl 20 will devour all 6 corpses for 299 life each = 1794 life back, I'm just starting to lvl the devouring totem, well see how this goes.

You don't need lvl 20 gems if you feel tht makes your life too low, but imo lvl 20 is good cuz u only need it in oh crap situations anyways.

And GGG mods, plz, no changes to this mechanic :(, this is the only good thing us 2 handers got going for us.

Important EDIT: sry I type wrong, echo doesn't work with desecrate so, what actually happens is u get 3 corpses, but still you will get 897 life back out of 3.2k lost which is a big big help.
Last edited by SIQI on Nov 27, 2014, 11:29:46 PM
"
SIQI wrote:

Important EDIT: sry I type wrong, echo doesn't work with desecrate so, what actually happens is u get 3 corpses, but still you will get 897 life back out of 3.2k lost which is a big big help.

To be precise, Echo is a selfcast gem. It doesn't work on trigger gems like CwDt.

It's nice that this solution works for you, but it's just another way of life recovery, and really, there's plenty of this:
(instant) Pots, (normal and EC based) life regen, (instant) life leech, life gain on hit, rejuvenation totem...

3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
"
Peterlerock wrote:
"
SIQI wrote:

To be precise, Echo is a selfcast gem. It doesn't work on trigger gems like CwDt.

It's nice that this solution works for you, but it's just another way of life recovery, and really, there's plenty of this:
(instant) Pots, (normal and EC based) life regen, (instant) life leech, life gain on hit, rejuvenation totem...

This really. We don't need a way to recover health We need a way to not lose so damn much health because we cant block.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/913599 <--- mirror Thread
Last edited by PaladinSMD on Nov 28, 2014, 4:34:44 AM
"
PaladinSMD wrote:

This really. We don't need a way to recover health We need a way to not lose so damn much health because we cant block.

Recently regarding hard hits it was argued to be a balancing issue. You maybe heard about Bioware's decision to not implement healing spells in DA3 and the explanation was this (and this statement btw also clears up what esrb ratings are for :D). Now PoE ofc is different to DA, but also here there are many different possible ways of recovering life and I guess GGG has to balance around all these possibilities like Bioware does/did and the results often are dmg mechanics that disadvantage certain builds/weapon setups.

A way to count in all the various weapons would be to let the mobs behave different. Player uses a Twohander - Mob hits for less dmg; Player uses Shield - Mob hits harder. But this easily could result in every mob's a challenge or a cakewalk. And other problems would occur, like how should mobs behave to a party with mixed wielders? Or what about swapping weapons?
Balance by plain numbers seems to be the easiest way of defining "hard" and "easy", but it's not that easy when all possible numbers must be factored in. Sometimes this results in mobs being op for many players and sometimes it results in mobs being ridiculous easy to kill for everyone.

The question would be: How can a mob still be a challenge if not by having an insane amount of life or hitting very hard or having dozens of minions around or all of that at the same time (looking at you, Dungeon Brutus)? In the past this often was answered by puzzles, eg. mob is invulnerable until the player fulfills a certain goal. But in a H&S game like PoE such a mechanic probably would annoy more players than satisfy.
"
PaladinSMD wrote:

Oh yes. I know, I agree as well, suck that we got no block. I can leech back pretty much all the dmg I take if I get to hit stuff, the totem really comes into play in situations when I'm getting shot by things far away from me, that 897 life regain is huge for me cuz I only have 4k life, its like a health potion that gains charges on dmg taken to some extent :), try it out if you have survival problems, I think you'll find it a pretty nice bonus if you can fit it in your links.

These are my gem links
Spoiler
(gloves) Increased Duration - CWDT - IC - ENDCRY
(armor)CWDT - Faster Casting - Devouring Totem - Desecrate
(armor) FA - Leap Slam
(boots) CWDT - Tempchains - Bloodrage - Enhance
( Helm)RM - Det - Grace - End cry
(Weapon)Leap Slam - FA - Muti - BloodMagic - MeleePhys - Concentrated Aoe

The down side is can't have another single target skill, but the 6l leap slam actually works fine for me atm, I put the faster casting in there cuz it helps the totem absorb corpses faster. But with temporal chains and the totem, my survivability goes up a lot versus elemental damage mobs.

"
PaladinSMD wrote:

So wrong mate. 12% on staves!
And if you use as everybody else does lazhwar and rainbowstrides you can even get 9% spell block.

12block/9spellblock, time to facetank uber.
Statistically it should work once every 5 452 367 years, running it 19 times per hour (discarding some game time for a nap here and there!).

Still love my staff!
"
"
PaladinSMD wrote:

And if you use as everybody else does lazhwar and rainbowstrides you can even get 9% spell block.

Is this is supposed to be funny? Well, it's not.

(and you could at least take those staff block nodes for some sexy 30% block/20% spellblock)
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
"
Peterlerock wrote:
"
"
PaladinSMD wrote:

Is this is supposed to be funny? Well, it's not.

(and you could at least take those staff block nodes for some sexy 30% block/20% spellblock)

Just ironical.
And no, I'm not taking 10 physical nodes to get 30/20 on a caster... Yes melee caster, coc cyclone, before I get smashed by the nitpicking hammer.

The new tree suspense is killing me.
Last edited by Squirrel_of_doom on Nov 28, 2014, 10:38:07 AM
I posted before that making 2h wielders able to resist critical hits would go a long way to minimise the damage taken.
PoE is facing many balance issues and it's hard to change something not breaking something else at the same time.

In my opinion the biggest mistake for PoE if we talk about balance was spectral throw. Cool fun skill, but gave melee an ability to behave like a ranger. So you no longer can distinct melee from ranged by just checking one's weapon.

So you can't build defensive mechanism basing on your melee weapon. You can't do sth like "When equipped a two handed weapon you get %% super defense".

I think they really spent some time to get a solution for melee. And I'm really looking forward for expansion and they stated already that there will be some intersting mechanism for melee.

Intruducting possibilty to stack multiple powerful auras and additionally boosting them on the tree was second balancing mistake (so one auras has 250 base elemental damage LOL, just like a weapon alone). Before that, we really didn't have that much 100k+ DPS builds.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info