My Mjolner build: How can I improve single target DPS?

Build Tree

Gear
Spoiler

Method
Spoiler
Lightning strike does insane dps on a pack of mobs, but single target I think I can do better. My Strength is currently 416, and intelligence 341, so theres some room in my gear.I use three purity auras for my resists, and I plan on getting 80%+ max res. Evasion helps me with projectiles, and the body armour I am using is mainly for 5 Link. Anny suggestion for dps? My current dps is around 8k dual strike with 570% crit multiplier, 30% crit chance. while running haste Herald of Thunder and a purity. I havnt run all three purities at once lately as I prefer dps.
Last edited by noctuval on Nov 27, 2014, 10:34:09 AM
"
noctuval wrote:
Build Tree

Gear
Spoiler

Method
Spoiler
Lightning strike does insane dps on a pack of mobs, but single target I think I can do better. My Strength is currently 416, and intelligence 341, so theres some room in my gear.I use three purity auras for my resists, and I plan on getting 80%+ max res. Evasion helps me with projectiles, and the body armour I am using is mainly for 5 Link. Anny suggestion for dps? My current dps is around 8k dual strike with 570% crit multiplier, 30% crit chance. while running haste Herald of Thunder and a purity. I havnt run all three purities at once lately as I prefer dps.

1. Use Molten Strike. Absolutely nothing beats single target melee attacks. Also use GMP, this is a must-have for it.

2. Use Lightning Penetration instead of Iron Will. If you don't want to use Lightning Penetration, use another Arc. It takes 500 strength in order to get 100% increased damage, and a single Arc gem will give a 100% boost by itself. Iron Will, with exactly 412 strength, is causing you to lose out on 17.6% of your possible damage. Lightning Penetration should be used against resistant enemies, however.

3. Get a Prismatic Eclipse secondary and get all green sockets. This gives you a 36% increase to attack speed. This will greatly help DPS with Mjolner as you proc more often and thereby have more chances to get critical strikes.

4. Get rid of IAOE on your Herald of Thunder. I'm certain the increased cost is not worth the small benefit it gives. Instead run Herald of Ice. More bang for your buck that way, by far.

5. Get spell crit chance and don't try to get crit chance for weapons. You're using a mace with a very, very slow attack speed and very, very low physical damage. Mjolner is liked not because if it's normal attributes, but because hits have a chance of proccing a spell that doesn't have a cooldown. Focus on getting attack speed and spell crit chance.

6. That being said, get the two power charge nodes you're by and the 4% increased spell damage support node directly above the witch's p-charge. That's a huge boost.

7. Use the other start for Shadow. The elemental damage will help immensely.

8. You say you have three purity auras but there are only two. You either typed incorrectly or linked a wrong item. I suggest you fix that. Also, running auras has nothing to do with DPS, unless it is something like Haste or a damage aura. So more auras will help increase your DPS.
Absolutely a great amount of feedback, thank you!
1. Will do.
2. I have been testing different gem setups, I will most likely go with lightning penetration + 2 arc gems. Is quality worth it for the arc gems? Also, how do you think 3 arc gems would do?
3. Thats a great idea I will try it out.
4. Forgot that it herald of thunder costs more with IAOE! I will switch that out.
5. All my crit nodes were just crit for everything, I think I will grab the crit nodes in the spell witch spell tree.
6. That sounds good.
7. I was thinking about using the other way for the shadow, but then I'd lose those attack speeds nodes, worth it for the damage?
8. I wasnt running three at the time because I was testing some stuff out, but I have 3 purities, they are level 17 now but I plan to try and get lvl 21 gems, with alpha howl they give 5% max res each, and I might get Saffell's instead of prismatic eclipse. That will help against ele reflect mobs, and elemental damage in general.
Thanks again!
"
noctuval wrote:
Absolutely a great amount of feedback, thank you!
1. Will do.
2. I have been testing different gem setups, I will most likely go with lightning penetration + 2 arc gems. Is quality worth it for the arc gems? Also, how do you think 3 arc gems would do?
3. Thats a great idea I will try it out.
4. Forgot that it herald of thunder costs more with IAOE! I will switch that out.
5. All my crit nodes were just crit for everything, I think I will grab the crit nodes in the spell witch spell tree.
6. That sounds good.
7. I was thinking about using the other way for the shadow, but then I'd lose those attack speeds nodes, worth it for the damage?
8. I wasnt running three at the time because I was testing some stuff out, but I have 3 purities, they are level 17 now but I plan to try and get lvl 21 gems, with alpha howl they give 5% max res each, and I might get Saffell's instead of prismatic eclipse. That will help against ele reflect mobs, and elemental damage in general.
Thanks again!

2. Think of it this way. Iron Will gives 20% of strength as increased damage. An Arc gem gives 100% damage. Lightning Penetration either gives up to 35% penetration and up to 10% increased damage. Total net of about 48.5% increased damage, but this damage is more guaranteed than that of Iron Will due to how penetration works. So an Arc would add 100% of normal damage while Iron Will gives ~84% increased for the two Arcs, netting 168% increased damage. It's best to use two Arcs and one support gem.

7. Look at the difference. Right now you get 15% increased attack speed in three useful nodes, and two wasted nodes giving 27% physical damage and 12 life. The other start would give a total of 58% increased elemental damage for all five nodes. This applies to your Arcs, Herald of Thunder, and Herald of Ice, and any other elemental damage you may deal. That's a huge difference and raw damage is better than speed in this case. Also, note you have a weapon with 1.05 APS. This hurts and this is why low-life builds can take better advantage of mjolner; Blood Rage.

Okay heres my new gear setup containing what I changed
Spoiler

I also respecced into the other part of the tree like you suggested, and grabbed the crit nodes in witch. The amount of projectiles that comes from molten makes my arcs trigger usually one one click of the attack, and the arcs usually one hit a pack of mobs, and most of the time my screen shakes. I think on some rares ingle targets I wasnt doing too much damage though, I will test furthur on that.
Last edited by noctuval on Nov 28, 2014, 12:35:26 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info