[1.3.x] HeaT's Low-Life IR Crit Ball Lightning Guide

HeaT’s Shadow Low-Life Crit Ball Lightning

This is a guide for an IR-low-life-crit-casting ball lightning build. It utilizes ball lightning to apply shock and crit shocked enemies resulting in substantial damage. It is my first attempt at an ES build so I chose to experiment and play in the Rampage league. Viable in both HC and SC but I personally wouldn't recommend playing any ES build in HC ;)

The reason I opted for low life instead of CI is because Ball Lightning cannot benefit from a huge “more” multiplier from gems (such as Concentrated Effect) so I thought this would be the best way to maximize Ball Lightning’s DPS. Works well in solo and party play.

Pros and Cons
Pros

+High damage for only a 4 link setup
+Does not require Shavs
+Can run 4 auras using only Reduced mana gem and one 4% reduced mana reservation passive
+Good synergy in groups because it applies shock status to enemies and your ability to run multiple auras
+Relatively strong defensively for an ES build due to IR providing physical mitigation
+Approximately 7000 “walking around” armor and 12000 w/ properly rolled Granite
+Not socket “thirsty”

Cons

-Lacks high ES pool
-Damage on non-crit casts is underwhelming and extremely low
-Lack of Shavs will limit you to 4 link
-ES is bad in general (player bias)
-Can get interrupted combed into death

Video of Mapping - Solo

General flow/gameplay of the build and how it functions. Level 75 map. It clears 78s just as fast minus bosses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl-TuLVAy4Y

Keystone Passives Decision

Iron Reflex:
Iron Reflexes as a keystone because I did not want the squishy aspect of not being able to mitigate physical damage. Also, because I knew the build would have a relatively low ES base (due to the lack of Shavs), this option would significantly raise my effective health. Generally, if your ES pool is high, 8-9k+, you have more leniency when taking physical damage, making iron reflex less desirable/needed.

Ghost Reaver:
When taking damage there is a cool down period before your ES will recharge, Ghost Reaver basically removes this cooldown allowing you to instantly leech damage back to your ES. Effective in keeping you alive and allowing you to play aggressive.

Gear Explained

Helm - The Vertex - 2.5EX

Provides unusually high evasion (nearly 700) and high ES (over 300) for a helm slot. Defensively it synergizes well with an IR and ES build providing high armor and “life”. Offensively it provides +1 to ball lightning which is important to maximizing DPS with only a 4 link. The 50% reduced mana cost allows this build to sustain mana with a relatively low mana pool and mana regen and you will not have to worry about losing your mana from leech. The chaos res is always nice. This items utility/diversity makes it extremely powerful. BEST IN SLOT. If you cannot get a hold of one, stat prioritization is high ES and resistances.

Weapon - Divinarius - 20 Chaos – Not best in slot

Because this build relies on crit the best option is a dagger, Platinum or Golden based as it provides the highest implicit global crit strike chance of any weapon (80%). Best in slot dagger would look like:
-Implicit 80% global crit strike
-Spell damage >= 70%
-Spell crit chance >= 100%

This best in slot dagger will set you back around 5ex (varies depending on other stats – mana regen, crit multi, etc).

I was not able to buy a best in slot so I settled on a cheap alternative Divinarius (20 chaos). It has all stats that are desirable and is easier to attain. Because this build only casts one ball (non LMP/GMP) the increase AOE mod on the weapon helps extend its reach. The other mods are irrelevant.

Amulet – Self-Found

Desirable stats:
Global crit multiplier
+ES/%ES
Resistances
Spell damage/lightning damage

Rings –

Dream Fragments – (Self-found)
Low life builds have issues with being frozen when taking cold damage. Your options are to deal with it *shrug*, dodge, positioning, do not get hit, and when you do possibly die or use Dream Fragments/Wanderlust. I tried playing without either because I think both items are a waste of a slot, but it becomes increasingly dangerous at higher level maps 76+ to play without “cannot be frozen”.

Diamond Ring – 15 Chaos

Desirable Stats:
Dex/Str (depending on what you need and you will need it)
+ES (%ES if you can craft it from master)
Resistances

Boots – 5 Chaos

Desirable stats:
High ES
MS
Resistances
Str/Dex

Gloves – 3 Chaos

Desirable stats:
High ES
Resistances
Base Mana

Belt – 4 Chaos

Best in slot is Doryani’s Invitation as it provides elemental leech (synergy with ghost reaver), lightning damage, increased chance to shock (pots are constantly used in this build), elemental resistances. Will set you back about 2 EX.

Due to time constraints I didn’t shift my gear around to be able to use Doryani’s. Currently my chain belt locked in the majority of my gear because of the strength dependency.

Shield – 1EX

Note: Shield provides a significant source of ES which helps compensate for the lack of ES on your chest. However, if you did happen to acquire Shavs, I would drop the shield for another best in slot dagger.
Desirable stats:
High ES
Increased crit strike for spells
Resistances

The Chest Piece Dilemma - 2 Chaos

Because this is a low life build you will have to choose how to tackle chaos damage.

Shaves – Best in slot, however, this is extremely expensive and relatively unreasonable for most players. Because a majority of players will not have this option, it will significantly decrease your total ES pool.
+ Allows for 5-6L ball lightning
+ High ES pool
+Allows for dual wielding daggers (higher crit chance, DPS)
- Most expensive

Solaris Lorica (my current piece) – Besides chaos damage does not bypass energy shield, all the other stats are fairly useless. The biggest weakness of this chest is your inability to use a 5L ball lightning setup. Due to the nature of the chest (pure armor) the probability of rolling 5 blue sockets is highly unlikely. Keep in mind if you chose this option you will never have a 5L setup unless you use an item that has a built in socket like Thunderfists or a 2-hander like a staff. A staff is not recommended because you will lose over 200% crit chance and drop a significant chunk of ES from not holding a shield. (HC viable late game, lvl88+)
+ Least expensive
- Lowest ES Pool
- Limits you to a 4L setup

Max Chaos Resist – Max out your chaos resistance and roll the dice that you don’t get hit by huge chaos damage (possible insta-rip to Alchemist w/ powerful crits). Will allow for a 5-6L set up. Moderately expensive. (not HC viable, too dangerous)
+Allows for 5-6L ball lightning
+Highest ES pool
- High risk of ripping to heavy chaos damage
- Fairly expensive

Flasks:

Used to leech ES back and increase DPS. Great offensive and defensive option. Not required but highly suggested for Ghost Reaver synergy and general easy of play with build.

Used to deal with reflect and high incoming lightning damage.

Quick movement is always good. I opted for remove bleeding instead of extra MS. You can rip in 1 or 2 seconds to corrupting blood, therefore I recommend remove bleeding on at least two flasks.

Increased armor and flask charges on crit are probably the best rolls you can utilize.

Used for bosses, exiles, the need to crush everything. Charge Recovery best roll because the flask only holds one charge and remove bleeding is preference (but have it on at least one flask)

Gems and Links

Ball Lightning:
I prioritize increased crit damage over lightning pen because from what I observed the damage when ball lightning crits is higher than crit on using lightning pen. This is strict observation and not grounded in numbers but if you feel or know otherwise, prioritize lightning pen over crit damage. Generally, lightning pen is supposed to be superior because it is has multiplicative damage implications however, in this case I am no convinced the multiplier out-weighs the insane additive damage of Crit Damage.

(Q indicates you should attempted to max quality)

Solo – In order
Ball Lightning (Q) – Spell Echo (Q) – Increased Crit Damage (Q) – Lightning Penetration (Q) ||| – Added Chaos Damage – Increased Crit Strikes (Q) (Swap this out with Power Charge on Crit for difficult bosses)

Party Play – In order
Ball Lightning – Spell Echo – Increased Crit Damage – Power Charge on Crit ||| – Lightning Penetration – Added Chaos Damage

Herald of Ice – Herald of Thunder – Reduced Mana – Blood Magic
I used Clarity until Herald of Thunder was released. Double offensive auras, significant increase in DPS.

Discipline – Grace – Reduced Mana
Your two main defensive auras.

Vaal Discipline – Faster Casting – Increased duration – Assassin’s Mark
Assassin’s mark is self-cast and puts this build at 60% crit strike w/ max power charges (6). It is also used to generate power charges and damage in solo play. Vaal Discipline is used for sticky situations in which you take huge damage and need ES quickly. Additionally, it is used to deal with reflect because you cannot kill yourself to reflect if you have Vaal Discipline up against a reflect pack. Increased duration is self explanatory. Faster casting is preference, not necessary but I have extra sockets and it does help cast curses faster.

Vaal Discipline – Vaal Grace – Increased duration – Lightning Tendrils (lvling for testing)
Double Vaal Discipline is a huge defensive boots. Vaal Grace helps with bosses and tough exiles.

Lightning Warp - Decreased Duration - Faster Casting
This is a preference gem/setup. I use it for positioning and to create distance in dangerous situation. Good for kiting aggressive enemies into ball lightning’s travel path.

Leveling:

I leveled with life based Flameblast until lvl 70 where I made the switch entirely to ES. It was a rough switch, partly because I never played ES before but I still think it was a bit too early. Any lightning based spell would also be suitable for leveling (Arc, Tendrils, etc).

General Thoughts, Opinions, Player Bias

ES is inferior when compared to life. It is less reactive, situationally responsive, and diverse. It’s nice that you can have an insanely high ES pool such as 10,000k ES, however I feel this number is misrepresented and overall effective health is lower than, for instance, someone sitting at 5.5k life who has the option for instant heal. My least favorite build I have played due ES’ mechanic which is a limiting play style or counter to my preferred playstyle (or both). Additionally, the ball lightning skill is restrictive when compared to other skills and their effectiveness *more on this later.

Personally I would not recommend this build (Low Life ES) w/ Solaris Lorica as a HC viable build. It is much better suited for life based play. Though it is/was an interesting shits and giggles experiment in a SC league.

This build would probably work best with life + cloak of defiance + EB and such would allow you to play it in HC.

Random Ball Lightning Notes/Mechanics/DPS

-Important mechanic notes: One cast of ball lightning hits multiple times but has a 200ms cooldown between each hit, meaning it cannot hit a target more often than 1 time per 200ms regardless of your cast speed. Cast speed will increase the speed at which the ball travels. If you were to use LMP or GMP all the balls cast from one instance of a click share the 200ms cooldown on a target, they do not independently hit the target at 200ms cooldowns . For instance, if you hit a target with 3 (LMP) ball lightning balls at once, the target cannot be hit more often than 200ms from the collective bunch. Therefore, using LMP or GMP will increase Ball Lightning’s reach/AOE but not it’s DPS.

Spell Echo: The 2nd cast from spell echo does not share the 200ms cool down from the first so both balls will independently hit the target.

It’s hard to gauge actual DPS because from what I can surmise tooltip DPS isn’t actually reflective of real damage. The reason I say this is because if you increase cast speed it’s a direct correlation with an increase in DPS, however the skill should produce a higher DPS the slower it travels because it allows 1 ball to hit more often, at least that is what the assumption is.

If you guys have any questions I will answer them.

You can find me on twitch: twitch.tv/heatzgaming
You can also check out more vids on my youtube: youtube.com/heatfury

-HeaT

ps. Build was largely unaffected by the 1.3.x skill tree. Still viable, however, the crit percentages and multiplier values will be different.

youtube.com/heatfury
twitch.tv/heatzgaming
Last edited by HeaT1 on Dec 18, 2014, 4:35:30 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info