Ice Shot: "cone behind" damages main target, too?

Turns out, the explosion cone from ice shot could hit the same monster as the arrow. This is a bug, and I've now fixed it for 1.3.0, so thanks for prompting me to check that code before posting.

Currently, the explosion excludes the targeted object, not the object hit by the arrow. This means if you target one monster, and the arrow hits a different one that's closer, the explosion cone cannot hit the targeted monster, but can hit the one the arrow impacted (in addition to that one taking damage from the arrow). In 1.3.0, it will correctly exclude the object hit by the arrow, regardless of what's targeted.
"
link1313 wrote:
Don't break it's interaction with pierce!
The interaction with pierce is notably broken, and will be fixed (has been fixed locally).

"
Xendran wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Turns out, the explosion cone from ice shot could hit the same monster as the arrow. This is a bug, and I've now fixed it for 1.3.0, so thanks for prompting me to check that code before posting.

Currently, the explosion excludes the targeted object, not the object hit by the arrow. This means if you target one monster, and the arrow hits a different one that's closer, the explosion cone cannot hit the targeted monster, but can hit the one the arrow impacted (in addition to that one taking damage from the arrow). In 1.3.0, it will correctly exclude the object hit by the arrow, regardless of what's targeted.

How will this interact with Return Projectiles?
Without some other effect such as pierce, very simply. The arrow will fire out, hit one monster, and return, potentially hitting a second monster.
On both impacts, the explosion occurs.

The difference is that previously, whether or not a monster hit by the arrow could be hit by the explosion as well depended on whether you specifically targeted that monster. If you had that monster highlighted when you used the skill, it couldn't be hit by both, but otherwise it could.
Now it will not be able to hit the same monster as the arrow regardless of targeting, as was intended. That is the only change in behaviour in this case.

"
Xendran wrote:
Don't get too hasty with your fix or you're going to break it more than you fix it.
No, we aren't. If an arrow hits multiple enemies, it should not matter whether one of them was highlighted specifically when you fired it - it should hit all of them the same. Fixing that behaviour cannot break it - it is inherently a broken state, and the change only affects the broken case.

This was literally a typo in the code, where it was referencing the target_object (highlighted when firing arrow) instead of the hit_object (hit by the arrow causing the currently processed explosion).
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Nov 25, 2014, 7:13:44 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info