Noob question about classes

Hi,
installed the game yesterday...
read the guides, but still have questions.

a- does all classes have the same passive tree?
b- is there any difference between classes beside the stat distribution ?
for example: if i play templar , can i follow a strict marauder build or a strict witch build, and i will be fine except the few points in main stat?

or there are class specific considerations?

thnx
Welcome to Path of Exile MyNegation!

"
MyNegation wrote:
a- does all classes have the same passive tree?

All classes use the same skill tree but they start in different spots.

"
MyNegation wrote:

As far as I know, the only differences between classes are:
  • Starting attributes
  • Starting location in the skill tree
  • Gems received as quest rewards

"
MyNegation wrote:
for example: if i play templar , can i follow a strict marauder build or a strict witch build, and i will be fine except the few points in main stat?

You won't be able to strictly follow the build but you may be able to create a variation of the build (which may or may not be stronger).
I'd like to title my post "Noob Answer About Classes"

The classes in POE are not specifically limited to any choices and are rather starting locations on the passive tree, which is a web of nodes and bonuses. When you level up you get passive points which allow you to create a path of nodes in the passive tree. Naturally there are good nodes which take a few points to get to, and there are bad nodes which you have to get through to get to said good nodes.

Depending on your build and what you desire in your character there are favorable starting locations and in that sense 'better' classes. If you want to be a spell-caster, the witch class has an easy time getting elemental damage bonuses. If you want to be tanky the Marauder has easy access to a lot of armor and health nodes.

Before you start playing and leveling your character, I suggest taking a long second to decide exactly what you want your character to become and what nodes on the tree would help you do that. Plan out your paths and ask the community if your plan will work.
"
Jake_GGG wrote:
"
MyNegation wrote:

As far as I know, the only differences between classes are:
  • Starting attributes
  • Starting location in the skill tree
  • Gems received as quest rewards
There's also base unarmed damage.
Marauder has 2-8, Templar, Duelist, and Scion (partially strength classes) have 2-6, the non-strength classes have 2-5.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:

Marauder has 2-8, Templar, Duelist, and Scion (partially strength classes) have 2-6, the non-strength classes have 2-5.

Holy shit, I had no idea
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
So, for a facebreaker build marauder is better than anything else?
Culler-support build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1617230
Dedicated support build https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1702757
"
dulahan200 wrote:
So, for a facebreaker build marauder is better than anything else?

That depends. While Marauder may have an early advantage, all it matters how is your finished product. If the Marauder has Abyssus/BoR, Meginord's Girdle, T1 added physical damage iron rings, and T1 added physical damage amulet, then yea.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

"
Antnee wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:

Holy shit, I had no idea

This
many thanx for all the answers!
I have started also a witch and trying to follow the beginner cold witch build.

I will add another question in this thread because i don't want to spam the forum with new threads.

is there an option to see the damage numbers you do to the mobs? or the damage they do to you ( aka flying numbers? )
how can i know which attack is better except comparing the stat in "Character" display?
"
MyNegation wrote:
many thanx for all the answers!
I have started also a witch and trying to follow the beginner cold witch build.

I will add another question in this thread because i don't want to spam the forum with new threads.

is there an option to see the damage numbers you do to the mobs? or the damage they do to you ( aka flying numbers? )
how can i know which attack is better except comparing the stat in "Character" display?

There is no option for "floating combat text" in PoE. You can hover over the skill icons on your toolbar for a DPS tooltip, but these numbers can be misleading. The best way to judge, in my opinion, is simply observing which skill achieves your goal the most efficiently.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info