[1.3] IsleptWITHyourGF's SRS PoH CoD Witch guide

At the moment, there are many SRS builds out there, some even Uber-Atziri viable. So I took a shot of creating my own. Since the build is now capable of clearing 78 maps really fast, I decided to write a guide. This is the first build I've done by myself and also my first attempt at writing a guide.

Edit: Build was edited for 1.3, is still Atziri viable, even though it has been nerfed.

Builds strenghts:
-Able to fast clear end game maps
-Able to play majority of map mods
-Not very expensive (except the PoH)
-Able to kill Atziri

Builds weaknesses:
-Not able to kill Uber Atziri
-Not easy to farm regular Atziri
-Can't clear maps with no mana regen
-Spell damage on Pledge of Hands (PoH) is wasted

All began when my PoH dropped and I managed to 6L it in 80 fuses or so. I allways wanted to play a SRS build and this was when I decided that I might have the means to do so. I realise that my high roll spell dmg is completely wasted with SRS. However, 7 link and lv30 Spell Echo (SE) make PoH a decent SRS staff. It has been proven that a nice +3 to fire gems staff is more effective for SRS than PoH.

1. GEAR AND LINKS
Spoiler

1.1. It's not very easy to calculate the DPS for SRS, but MatrixFactor has made it easier with MatrixFactor's DPS Calculator for SRS.

However, I've finnaly decided to manually calculate my current DPS. There might be some mistakes in the calculation since there is many buffs and stats we need to include. If you manage to spot one, please let me know

Spoiler
2 Aura 6L Pledge of Hands
Gem setup: Spell Echo, Melee Physical Dmg, MultiStrike, Culling Strike, Melee Splash, Added Fire Dmg

First, I calculated physical damage per spirit per hit:

365,5 (base min dps + base max dps / 2 ; lv20 SRS)
*1,49 (49% more melee phys dmg ; lv20 Melee Physical Damage)
*2,34 (57% inc mPD + 10% inc mPD + 67% inc mPD; lv20 Melee Splash, q20 Melee Physical Damage, lv20 q20 Multistrike)
=
1274,35 phys dmg per spirit per hit

Second, I calculated fire damage based on phys damage:

1146,92 (50% of phys dmg is added as extra fire dmg - SRS + 40% of phys dmg is added as extra fire dmg - lv21 Added Fire Damage)
*1,15 (15% inc Fire dmg ; q20 Added Fire Damage)
=
1318,96 fire dmg per spirit per hit

While calculating ele dps, let's calculate cold damage from Hatred:

1274,35 (phys dmg)
*0,36 (lv20 Hatred)
*1,94 (40% inc effect of auras + 54% inc effect of auras ; lv21 Generosity, tree)
=
890,01 cold dmg per spirit per hit

Next, I calculated total dmg per spirit per hit

3483,32 (pDmg + fDmg + cDmg)
*2,75 (105% inc dmg + 47% inc dmg + 23% inc dmg; tree + gear + Culling Strike)
*0,64 (36% less dmg ; Multistrike)
=
6130,64 average total dmg per spirit per hit

Finally, I calculated dmg dealt to main target and dmg dealt to surrounding target per spirit per hit:

Main target : 6130,64*0,84 = 5149,74 damage per hit per spirit
Other targets : 6130,64*0,69 = 4230,14 damage per hit per spirit

Now we know how much one hit hurts.

Next, I calculated spirit's APS:

1,63 (base SRS APS)
*2,64 (20% inc minion AS from tree + 107% inc melee AS from lv20 Multistrike + 0,26 inc AS from lv21 haste (0,17*1,54 - effect of auras) + 11% inc AS from lv21 q20 Culling Strike)
=
4,30 APS

With Vaal Haste lv20 it's another 42% AS increase

1,63*3,06 = 4,99 APS

With Flesh Offering lv20, that's another 40% AS increase

1,63*3,46 = 5,64 APS

With all those calculations I can now finally get my DPS:

Main target dps: 5149,74*4,3 = 22 160,36 // 25 685,87 with Vaal Haste // 29043,50 with Flesh Offering
Other targets: 4230,14*4,3 = 18 189,60

So, if all 25 spirits are spawned: 554k DPS to main target
If all 35 spirits are spawned with Vaal Haste: 899k DPS to main target
If all 35 spirits are spawned with Vaal Haste and Flesh Offering: 1 mio DPS +

Take into account, that this does not include Vulnerability bonus. You might also want to swap Melee Splash gem for single targets.
Also note, that your max number of spawned spirits will never be the number of spirits attacking (probably 2 less attacking than spawned)

1.2. Cloak of Defiance gives you a lot of survivability, since 40% of of Damage is taken from Mana before Life. Due to Dream Fragments, Atziri's Foible and Clarity, you will have enough mana regen all the time, even if a hit empties your mana pool.

Another bonus is, that you don't have to 6L your CoD. You only need 2x3L, so you can link Hatred with generosity, as your spirits are the ones benefiting from Hatred, while Haste gives you movement speed + cast speed and movement speed + attack speed to spirits.

1.3. One of the 4-links is used for the usual survivability CWDT.

The other 4-link is consisted of AA (since your mana regen can fully support it and it gives a bit more survivability), Vaal Haste (which again helps both you and your spirits and is a very nice boost in DPS for unique monsters or general faster clearing) and Vulnerability (which i self cast for faster clearing).

The third four link holds the lightning warp gem, supported by faster casting and reduced duration. However, lightning warp here is not as fast as one would wish for, due to the increased skill effect duration nodes on the skill tree. I still keep it for easier access to some locations. Portal is a must as far as I am concerned (0,88sec portal cast speed FTW).

Lightning Warp 4-link has to be swapped for Desecrate - Flesh Offering for Atziri and 78's.

2. SKILL TREE

Spoiler
This is how my skill tree looks at lv90.
Skill tree 1.3.0. lv91

First and most important node is Eldrich Battery. It synergizes with CoD very well. Next, this build picks up many Aura and Buff effect nodes, as well as increased aoe of auras. Some other important nodes are Skill effect duration nodes (Potency of Will, Exceptional Performance), Minion Damage nodes (Gravepact, Lord of the Dead), Minion Instability and mana/mana reservation nodes.

Skill tree has been reedited for 1.3.0. and could probably be optimised further.

3. BANDITS QUEST REWARDS

Spoiler
Normal difficulty - Help Oak for +40 hp

Cruel difficulty - Help Alira for 4% cast speed or take a passive point

Merciless difficulty - Kill all for passive point

4. STATS

Defence tab with AA and Auras on

Resists are slightly overcapped, but not much. There is some evasion, armour and block chance, but most of the damage reduction comes from MoM. You also cannot be freezed due to Dream Fragments and higher movement speeds means higher mobility and better survivability.

Misc tab with AA and Auras on

5. FLASKS

Spoiler

Bleeding flasks are, as always, a must. I keep one seething divine for max insta hp boost and one Panicked Eternal for nice healing over time or instant recovery when it matters.

Flasks on 3 and 4 are situational. You might want to run certain elemental resist flask, but most of the time i just run QS flasks for better mobility.

Last flask I use is Rumi's Concoction, which is in general a nice flasks because of block, spell block and armour. You might as well run a Granite flask with +% armour.

6. MASTERS

This character easily finishes majority of the master missions. Due to it's high mobility, damage and survivability even Haku and Vagan can't do much. You can finish off Elreon's feed missions very quickly by summoning 25 spirits before starting and then simply clicking the x button (which swaps your weapon and instantly kills all spirits) and repeating that again, since the mission counts spirit souls as well.

7. ATZIRI

Blue mobs in between bosses should not give you much trouble. You are able to quickly, easily and safely clear the floors between bosses.

7.1. Double Vaal

Spoiler
Double Vaals are really easy to kill. First, spawn Desecrate in the circle in the middle of the room. Second, step inside the circle so both Vaals spawn at the same moment. Then spawn the maximum number of spirits. When both Vaals finish spawning, cast Flesh Offering and Vaal Haste and both will burn down in seconds. Usually, I don't even have the time to cast curse.
For double Vaals I recommend using one Granite flask of swiftness and one Topaz flask of removes shocked.

7.2. Guardian trio

Spoiler
The guardian trio bosses are a bit more challenging to defeat. First and most important rule is: do not let the titty-bitch be the last guard alive. Ideally, you want to kill her first, the cycloner second and the red flaming guy last. When you enter the room, spawn 3 Desecrate piles near the middle of the room. After that, spawn the max number of spirits. Run toward the female guardian and cast Flesh Offering (FO). You can either use Vaal Haste to quickly burn her down or save it for the last guardian. Sometimes, spirits still won't focus her first. If that happens, just kite the guardians around the room and spawn a few spirits every time you come near the titty-bitch. After that, it's pretty straight-forward. Kill adds, cast FO and kill other two guards while kiting them.
For guardian trio, I use 2 seething flasks of staunching (removes bleeding), two granite flasks of staunching and Rumi's flask.

7.3. Atziri

Spoiler
Atziri herself isn't too hard to defeat, with a bit of RNG luck. When you enter the boss room, first cast 3 desecrates in the middle of the room. Spawn max spirits, cast Flesh Offering and start moving towards Atziri. They should burn down the first stage fast.

The stage with adds, where she heals is easy. Just stand in the middle and spawn spirits. Leave the piles of bodies for the stage where she splits in 4.

The split stage is where you'll need that bit of RNG. When the split stage begins, cast Desecrate, stand in one of the 4 corners and spawn spirits. Just before the stage begins, cast FO. If you have bad luck, the one holding a mirror will spawn in the corner you have selected. Because of the reflect, all spirits will be one hit by the reflect, exploding and wearing Atziri down to around half hp. After that, the best thing in my experience is to select another target and wearing it down with Vaal Haste. If any other one of the 4 spawns in your corner, you'll have little problem finishig the stage. I save Vaal Haste for the split faze. You can also wear another Vaal Haste to burn down 2 of the stages quickly.
For Atziri I use 2 seething flasks of staunching, 2 Ruby flasks (with remove curses) and Rumi's.

English is not my native language so excuse me for poor vocabulary and spelling mistakes.

I hope you enjoyed the guide. Any comments and feedback will be appreciated.
You are also welcome to message me in game - my IGN is IsleptWITHyourGF

Edit 1: spelling mistakes, formatting, corrected DPS calculations (thx to MatrixFactor)
Edit 2: Skill tree optimization (also thx to MatrixFactor)
Edit 3: added Atziri instructions
Edit 4: 1.3.0 update
Edit 5: Amulet swap
Edit 6: Calculated DPS
Last edited by Krt_Ake on May 13, 2015, 8:54:45 PM
Hey. So the best way to make use of the spell damage on PoH is to invest 3 points into the shock duration cluster by Eldritch Battery. Then get a high level arc (gem level is more important than quality, 21/0 > 20/20). Then place Arc-Curse on Hit- Elemental Weakness-Elemental Proliferation. Ele prolif makes it so that if you shock one monster you shock all, that's why chance to shock isn't as important (but still nice to have).

Without spell damage on gear I was shocking mobs up to 60k HP reliably. With spell damage on PoH you should be shocking mobs up to 200k HP reliably, in other words absolutely everything including some map bosses.

Other than that I suggest you use the DPS tool from my SRS guide in my signature to determine optimal links. The DPS tool you linked may have bugs and wasn't updated for 1.2.

Also I noticed your passive tree is kind of a disaster. I changed it around to get your more %life, more % cast speed, more % mana regen, and EE. New tree. The only thing you loose is 30 dex. Since you want to shock I would drop one of the 12% cast clusters or some life for the shock duration cluster.
All my builds /view-thread/1430399

T14 'real' clearspeed challenge /1642265
Last edited by MatrixFactor on Nov 20, 2014, 7:39:44 PM
Tyvm for the feedback. I see what you mean for the skill tree. Plan was to pick up reduced mana reserved down to Charisma and %inc max mana to Thrill Killer. However, I abandoned those nodes in the process and forgot to optimise layout later. Will most definitely look into it (wohoo so many free points).

I did the new calculations and some number came out a bit off, but i think i now have the aprox. DPS value. I might try to kill Atziri before the respec again. Last time I killed the guards but failed at the stage where she splits in 4. Didn't use the flesh offering though.
Added Atziri fight guide :)
minion stats: http://goo.gl/gQxs0w
Modifiers: http://goo.gl/jGIr8b
Zombie dps calculator: http://goo.gl/XIStJV
Last edited by Galax201 on Dec 1, 2014, 8:49:56 AM
Edited for 1.3.0. (kinda)
Today I realised that I don't require to wear Atziri's Foible to keep my lv21 AA running or spam spirits, so I swapped it for a Sidhebreath corrupted to % minion dmg. I might swap this ammy again, if I find the right one (high HP, str/dex, cast speed + % minion dmg corruption).
I have finally added the calculation for the build. I hope they are correct and make sense. If not, please let me know!
Nice guide I wouldnt worry about DPS matrix factors own guide says they are very close. So close you have to wonder if more minion nodes you can take instead of mana dont balance out.

His calculation assume same tree.

"
6L Pledge of Hands:
DPS = 996684
NSpirit = 29.0597
Dmg = 5753.39
APS = 8.27962
MD, MPD, MS, MSp, Emp

6L +3 Fire with 0% Cast:
DPS = 1209490
NSpirit = 27.4362
Dmg = 7394.92
APS = 8.27962
SE, MS, MPD, Msp, Emp
Prolly not but you can use that staff in hundreds of other builds too. Anyway like your guide. Ill definity take tips from it considering I have a poh.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on May 13, 2015, 9:12:36 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info