How many Alt you use on your bow?

ilvl80 - my goal is to make around 150-180% increase phy damage and a decent flat phy damage or anything that is not res/attributes.

Around 1200-1400 Alt and the best increase phy damage I got was 127% (the one without accuracy) and 30% crit chance which is in my first 300 try...

After that, I only gone above 100% phy damage 2 times (was thinking to kept them but they have small res/attributes)...

Just wondering how many Alt you guys used to roll a good bow.

I start to think I should just save up all the ex and go buy one...but then I think it would be easier to roll it myself...

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1119850
Selling Crit Bow ilvl 68-75 (Mostly White)
Last edited by Exorcist901 on Nov 18, 2014, 6:44:57 PM
I've crafted about 5 bows that I eventually went on to sell for 30 - 80 EX a piece. In all of those bows, not one of them had the "Tyrannical" mod of 150-169% physical damage. It's far easier to roll "flaring" which is just the flat physical damage roll. Those aren't actually that hard to get. So don't get your hopes up for a 150%+ phys roll, they are quite rare. But in the end with master crafting, it really doesn't matter. A bow with T1 flat phys can be nearly as good as a bow with T1 physical damage %.

my latest: ~ 1200 ALTS + 7 Regal/scouring

so...i should just stick with it if they go above 100% and with a decent flat phy and then master crafted and then sell it?

I base it on final DPS whether they are sellable or not. I don't even bother adding the 2+ EX to master craft bows unless they will have at least 330 DPS with 8.5 crit or higher, and ideally you'd want them to have 350 or higher. So many people craft bows these days that unless it's over 350 with crit, it's really hard to sell it without dropping your price a lot to beat out all the other thousands of bows out there being sold in that same DPS range.

Over 370 you start to have value.
i think mine was around 3 exalts worth of Alts.

IGN: DabrixRN
another 800Alt passed...still nothing...

Note: Did they lower the roll chance again? as today alone almost 500Alt and none of it gone above 60% phy damage...
The important question is: what tier of bow do you intend to roll? By tier i mean whether you want a decent bow, an excellent bow, a gg bow or a mirror worthy bow.
Another thing i noticed from your post is that you seem to focus on the exact numerical value of the %increased physical damage which is very ineffective. The highest possible tier of pure damage scaling is Tyrannical with 150-169% increased damage and the second highest is Cruel with 130-149%; what tier you roll is literally shown in the item name for magic items btw.. 180% isn't possible to get on a blue item since it would require two prefixes but magic items are limited to one prefix plus one suffix.

If you are fine with having 'just' an excellent bow, i can recommend using the budget master crafting approach that i and several other players have described many times in different threads in this section of the forum. You won't get anything mirror worthy but still more than strong enough for any endgame content.

1. get a ilvl 72+ or better 79+ Harbinger Bow
2. roll it with alterations until you get either a) 1-2 very good stats or b) a mid tier flat physical roll
3. a) proceed with 4., b) use the Granite Flask recipe* to increase the flat phys roll to Tempered
4. Regal the item. If you get a good stat (best high tier flat phys, phys scaling or crit chance) proceed with 5., otherwise use a Scouring and start over
5. use the Elreon multi mod crafting option (or pay someone to do it for you)
6. add the still missing mods of this list: flat physical damage, physical damage scaling, hybrid damage scaling/accuracy, attack speed, crit chance

*Granite Flask recipe: sell the following to vendor
weapon (white, blue or yellow) + Granite Flask + Orb of Augmentation =
=> blue weapon with lowest tier flat physical damage and no other mods.
If the weapon already has a flat phys mod, this will still remove any other stats but increase the flat phys by one tier up to Tempered (T2)

I used this exact approach to craft my bow in Rampage and it cost me a total of about:
150 Alterations, 50 Augmentations, 10-15 Scourings + Regals + Granite Flasks, ~15 Chaos and 2 Exalteds to craft this nice bow from a 6s, ilvl 72 Harbinger Bow i found:

It's not exactly mirror worthy but 405 pDPS at 8.6% critchance proved to be more than enough for any endgame content. I was lucky getting a high Cruel roll from the regal but this method will easily produce a 320-420 pDPS bow with >8.5% critchance for about 5-10ex worth of currency/items invested.
People will still try to sell you a bow like this for 5-10 times the production cost and i am not exactly sure what ticks me off more, the greed of the sellers or the stupidity of the buyers.
11.02.2013 - 11.02.2017: four year PoE anniversary!
Last edited by vargorn on Nov 25, 2014, 8:03:22 AM
I recently crafted 2 bows. Out of 10-15 exalts worth of alterations I got flaring 6 times and tyrannical twice. Another 5 exalts worth of regal orbs and I now have:

It was fun crafting but kinda disappointing that the end results arent a bit better. Lots of troll alts which gave me flaring with +2 mana gained on kill or incision with 2-4 flat phys.
IGN: Inshiterate
So this is art? Awful lousy way to make coin

Latest attempted. Think I will just stop here and use Master's crafted...

Multi-Craft and phy damage are out of the question and the sixth mod will be phy + acc.

So it leave me one mod to craft. Attack Speed will be the best option?

Just wondering how much can I sell for the 5L?(after the crafted that I mentioned above.)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info