Uncertain build.

Hello comunity.

I'm new to the game, and I'm loving it.

Props to the devs already!

I already understand some things about game mechanics and I'm like a complete n00b when it comes to some the PST and item variants (mostly greatly about the PST).
I started as a Duelist for my "solo" char.
But now I'm playing with a party and my aim is to be only a spell caster, tanky but a caster.
And I would like to turn this char (The Templar) into my main, because my gaming time is short.

And I've searched here in the forums for some guides for my Templar caster and 2 of them seem to be the most voted/commented.

Here they are:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/997183

or

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/793318

I heard fire didnt had much potential. Ice is the best defensive one. And shock has the highest damage.
So both guides made me confuse about being fire damage, but I'm a n00b yet.
Regarding elemental damage, which one should I aim for?

Which one of those would you recommend?
Or they both suck and there are better ones?

Is there any info missing here regarding this subject?

Many thanks in advance.
Last edited by FightMen75 on Nov 17, 2014, 12:15:14 AM
Aside from cold damage being defensive (yay permafreeze), what you heard regarding the different elements is wrong.

Fire has the highest average damage, and some of the most powerful spells available. In addition, the combination of a high damage ignite and the elemental proliferation support gem results in some of the fastest clearing builds in the game.

What is most appealing about lightning is the "shock" status affect which causes enemies to take 50% more damage from all sources. You can make almost any lightning spell strong endgame, but the one that comes to mind for most people is arc. Other abilities are either more difficult to utilize, or have greater disadvantages.

In regards to your choice of guides, it is mostly a playstyle preference. I prefer tankier builds so I would personally go for the first guide. However, since you stated that you would be playing in a party, the second guide would likely be your best bet.

Good luck.
My builds: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1629242
"
Seinfire wrote:
Aside from cold damage being defensive (yay permafreeze), what you heard regarding the different elements is wrong.

Fire has the highest average damage, and some of the most powerful spells available. In addition, the combination of a high damage ignite and the elemental proliferation support gem results in some of the fastest clearing builds in the game.

What is most appealing about lightning is the "shock" status affect which causes enemies to take 50% more damage from all sources. You can make almost any lightning spell strong endgame, but the one that comes to mind for most people is arc. Other abilities are either more difficult to utilize, or have greater disadvantages.

In regards to your choice of guides, it is mostly a playstyle preference. I prefer tankier builds so I would personally go for the first guide. However, since you stated that you would be playing in a party, the second guide would likely be your best bet.

Good luck.

So what would be the best all round spell?
Offensively and defensively?
Im asking because I want something good for wave clear and to have some fun in both solo and team PvP with some damagez.

I'm probably going towards the 1st guide too, because I too like to be tanky.
And in the party that im playing we are six: one marauder (full tank), one duelist (tanky/DPS), one templar (im thinking about being a tanky/caster), one ranger (squishy/DPS) one shadow (squishy/DPS) and one witch (squishy/dps)

Guidewise, are those two good?
Many abilities can be made tanky with the right supports (for example knockback/blind).

Of course this means you lose out on the DPS and possibly clear speed since adding those supports costs sockets.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info