Vroom Vroom Pop Pop - (Shield Charge Cast on Melee kill Discharger)

ABOUT THIS BUILD

This build spawned out of a desire to take a lot of items that I had sitting around that weren't selling, and make the most absurd build possible with them. it turns out that it was a lot of fun to play, and I figured I would share the build with the community!

The concept was pretty simple: make a shield charge build that used Cast on melee kill in conjunction with discharge to zoom around the map and blow everything up. This build utilizes a couple of tricks to accomplish this which will be explained in the "how to play this build" section.

HOW TO PLAY THIS BUILD

GENERATING POWER CHARGES

I used a combination of Resolute technique + Romira's Banquet. Romira's makes it so every hit generates a power charge, and Resolute technique makes it so the power charges can't be cleared by crits, meaning that there will always be power charges available to be discharged.
After getting a 5 link, I added Endurance Charge on melee Stun, which helped with generating more charges, making the discharge even more powerful.

DOING DAMAGE

Because this build is inherently focused on the damage dealt by discharge, I decided to focus on making my shield charge maximize elemental damage to get the melee kills. To accomplish this I run Hatred, and all three heralds. While this doesn't leave much unreserved mana, one of the nice things about shield charge is it's low mana cost. I also use a Doryanai's Catalyst is the perfect weapon for this build, as it utilizes both the high physical DPS of the weapon, as well as the high increased elemental damage. When all is said and done, the vast majority of my shield charges damage is elemental damage.

When there are no mobs to AoE kill, single target DPS is accomplished by using Heavy Strike with Mulitstrike, Melee Physical Damage, and Weapon Elemental Damage linked to it.

SURVIVABILITY

This build uses Aegis Aurora and Iron Reflexes as it's main method of surviving. Items such as the vertex are used to give a decent sized ES pool. You can easily tailor the build to not need an aegis, and instead focus purely on stacking HP rather than going the route of the hybrid like I did.

LEVELING

When leveling, until you have a way of consistently generating power charges, I suggest using arc instead of discharge being linked to your cast on melee kill. Other than that,

MISCELLANEOUS THINGS WORTHY OF MENTION

-Because of the high number of unique items used by this build, getting the necessary resists can be a bit tricky. if your non unique items aren't giving you enough resistances, then I'd suggest dropping the vertex until you have the necessary resistances from your other slots.

-This build takes the +30 intelligence nodes because unless you get some crazy rolls on a necklace/ring, I'm pretty sure it's impossible to get enough intelligence without taking those nodes.

-This build can probably be hardcore viable, assuming you have the proper gear ready to go for it. My first death was at around level 75, and that was to me simply playing poorly.

-Because of the low single target DPS when there aren't mobs around to get killed by splash/discharge, this build will probably have a very hard time doing atziri. I haven't tested this though.

-If you intend to play in groups mostly, I'd suggest using a culling strike gem, otherwise it can be very hard to get the killing blow on mobs.

GEAR AND GEMS

CURRENT GEAR

GEMS

SHIELD CHARGE
4 LINK: Shield Charge > Cast on Melee Kill > Discharge > Melee Splash
5 LINK: Shield Charge > Cast on Melee Kill > Discharge > Melee Splash > Endurance Charge On Melee Stun
6 LINK: Shield Charge > Cast on Melee Kill > Discharge > Melee Splash > Endurance Charge On Melee Stun > Weapon Elemental Damage

Heavy Strike

4 LINK: Heavy Strike > Multistrike > Melee Physical Damage > Weapon Elemental Damage

ITEMIZING FOR THIS BUILD

HELM:
The vertex is best in slot. Otherwise get a high ES+Armor or ES+Evasion helm.

CHEST
If you are willing to spend absurd amounts of chromes to get a properly colored Carcass Jack, do that, because it's awesome. for everyone else, BiS is the highest armor chest piece you can get. this piece should have resists on it. I currently am using a belly of the beast, but that it by no means required for this build.

GLOVES
This slot is mainly used to get more resists and armor.

BOOTS
Use Rainbowstrides or Atziri's Steps, main goal with this slot is providing mitigation to spell damage. if you can't afford either of these items, focus on movement speed, and resists.

BELT
Ideally this should be the lightning version of Doryani's Invitation, which allows you to shock things during flask effects, which in turn means you can actually use the second half of Herald of Thunder. If you can'y afford this, then focus on maximizing resistances and life.

WEAPON
Doryani's Catalyst is best in slot. Otherwise get the highest damage mace you can.

SHIELD
Aegis Aurora is best in slot. Otherwise get a high armor/block chance shield.

NECKLACE
you should be itemizing for intelligence, life, and resistances. After that take what ever damage rolls you can get.

RINGS
One ring needs to be a Romira's Banquet. The other should be itemizing for life and resistances.

I had an unreasonable amount of fun theorycrafting and leveling this build. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns about this build, please ask and I'll do my best to respond in a timely matter.

Enjoy!
Torment Shop:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1133076/
Last edited by Cautex on Nov 11, 2014, 4:07:38 AM
Reserved
Torment Shop:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1133076/
I love it.!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info