[1.2] TDV's Life/Eva Tri-Lvl 23 Purities MJOLNER Build

Hey all, it’s TheDarkValar here, and I want to share my Thunder God build with you. As a life/evasion based build, it’s a bit different than the low-life and life/block focused Thors out there. This is also my first published guide on the forums so any constructive feedback would be appreciated, hope you enjoy :) !

Build Philosophies

I want to fit as much damage as possible onto my Mjolner while being as tanky as possible. But I also don’t want to have to go overboard and grind for a Shavs or Voll’s Devotion.

Solution: Grab all the elemental and lightning nodes that we can to do enormous Arc + Discharge damage. Then, stack up to 100% lightning resistance on flask to completely negate reflect. Next, combine our obnoxiously high lightning res with the Lightning Coil for a huge boost in EHP. Another big component of our defenses will be our pool of Evasion via gear, the Grace aura, and layering this avoidance with the Acrobatics and Ondar’s Guile keystones as well.

Me and a couple friends

LVL 90 Passive Tree
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYABbUHHgx9DkgOXA-rEH8RDxGWE54UsBa_Fy8Ziho4Go8dFCP2JpUn7S9vMHw2PTbpOlg8LUGHRXxFfklRTC1Ms02SUDBRR1M1VUtVxlXWWfNd8mHiYqxk52aeavpsFmyMcLtyqXzZfjN-r38rf8aApIIegseD24cZiEKMNo0ZjX2Nv49GkFWVLpeXm6GbtZ2qpJGnhKyYrKq0OLTFtz7AGsHFwuzEFcT2xp7GrtQj1orYvdkT2V_bXt2M4BLjauOE5RnsGPDV9tr31_no-tL7Cfv1_Ev-Cg==

Synopsis

Pros
 Huge amounts of cow-pow damages via arc and discharge
 Every explosion brings you closer to nirvana
 Acro/Ondars/Grace combination lets you avoid so much
 Lightning Coil + 100% light res on flask = 40% physical damage thrown out the window
 Using Alpha’s Howl makes you strong and respected – and lets us have all three purities (up to Lvl 23), grace, and Herald of Thunder
 Ice Nova boxes…those exist? Elemental damage exists?
 Uber Atiziri Viable?! - Still have to find Hope to test this out

Cons
 Thor-plosions can hurt your eyes and destroy your CPU/GPU
 Not as much damage as Thors with Voll’s Ammy or Pain Attunement
 Susceptible to physical spells – this means have to be really careful around rogues with EK totems, angry EK spider, and that Academy boss…dafuq.
 Uses a lot of uniques – only 4 slots to get our stats from

Keystones

Resolute Technique – gives us the ability to stack power charges via Romira’s Banquet but erases our crit

Acrobatics – 30% dodge chance layered with evasion lets us avoid a lot of damage

Ondar’s Guile – Doubles our chance to evade projectiles and when put together with the Grace aura and Acro, ranged attackers hardly hit us at all.

Life

175% increased life from tree + Constitution and Oak give us +60 max life, and coupled with some decent rare boots, gloves, one ring, and ammy with around 50-60 life each, we easily get 4000 life at level 80. Past that we get very close to 5K.

Life + Res on Flask

Spells

Arc – Good damage and gives a nice chance to shock which boosts DPS substantially.

Discharge- this is where our DPS really comes from. Proc this a lot with your attacks and the screen will shake.

Lightning Penetration - Combine the above two spells with lightning pen. in your Mjolner for massive damages.

Attacks

We need to hit enemies with our attacks in order to proc the spells inside Mjolner to be casted.The more hits we can get in in a short time, the more spell procs we get. This logic leads to the following three preferred attack methods:

Cyclone – I preferred this attack for a while since I love feeling like I’m on the move and hitting your quicksilver flask while wearing 30MS boots and using cyclone makes for a nice adrenaline rush. Lightning Strike surely has more DPS as it procs more discharges from the number of hits, but our damage is already insane so cyclone isn’t that bad. 4L Setup would be Cyclone – Faster attacks – Blood Magic – Life gain on hit (might not even be necessary later on). In a 5L potentially replace LGOH with curse on hit then add ele weakness, then conductivity in a 6L.

Lightning Strike – Very good option that can proc many spell casts due to Mjolner’s chain one additional time property to lightning abilities. 5L: LS – GMP – Multistrike – Faster Attacks – Blood Magic. A 6L could have Molten strike added for convenience.

Molten Strike – Excellent for single target DPS. 5L: MS – GMP – Multi – Faster Attacks- Blood Magic. 6L: add Lightning Strike.

How to Gear our Mjolner Spec

Itemization

Mjolner (BBB) – self explanatory, what the build revolves around. Stick your lightning spells in it and go boom-boom!

Alpha’s Howl (RRGB) – This wolf pelt will be your salvation. Gives us the ability to achieve +5 max res all from using Lvl 21 Fire, Lightning, and Ice purity auras thanks to Alpha’s +2 to aura gem level property. Additionally, the reduction in mana reservation combined with all of our aura nodes allow utilization of Grace and we can even squeeze in Herald of Thunder. If that wasn’t enough, we can no longer be frozen (strongbox-yolo mode enabled) and are given a boost to cold res and evasion.

Saffell’s Frame – Very useful shield that gives us some spell damage and raises our max res by 4. Exactly what we need to increase damage and negate reflect.

Romira’s Banquet – Required to enable our explosions. We never crit due to Resolute Technique, so we’re always gaining power charges that will then explode in our discharge.

Lightning Coil – The key to making us super-tanky. Thanks to sitting at 87% light res without flask and 100% light res on flask, we can negate huge physical damages with this chest. You can make due with a 4L coil initially (RRGG) and run a cyclone setup.

Doryani’s Invitation (Lightning) – Lightning damage boost, lightning leech, strength, resists. Chance to shock doesn’t hurt either as we’ll be constantly flasking.

Using these 6 uniques leaves us with the amulet, one ring, boots, and gloves slots to fill with rares. Prioritize enough strength/intelligence for Mjolner and a little dex for Coil then life and whatever resists to balance out to ideally 87 light, fire, and ice. Keep in mind with lvl 23 purities and increased aura effect from the tree, you’ll get 42 * 1.62 = 68 res all. Having level 22 purities is fine, you’ll just have 66 res all instead and 85 max res (86 fire due to Barbarism).

Current Gear

Note: This is the gear and links I'm currently doing Atziri runs on.

Flask Setup

Very flexible. I mostly used:

Alternatively, switch in a couple more Topaz flasks to increase your physical damage reduction from Coil and to have more drinks for those reflect mob encounters.

Leveling

To level, I would do whatever you think is fun until level 60, then get some cheap gear that adds a ton of strength and intelligence. Put Discharge/Arc in your Mjolner and fit Romira’s onto a finger, then cyclone/lightning strike around until you get those late game levels.

Bandits: Oak-Kraityn-Oak for the Endurance charge (helps with Atziri runs) or Kill all.

Videos
Build Overview and Normal Atziri Run:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5NYIrNgInw
Last edited by TheDarkValar on Nov 11, 2014, 8:15:28 PM
Atziri run and build overview added in "videos" section!
I found mjolner last night and was looking for a life/discharge build.

This looks awsome.

Have you had a go at uber yet?
"
khaso wrote:
I found mjolner last night and was looking for a life/discharge build.

This looks awsome.

Have you had a go at uber yet?

Thanks!

Yes I have, wasn't successful because of dying to trash needlessly. It's viable though - made it through 3rd atziri split then got hit by a flameblast without ruby flask up :(
Last edited by TheDarkValar on Nov 13, 2014, 2:48:07 PM
Sweet, I am leveling a shadow. Ill let you know how it goes.

Are there currently any pending changes to the build?

"
khaso wrote:
Sweet, I am leveling a shadow. Ill let you know how it goes.

Are there currently any pending changes to the build?

Great!

No changes at the moment, I know where I want to go with the build skill wise until 94 though - go to Phase Acro. Should help with physical spells some.
I was looking at getting Voll's Devotion. It is good resses, good stats and the endurance charges should add nice damage.

Any thaughts?
"
khaso wrote:
I was looking at getting Voll's Devotion. It is good resses, good stats and the endurance charges should add nice damage.

Any thaughts?

Yeah, definitely if you can afford one, it will be beast. I haven't bothered because 1) broke at the moment, 2) know I already have ton of damage.

Might have to switch to a deshret's/meginord's vise to get enough strength at that point though.
Made it to lvl 60. Struggled a bit with stats required to equip the hammer. But once that was sorted, it was a lot of fun!

My gear is mostly crap. But it works none the less.

Spoiler

Last edited by khaso on Nov 19, 2014, 5:30:00 AM
If I may add a bit of input from my early experience. It would be to get a bit more stats from the passive tree.

If Ondurs Guile is omitted the tree could look something like this:
Spoiler
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgYABbUHHgx9DkgOXA-rEH8RDxGWE54UsBa_Fy8Ziho4Go8dFCaVJ-0vbzY9Nuk6WDwtQYdFfEV-SVFMLUyzUDBTNVVLVcZV1lnzXfJh4mKsZOdmnmr6bBZsjHC7cql82X4zfq9_xoCkgh6Cx4PbhxmIQow2jRmPRpBVlS6Xl5uhm7WdqqSRp4SsmKyqtDi0xbc-wBrBxcLsxBXE9saexq7UI9i92RPZX9te3YzgEuNq44TlGewY8NX22vfX-ej60vsJ-_X8S_4KOuHyRaZXTeMnqesU6NbN6g==

It is 30 more int, 60 more strenght, 30 less dex, and the same amount of health.

That would leave better room for good items in the remaining slots.

What do you think?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info