Just came back to PoE after a long break, and oh boy do I love the writing of Forsaken Masters

Just wanted to show a bit of appreciation for what the devs have done with the game over the last couple months.

As per the usual, the writing, story and voice acting of this game has baffled me once again (Not to mention the actual gameplay content, which is amazing and varied to say the least): The story of Forsaken Masters is nothing short of awesome.

I have only just earned level 3 with a master, Haku, for the first time (So I haven't even experienced half of the story of this expansion), and he is by far my favourite. Not only did they use him as an opportunity to make more lore for the Karui, they also went about his dialogue lines excellently; he is incredibly immersive and really encourages role-playing.

What sealed the deal for me in regards to the expansions story and RP was when I got my hideout from Haku. He tells you that Kaom, the Karui king from a few centuries ago, tried to found a kingdom of the Karui way in Wraeclast, but failed. "Perhaps it is time for a new kingdom to arise?" he asks.

This sentence blew my mind: Wait a minute, you will not just give me a hideout with some generic "We must have a place to stay" line, you're going to make me the king (Or queen, I play Scion) of a Karui Kingdom reborn!? That's bloody awesome!

And if that wasn't enough, they went even further: Haku's hideout options include exiles, male and female, some even holding babies in their arms, in order to solidify the idea of an Exile kingdom of the Karui Way!

This is seriously the most immersion-friendly and role-play promoting addition I have seen in a single-player RPG -to date-. I have never experienced a game, let alone a game of PoE's genre, do so much to let the player create his or her own unique story for themselves, independent of the game's own story.

And that is just Haku! I haven't even interacted much with many of the others yet (The few I've met are equally interesting).

Tukohama bless the devs of this game. Good Guy Grinding Gear Games!
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I can't avoid to agree. The lore is there, and it's awesome. I fucking like the teasers about the nature of Wraeclast, the Nightmare and the Corruption.

And the Masters are truly unique, interesting characters on their own.

Minor complaint: at this rate (I have level 6 masters) seems like the lasts bits are unlocked at level 8. That's a bad idea. It blocks those tidbits for less dedicated players with no reason.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
I like Elreon's voice actor the best which is a good thing as he tends to be the most valuable master anyway. He seems to have an interesting take on things, he's almost like an agnostic that decided to believe in God anyway because that's just the type of exile he is. Plus he really seems to enjoy things!

At first I didn't like Vorici but he kind of grew on me. He has some great metaphors for visualizing things that I would not normally have thought of in that way. There's a thoroughness to his character that the other masters only superficially mimic.

But it's not all roses-- I think Tora and Zana were botched. Tora is like an identical copy of the Ranger and doesn't seem to give us any additional insight into anything, while the only points Zana wins are for sounding the most dissimilar compared to the player character's exile. I presume all the masters use the same voice actor as the exile, but her and Catarina make me question the presumption. Elreon and Vagan also do a good job of sounding like different people.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info