Shrines

Let's get right to the point.

Shrines. They suck. They're largely unrewarding and just obnoxious. I'd rather they weren't even in the game. They're not even that interesting. Occasionally I'll get the one that makes me Divine for 1 minute, and that's mildly satisfying I suppose...

To be honest, I also don't like how every buff is always one minute long. So many things in this game are a dice roll; why can't the length of time that shrines last also be a dice roll? Maybe the effect lasts 15 seconds. Maybe it lasts 1 minute. Maybe it lasts 3 minutes. Maybe all players in the party get the shrine's ability, and maybe not. Perhaps that's rolled too. Maybe every mob in the entire zone gets the buff instead of you sometimes. See... now it's slightly more interesting.

Perhaps shrines could have more interesting effects rather than an uninteresting generic buff. What if some shrines were actually just traps that spawned horrifying mobs above the zone's level. While this would perhaps be a rare occurrence, at least there's a bit of risk to it. Risk = excitement. That's why Vaal Orbs are so much fun. Maybe the shrine spawns a random master into the zone somewhere, or introduces some rogue exile(s). Maybe it increases the rarity of items found by some amount for the duration of the instance's lifespan.

I could go on and on. My point is, shrines are kind of boring and I'd like to see some more creativity in them. Just once, I'd like to see a shrine and be excited about it. I'd like to think that such an entity in this game can possibly increase the difficulty (maybe even significantly) of a zone rather than always attempt to decrease the difficulty of a zone. That would be truly exciting.

Thank you for reading
-Ahz
Last edited by Ahzmund on Oct 29, 2014, 8:33:27 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Perhaps shrines could have affixes/mods? "Grants to all party members", "50-200% increased duration" could be examples of mods.

But shrines that make you crit or echo are pretty fun... as is acceleration.
Shrines are to me:
*extra monsters to kill
*they better be diamond/divine, or I don't even click them. ;)

They are kind of useless, but they are also not really harmful.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
"
Perhaps shrines could have affixes/mods? "Grants to all party members", "50-200% increased duration" could be examples of mods.

But shrines that make you crit or echo are pretty fun... as is acceleration.

Thank you for your comments. I agree. There's no reason why a shrine can't have a mod.

"
Peterlerock wrote:
Shrines are to me:
*extra monsters to kill
*they better be diamond/divine, or I don't even click them. ;)

They are kind of useless, but they are also not really harmful.

Good point, yes. They aren't harmful. As it stands, Shrines aren't necessarily hurting anyone, so there's no rush to fix this problem. I do like that there are extra monsters to kill, but that's such an unintentional way to be excited over a shrine. It speaks nothing of GGG's creativity.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info