Crackmonster's Extremely Tanky Hybrid Aegis Headhunter Arc-Mjölner Herald of Thunderer

old post hidden
Hello everyone,

I proudly present my upcoming creation that i am leveling right now and should hopefully work out fully as intended. As always, i go for power and style on all my builds, and this should be among my coolest yet, I hope. It is also a very expensive build.

I have always been one to create extremely dpsy builds, and builds generally weak on defenses for max power. This time i did the opposite, tired of dying on glass cannons. This character has exactly 0 passive points allocated for dps. How then will i ever manage to do any damage? The answer is Resolute Technique Mjölner Double Arc Iron Will, in conjuction with doublecursing Herald of Thunder with Elemental Weakness and Conductivity, which yields a total of 34% shock chance to keep herald rolling.

I've gathered some gear which i will equip at level 71:

I've also made some calculations based on this gear to reveal the defensive stats, with an assumed level of around 90. My gear above has one weakness, chaos resistance, which will be my next target when i get some currency again, ideally chaos resist on gloves and 2 rings will yield up to 42% Chaos resist. I've also shown HP and Life in more or less fully BiS ES/life gear and Level 100.

Life: 2900 (3625 BiS)
Energy Shield: 4500 (5375 BiS)
Life + Energy Shield: 7400 (9000 BiS)
Armour: 25000
Block Replenishes ES by: 1000 (1450 with Rumi's Concoction)
Block Chance: 75%
Spell Block Chance: 56.25% (75% with Rumi's Concoction)

Lightning Resistance: 75%
Cold Resistance: 80%
Fire Resistance: 86%

Cannot be Stunned
Cannot be Frozen

The level 100 guideline build(link)
--

What exactly makes this build different you might ask. The simple difference is i have fully invested into defensive power and auras, as well as i have optimized Aegis power far greater than other builds i came across. Frankly, i didn't find many good aegis builds at all, but the last one that i did see in this forum, the great level 100 tank one, had probably less than 1/3 the power of the aegis from this build. I also run Purity of Fire because fire is by far the most dangerous element out there.

Also, this build will use Thor's Hammer, Mjölner, to proc Arc all over the place, and rain thunderbolts from the sky with Herald of thunder, while harvesting rare affixes with headhunter, growing enormous in size and speed at times.

Let us look into how aegis is so heavily optimized in this build. First, i have all aura points and i am using determination as well as Grace. That alone gives me up to 16700 armour. I will heal 1k es every time i block, that will render any and all fights with monsters hitting less than 800 per hit through my heavy defenses complete unable to practically harm me, even if i go afk.

Just a small comparison to the Aegis boss tank build to show how much emphasis is on my aegis in this build, is that he has roughly 7000 armour, leading to around 280 energy shield replenished per block. I replenish almost 4 times as much with my aegis, but lack his life steal heal over time. To utilize aegis well you need a large energy shield pool. The pool needs to be large enough to sustain a streaks of big hits before you successfully block, so that you can heal it all up. If i had 1k ES, any two big hits or more in a row would start eating at my life, the life of this build relies on potions and passive regen, so i need enough ES that i should almost never dip into it, and in any case you need a big ES pool to optimize Aegis.

I also did some damage calculations. For single target if we assume molten strike hits 3 times(initial + 2 out of 6 balls, it will do 19k single target before considering shocks or the two -minus resist curses. If we assume probably more realistically that 3 of the 6 will hit, it will be 25.5k before curses and shocks, and so forth. It also does not take into account that arc may chain back from other monsters. Aoe will be a complete joke with lightning strike proccing things all over.

Okay, that was just my little introduction. If things turn out well i'll post a video sometime from my mid 80's to showcase the build.

PS: If herald of thunder turns out to be a fail, i can simply swap to Tempest shield for guaranteed curses on anything attacking me, and save 3 passive points in the process, becoming a bit slower killing on trash, but gaining power on bosses. I might even swap conductivity for maxed enfeeble instead for ultimate survival.

So yea, i've closed this one down now, opened a new here:

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1107435
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Nov 18, 2014, 4:53:15 PM
It's interesting... but to maximize headhunter you need a build that kinda clears fast both bosses and trash. that's my worry with this char, that the dps won't be fast enough. How's it going so far?
Right now i am 62, and i've just equipped mjölner. Anything aoe is absolutely destroyed, and i've yet to equip curses and most items, but i still haven't linked my single target attack in lack of levels for my gems, so the single target is lacking behind until then.

I'm definitely not going to maximize headhunter uptime, doing that equals maximizing dps, and this is a tank so that won't be possible, but i just love headhunter and the stats from it are golden. There won't be another item that will come anywhere near that, and i often have 2-3 headhunter buffs going as i'm clearing.

The slowest point for this build is clearing bosses. Rares gets crushed, aoe get even harder crushed, only bosses can feel a bit slow, i believe. We'll see, i hope to get lvl 71 tomorrow so i can equip my gear but i'm gone most of the day.

I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Okay, now i've reached 71, equipped all the gear, and it far exceeds my damage expectations.. it just rapes everything and fast too. Whole screens at once, and map bosses in 5-10 seconds. I'm still doing around 70 maps, but this dps is more than sufficient to handle everything. Power of Mjölner.
a video would be appreciated :D
Path of Exile: Rise of the Thunder God

Also recommend an autohotkey macro that will always press shift when u hold the right mouse click (so you don't have to press shift to use lightning strike right). Imo lightning strike should function that way, current way makes zero sense.

"
RButton::
{
Sendinput, {Shift down}{RButton down}
keywait, RButton
Sendinput, {RButton up}{Shift up}
}
Return

Reached 76 now. I have some things to do over the next days and during the weekend, but next week i'll be focusing on hitting 87 and then i'll do some video to show the build.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Oct 30, 2014, 5:15:26 PM
This is some kind of development log of sorts..

I have just come home from work and i have had some time there to consider how i would handle the couple shortcomings i had run into. I wanted to create a pretty much immortal character, and wasn't satisfied with one that was immortal 95% of the time.. I wanted to create a character that i could fool around and just do whatever i wanted with little care, so..

I ran into 3 problems.

1 was chaos damage, given i was hybrid with lowish hp pool. I still haven't died to chaos damage and i'm currently level 81, but it's a problem. Luckily that will be solved with gears, i am not worried about it at all (except that the gear i need is not on the market, lal).

The second was corrupting blood. When solo you will never have problems with it, but i was boosting some random parties in maps, and it had no curses and some super lightning resistant monster, that lead to me running out of potions and actually died coz i failed.. That's just what it is, corrupting blood, simple don't emthy your stauching potions will handle that.. no biggie either, don't think i will ever repeat that.

The last and by far biggest issue was elemental reflect. I had imagined aegis aurora would handle that, but apparently the blocking of reflected damage doesn't heal you. One time i was boosting a 6m party in that unique map that becomes fatal after some time(and yes i had roughly enough damage for that). I don't know what the party was doing, but i was clearing 2 rooms ahead while they were fighting something random, and i ran into a huge pack with a reflect. That 1 time i died due mobs having 6man hp, so i could pump full damage potential leading to my death.. I have no reflect issues solo, but it's a reality that sometimes it's a weak party, and then it's possible to kill myself.. I wasn't satisfied with that.

So after long considerations including many different alterations i seem to have become decently satisfied, at least i have created an even more tankier version, that now is completely immune to reflect as well, leaving the only real weakness chaos damage, which, yet again, doesn't really worry me because with good enough gear i can get 42% resist.

The build

So among other changes are that i'm dropping the +1 max fire resist cluster and some other things, including 1 6% aura effect node. What i get are Ghost reaver, vaal pact and 40% elemental damage, with that, i will swap iron will out for life leech. So, in effect, i will lose 29% of my damage to gain instant energy shield leech, making me even more impossible to kill, just enough for double ele reflect to practically never be a threat. Also, I will never have reflect issues solo so i can just use iron will there, or in good parties, meaning, those 40% nodes i picked will mean an increase in solo party if i wanted to max clear speed, but this build it already rapes... haven't leveled this fast in as long as i can rememeber, really blazing. The problem is that now the build needs a very high level to be near complete, like lvl 95+, but it is also better...

Well anyway, that it, and what a huge wall it became.
Are you not helping a single bandit?

Or if you do:
In your 120 point tree, what 1-3 nodes do you drop?
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
I'm not helping a single bandit. A life % point is better than 40 life for this build, and i don't need 8% attack speed. Rather, i wish i had around 10 points more to overcap all defensive aspects, but i'll have to make due.

---

Small update to progress...

Haven't leveled this easy and worriless since... ever. Haven't failed a single masterquest. Haku missions the totems heal me etc, vorici all can be done(including kill target no guards, tho takes a couple mins with just standard attack and gems disequipped). Exiles die in 5-8seconds with no risk involved etc. That is solo,

Also not entirely convinced about the build change.. The option i'm sort of most interested in, is this build:

Build(link)

It's almost the previous one but without ghost reaver, and instead healing instant on the life pool. Will make me resistant to chaos due to vaal pact healing up life, and in case i slack and keep burning myself down on reflect it will stop me from killing myself when it reaches the life pool. The downside is that i have to slow my dps on elemental reflect maps, because if i don't i'm just gonna remove my ES and have just life as a pool, but i think it would be overall most powerful with a disadvantage in ele reflect maps, so basically if i avoid them or just don't run them often it enough to be annoying, it will probably be the safest overall build in the nobrainer failsafe slackermode tank style.
I'm just posting these for reference mostly. I'm level 85 now, and my goal was 87 during next week so that's gonna be a complete pushover.

Now..

3 builds, ranging from initial, to middle ground, to endgame.

Initial (no leech)

- The early build, used till roughly level 90. It has no reflect protection, and is least gear dependant. Is is the build most vulnerable to chaos damage and reflect, nothing that becomes a problem very often, but still something you want to go away past 90. Also the highest dps, the later builds sacrifice 29% dps for leech.

Transition (life leech)

- The middle ground. This build has protection from reflect deaths by vaal pact life leech. It should not do reflect maps, since leech will only restore your life and thus leave you without an ES pool. Life leech also makes it more resiliant to chaos damage, addressing the two primary sources of potential death as you level past 90.

ultimate (es leech)

- The final ultimate build, the build that requires highest level (95+), and the best gear of the tree builds. This build vaal pact leeches energy shield, allowing you to do reflect maps and whatever else pretty much. It relies on having high chaos resistance from gear (72% is possible). The most tanky of all the versions.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info