Kry's Tri-Harold Lightning Arrow Build (crit and non-crit available)

******************************************************************************************************
Kry here wanting to share a recent in progress project build of mine I have been playing as of late and it has proven to be very successful and very fun, my Tri-Harold Lightning Arrow build. There are two version of this build, a crit and a non-crit, and both will be listed.
******************************************************************************************************

The main focus of this build is not actually Lightning Arrow (LA) but rather Herald of Fire (HoA), Herald of Ice (HoI) and Herald of Thunder (HoT). The basis of the build is to combine the three harold skills and utilize their secondary on kill mechanics to the fullest dealing a great deal of on kill damage as well as provide culling strike.

The Function:
Spoiler

The build functions around generating all three status effects to result boosting personal damage as well as generating massive AoE DPS on kills. This is done through the three harolds.

Required Gear
Spoiler

This item is cheap, very cheap. You can easily afford one starting fresh by the time you hit 35.

Optional
Spoiler

Primary sources of status effects

Spoiler

Freeze
Lightning Arrow was chosen for a few reasons. One it provides a great AoE once combined with pierce or chain. (With this build it's AoE is pretty good even before these additions). The other is the fact that it is lightning damage. The biggest issue I found when theory crafting the build was how to maximize freeze chance. Placing 3D into the build allows LA to freeze rather then shock and since it is the greatest portion of the upfront damage it will give us the longest possible freeze. This is great for survivability.

Shock
Shock is generated through the 15% increased physical damage as fire gained from HoA. We do not need extremely long times for shock as mobs will not live for very long. This is a great damage boost that is always welcome.

Burn
The burn is applied from HoA's overkill mechanic. Crit will obviously apply the greatest overkill to boost this but really this is just for finishing off the last bit of HP of surrounding mobs, if there ever is any.

Pyre:
This ring can be used to give a bonus to the overkill burn damage as well as allow all ice damage to become fire providing a slightly larger fire damage per hit with LA and making the HoI overkill mechanic another source of shock. Since HoI destroys frozen corpses anyways, the downside to this ring can be ignored.

Though we do have other sources that generate status effects, these are just the big ones that will provide the greatest time.

Crit vs Non-Crit & Pros vs Cons
Spoiler

The first thing to understand on status effects is that the duration is based on damage dealt of that element to a percent of the mobs life. The larger chunk of HP you take off per hit the longer your effects will last.

Crit versions will apply a large amount of damage in a given hit giving bar far the greater amount of effect with the harolds. But of course crits do not always happen and the gear can be expensive at times. Also reflect can be very, very dangerous.

Pro:
very high damage
very good survivability
very fun and very colorful when this explode
the aura glows make you look epic
fast clear speeds
dat crit puncture
HoT CULLING!!

Cons:
bit more gear intensive
reflect can kill you if you are not paying attention with any crit build

Non-Crit builds suffer in two ways: They cannot apply status effects directly without the use of %status effect nodes and their duration is far less. The upside to this style is gearing is generally a lot easier and though you wont be applying long duration effects you will be applying them more often. This is true of course until the crit build sinks a bit of currency into their gear.

pros:
Cheap
Good damage
very good survivability
very fun and very colorful
frequent status applications
good clear speeds
HoT CULLING!!!!

cons:
not as good single target

The Crit Build
Spoiler
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgIAAF4Zju2DCC6bjf66fXXTfu96Sn2Hdmeg_MU6s90NkArBM4bOIXZbr6Cfb_I51HfXVvox-nb3jX0wfH8rI_ZNkiT951RRR__eOkJLeN2oMHHUIwW1jb_Wis3q6NbrFHBSKgvz6rVIbWzndAMeH0EGIxa_VUth4iaVjDYaj_ba-wkZipu1IurA40tX8bNvnspKwzp3B4cTnKSDCTY9YqydqmyMuXyMC-yw2L01krXybqpKyD8nKk0VICzpMZ6mV03j_o-kOdCBR-Ii4nDVidOv6-4O

The Non-Crit Build
Spoiler

Starting as Shadow is ideal as it gives us early access to the status nodes.

https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgYA_5OwklHZotmw2FVLYeImlRa_jDYc3C1HUEKCHohCwcV_xuwYUrI3geNW5OtnvU-v9Ok2iSepH0EDHrVIBiMaj_ba-wkZipu1wONLV_Gzb57KSsM6gwlsjJ2qNj1tbGKs6NYi6jpCS3jdqDBx1CMFtSpNfVusR1FMMZ6mV03j_o81krXybqpKyD8n2L3yRf4KOuGm4H8CMpTZxpUFUUeNv8qpXWia8QiJTZIj9o19MHzN6tN-73ruDqOK_rp9de2DGY4AXggu53TfhAL-6xTWin8r

Some personal preferences in the tree such as the 5% chance to freeze by the shadow start. Since freeze stops mobs in their tracks I found it very useful to have this extra bit.

Grabbing HP and heading for the shock nodes in the beginning and grabbing at least the Fingers of Frost freeze node cluster before level 35 and you equip Three Dragons.

Gem Setups
Spoiler

Primary AoE
LA + Blood Magic + Life Gain on Hit + Lesser Multiple Projectiles + Chain + optional

The optional slot is up to the user and the build.

Primary Single Target

My primary 5:
Puncture + BM + Phys. Projectile Damage + Trap(if you want it) + ...

options for 5th and 6th slot:
Crit Multi
Crit Strike chance
Accuracy
Faster Attacks

Harold of Ash:
HoA + Inc Burn + Reduced Mana

Harold of Ice:
HoI + Reduced Mana + Culling Strike

Harold of Thunder:
HoT + Reduced Mana + Culling Strike

I love Harold of Thunder... It is a wicked good aura. Culling strike is absolutely AMAZING with Harold of Thunder. It's chance to freeze provides some very welcome extra bit of defense.

Link HoI + HoT into the same 4L

Defense
Purity of Lightning + Reduced Mana + Purity of Fire (if your links allow otherwise just swap as needed)
OR
Grace + Reduced Mana (I find I don't need grace most of the time).

CWDT + Endurying Cry + Immortal Call + Increased Duration

Obviously you cant run all these reduced manas at once...Just link together as you can

Auras if you want them would include:

Assassin's Mark (Crit)

Elemental Weakness (non-crit)
or
Projectile Weakness (non-crit)

Gear
Spoiler

Armour
Keep your HP up and your resistances maxed. Since this is an evasion/dodge build you want to take as much evasion as you can. Armour/Evasion gear may help with linking.

Jewlery:
Primarily work on HP and Resistances again. After this is squared away you can focus on crit for you crit builds or flat damage for you non-crit builds.

Weapons
I HIGHLY suggest using the following two bows.

Deaths Harp @ Level 33 - Epic bow and will last you till 53.

Infractem @ Level 53 - You next big upgrade as well as providing you with a free gem link, Pierce.

Both bows are dirt cheap and you will not have problem getting them.

Warning: Lionseye.. Since we are an evasion build, Lionseye will kick your butt when fighting reflect. Use at your own risk.

Ideal: High pure physical damage bows. Obviously we want cirt mods for the crit variation.

In the mood for something a bit more...molten? You can check out my other guide here:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/911557
Last edited by Kartikdon on Oct 28, 2014, 9:38:34 PM
Any vids?
If you can recommend a good free program to use I will see about getting some videos up.
should be able to record with OBS
ign - Clex

twitch.tv/clexxxx

Waiting for GGG to add DARKSHRINES and patch 1.2 for custom leagues.
pointless bump for reasons you dont care about
I am loving this build! So much fun, been wanting to do a tri-herald build for a while, and this is exactly what I wanted.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info