Introduce steampunk firearms

I feel that the only thing missing from this game, besides dynamic lighting and rag-doll physics, is another type of ranged weapon.

Instead of bows you could have rifles like in Torchlight 2(shotguns there).

I feel that it would make more sense with the vast majority of dexterity skills, both visually and logically. And only some spells and skills would require visual tweaking.

I really think it would add a whole new dimension and life into the game.

Just picture an intricate ancient firearm, perfectly fitting into the PoE universe as lost knowledge gained.
Last edited by Cyten on Oct 28, 2014, 10:10:38 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Please no. No steampunk / cyberpunk junk in PoE.
IGN: Sociopathy
I don't think you understand the time/place that Path of Exile/Wraeclast takes place in...
"Just because you can't see the path through the forest doesn't mean using a bulldozer is the most efficient way through." -Rhys
You can already start to see the mixed reaction to this concept...

I sometimes like when games go steampunk with a mix of technology, swords, and magic. This can work for Final Fantasy or other more Steam Punk oriented games. But it doesn't need to be included in the universe of every game.

My understanding is that POE has more of an ancient greek backing... where missile weapons would be bows, javelins, and slings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Greek_military_personal_equipment

That doesn't mean there is not already some steam punk flavor in POE...

The Vaal constructs appear to be steam punk automatons; Vaal Oversoul, and certainly Dominus have some arguably steam punk qualities. And, what exactly was piety doing with her miscreations? Certainly there seems to be some applicable mix of technology/biology and magic.

But notice, these things are not common place among the people we have met so far. They are the crazy experiments of select few, and the lost technologies of near forgotten civilizations.

I honestly think that many steam punk weapons sit just beyond a fine line we haven't yet seen crossed, and it just simply may or may not happen.

This is completely up to GGG, and I whole heartedly respect their decision, as including or excluding it affects the universe and feeling as a whole. We're either at that point, or just before it. Who knows what Acts 4-10 will hold.
i feel like throwing darts or something like that would be more appropriate and more fun than any type of rifle. Youcould use pretty much every bow skills with darts.
Spears would be cool
"Axe bad! Fix please!"
"
i feel like throwing darts or something like that would be more appropriate and more fun than any type of rifle. Youcould use pretty much every bow skills with darts.

"
Strimlaren wrote:
Spears would be cool

I'd like to see blow guns (darts), javelins, throwing axes/daggers (Implicit projectile damage 1 hander?), spears, cross bows (2 handed and 1 handed). I'd like to see 2 handed weapons not be spectral throw-able.

Throwing axes/daggers could work if spectral throw has an accuracy/damage nerf, and these have an accuracy/damage buff to projectiles or etc - the kind of things that have being going on with spectral throw so far.

I'm not completely against steam punk blunderbusses or etc, but completely trust GGG to make the right decision there, whichever it is. Even if they were allowed, they'd probably have horrible accuracy, limited range, highly variable damage, and a slow attack speed, if they were some kind of early version.

Considering the Vaal Constructs, I'm not completely against some type of similarly themed minions, steampunk minions. I'd imagine this as a totem support gem or similar that creates essentially totems that are not fixed in place...

But see, you have to understand it's all just theming. Ranged weapons exist, no complaints. Does GGG want this theme in their game. Have any people really create this technology yet or not, and does that improve the world for the story GGG wants to tell.

I think whatever we see will be highly related to the people and societies that we meet with each new Act. Certainly the various different empires and civilizations had their own variations on skill gems and weapons. But of course, this is GGG's universe, and sometimes a universe is defined strongly not just by its inclusions, but also its exclusions.
Last edited by DragonsProphecy on Oct 28, 2014, 1:53:05 PM
"
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
"
TheWretch wrote:
"

There is undeniably already a lot of steam punk and steam punk like things in POE. See portals, and Vaal constructs, various bosses.

But these seem to be more the exception than the rule. Generally POE is a gritty, axe/sword/dagger/magic, undead/zombie/demon type place.
i agree to a point with the steampunk theme that poe has in places (E.G. dominus's tower, steam-powered portal effect micro-transaction or the voidgate portal effect) but guns arent something i could really see in poe though i would think it to be a welcomed idea i would rather see crossbows or something that involved more magic then science a projectile staff that gets an augment from a scroll or tome
Last edited by thunderquake on Oct 28, 2014, 2:25:25 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info