[Steam] Why did the 5,7 MB mini-patch take over 30 minutes to update?

I already asked this in the steam forums too, but I'd like to hear more opinions about it.

Today I downloaded the 5,7 MB mini-patch via steam auto-updater. While the download itself wasn't that slow, the writing took almost 30 minutes.

My question is: Is this a steam-updater issue; or are there some deceleration lines in the patch code; or did I accidentally do something wrong to slow down steam?

Screenshot

btw PoE patches in general all are applied pretty slow on steam.
ggg has no control over steam distribution system
It's a steam issue, will happen on there with any game that has 1 large game file rather than multiple smaller ones
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
I thought the download was taking extremely long considering how large it was supposed to be. I checked the download management tab in steam, and it's showing me as having 3.4 gigabytes of patching left to download. I'm playing on very slow internet at the moment so this mistake on steam or GGG's part (I have no idea what the process is for putting updates up on steam is like on steam's and the developers' ends) is going to make me miss 2 races.

Really wish they could have been more careful, because right now I'm being forced to redownload the entire game I think. If anyone knows how to somehow bypass this or manually update the file within steam I would be eternally grateful. This has nothing to do with the way the game is set up (no modern game has a single file, that's just not how it works, by the way), and I've never had to redownload the entire game for any of the previous patches since I started playing.
Last edited by gakpad on Oct 28, 2014, 12:45:55 AM
I'm not sure where you're getting your information from, but PoE uses one main content file (massive file) for its content. So yes, it is patching that one large file mostly. This takes a while on Steam, especially if there are issues with the content file. Don't like it, don't use Steam.
Last edited by Drakier on Oct 28, 2014, 2:51:21 AM
Show me where in the folder is the 3gb+ individual file? Regardless, I'm not sure what you're saying - that steam needs to redownload the entire game every time there's a patch? That's clearly wrong, and my issue is obviously that something went wrong with steam and I'm being forced to redownload the game in error from something that happened at some point putting the patch up. There's virtually no way to determine if the way GGG uploaded the file for updating caused my problem in my specific case or if it was steam given the information available to us
Last edited by gakpad on Oct 28, 2014, 3:22:14 AM
Due to the way Path of Exile's patching works, we use a large content.ggpk file with all the necessary in-game files. This is quite a large file, and can be found in the following directory:

Local Disk (C:)\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Path of Exile

Due to the way Steam patches games, this can mean redownloading this large content.ggpk file for each patch. If you have a slower network connection and find these patches to be too large, you are welcome to instead use our Standalone Client.

However, if you have already fully updated your Path of Exile and feel that there is an error here, you can try to Verify your Game Files. There is an excerpt at the bottom of the first post of this link for Steam Users to do this and confirm that the file is fully updated.

If there's still an issue here, feel free to post here and fellow forum members can approach this where appropriate.
Need Support? support@grindinggear.com.
"
gakpad wrote:
Show me where in the folder is the 3gb+ individual file? Regardless, I'm not sure what you're saying - that steam needs to redownload the entire game every time there's a patch? That's clearly wrong, and my issue is obviously that something went wrong with steam and I'm being forced to redownload the game in error from something that happened at some point putting the patch up. There's virtually no way to determine if the way GGG uploaded the file for updating caused my problem in my specific case or if it was steam given the information available to us

Yeran already gave you the location, but as for the other question, Steam does have to download a lot because of the way it patches. It does byte-patching which requires a large download then a long comparison time so it can figure out which bytes are changed and patch them. This is not specific to you. The one thing people sometimes do which can make or worse is to corrupt the content file by running the ggpk defrag against their Steam version. I don't imagine you've done that though considering you didn't know they had it.
"
Yeran_GGG wrote:
Due to the way Path of Exile's patching works, we use a large content.ggpk file with all the necessary in-game files. This is quite a large file [...]

So it's B) decelerating lines in the code.

Thank you for the clarification. :-)
what is a "decelerating line in patch code" mean exactly?

GGG's code doesn't specifically or artificially slow down patching.

the actual answer is A. It's specifically an issue with Steam patching. It doesn't have the same "problem" on the stand-alone client.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info