Phys to Cold conversion, buff phys or elem??

I am playing a 2H mace BM node glacial hammer...

1) Do the 2H melee dmg and Mace damage nodes affect my physical damage before conversion, or after? I am assuming before...so if I have 50% extra phys it would look like:

100 dmg x 1.5 = 150 dmg which becomes 75 phys and 75 cold.

Is that right?

2) If above is true, in a 50% conversion scenario, is it always better to just buff physical rather than trying for phys and elemental buffing (ignoring freeze duration from dmg)? It seems like it would be.

3) BUT...if I am wearing Hrimsorrow and getting another 25% cold converted so now I am dealing 25% phys and 75% cold, would it then be better to aim for a mix of phys and cold? Phys to get your base number for conversion up, but then cold to really jack the cold damage since it is now 75% of the final output?

4) Going to only 25% final phys damage is going to hurt my life leech a lot, right? Can I overcome that by just stacking more leech, like wurms molt + carnage heart + 2% on a ring?

Thanks for any insight! Cheers!
it is better to stack phys damage, because it will increase both your phys and cold(converted from phys) damage. cold/elemental will affect only cold part

for the purpose of modifying damage, your converted cold damage is tagged as both cold and phys, even with 100% phys to cold coversion
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
And to add a bit to that: Multipliers are calculated after Conversion. Physical Damage first Converts to Cold, and then Cold is multiplied by Phys/Cold/etc. modifiers.
"
Halezor wrote:
4) Going to only 25% final phys damage is going to hurt my life leech a lot, right? Can I overcome that by just stacking more leech, like wurms molt + carnage heart + 2% on a ring?

Pretty much, if you deal only a quarter of your damage as physical you need to have four times as much leech to be able to leech the same amount as straight physical build.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
"
Vipermagi wrote:
And to add a bit to that: Multipliers are calculated after Conversion. Physical Damage first Converts to Cold, and then Cold is multiplied by Phys/Cold/etc. modifiers.

That is very unintuitive...why would the Cold damage, that has already been converted from phys damage, then go on to be buffed by physical damage nodes?? I am not saying that isn't true, it just seems odd and not overly apparent from mechanics wording (to me).

So really...if all that is true...is there ever any reason to buff elemental or cold damage for glacial hammer? Would buffing the cold damage (through cold nodes and weapon elemental damage nodes) increase the freeze duration and my chance to freeze a mob since the total cold damage being dealt is higher...or is that same thing accomplished by once again only buffing phys?

What would be the benefit of wearing Hrimsorrow for the extra 25% cold conversion if the cold damage is just going to be buffed by physical damage nodes anyhow?

PS - Thanks for all the replies! I have been on the Wiki and read GGG_Marks conversion examples but I wasn't getting it as clear as I wanted too before I committed skill points haha.
Last edited by Halezor on Oct 24, 2014, 10:28:20 AM
"
Halezor wrote:
So really...if all that is true...is there ever any reason to buff elemental or cold damage for glacial hammer?

It is.

And for converted damage attack you indeed have no reason to boost elemental instead of physical. If you convert less than 100% you should go for physical bonuses because it affects all your damage, and if you convert 100% to elemental you should go for physical bonuses again because they're usually somewhat beefier.

Weapon elemental damage are useful if you also do a lot of damage that wasn't converted, by using flat damage auras like wrath or anger, or if you have high elemental rolls on your weapon, or if your weapon does prevalently or fully elemental like Dyadus or Oro's sacrifice.

As for the point of converting, you usually want to convert physical to elemental to take advantage of elemental status effects. For those you're willing to reduce your leech potential and deal with resistant enemies. Also, if you manage to convert 100% of your damage to elemental you can use melee (or projectile) physical damage support along with WED support, which gives you an extra multiplier.

Last edited by raics on Oct 24, 2014, 10:42:28 AM
"
raics wrote:
"
Halezor wrote:
So really...if all that is true...is there ever any reason to buff elemental or cold damage for glacial hammer?

It is.

And for converted damage attack you indeed have no reason to boost elemental instead of physical. If you convert less than 100% you should go for physical bonuses because it affects all your damage, and if you convert 100% to elemental you should go for physical bonuses again because they're usually somewhat beefier.

Weapon elemental damage are useful if you also do a lot of damage that wasn't converted, by using flat damage auras like wrath or anger, or if you have high elemental rolls on your weapon, or if your weapon does prevalently or fully elemental like Dyadus or Oro's sacrifice.

As for the point of converting, you usually want to convert physical to elemental to take advantage of elemental status effects. For those you're willing to reduce your leech potential and deal with resistant enemies. Also, if you manage to convert 100% of your damage to elemental you can use melee (or projectile) physical damage support along with WED support, which gives you an extra multiplier.

Awesome, excellent info all, thanks!

I am running Hatred, and planning to take a couple of the "increases effect of auras" nodes (15-20% total) as well, so would it then be worthwhile, do you think, to take some of the easily accessible Elemental damage nodes if my Hatred is adding an additional 40% cold damage to my output?

Does Hatred look at my physical before or after my physical is buffed by phys damage nodes? I am hoping after, haha.

And adding more cold output in general will increases my freeze status effect from what you are saying, and I am aiming for a "screen freeze" type effect with melee splash and elememental prolif.

So, in conclusion I think I am getting that it is a good idea to buff my elemental a bit (with easily accessible nodes) to achieve an increase in my added cold damage and status effects, but the bulk of my damage is going to come from the sweet sweet mace/2H damage nodes I can take.

THANKS!
"
Halezor wrote:
Does Hatred look at my physical before or after my physical is buffed by phys damage nodes? I am hoping after, haha.!

'Added percentage of x damage as y' also carries the property of damage type it's based on, it's virtually the same as converting damage. Hatred bonus is based on physical so it will get increased by physical bonuses too.

Last edited by raics on Oct 24, 2014, 11:40:15 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info